Mahindra 575 DI tractor

/ Mahindra 575 DI tractor #1  

Tim Stuart

Silver Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi bd2h dozer, Gradall G3WD, New Holland TC35a, Chevy Dump Truck
I have a 1994 Mahindra 575 DI tractor that the hydraulic pump has went out on me believe. The rear 3-point lift and the front-end loader have ceased to working. I have broke the lines lose at the pump and no fluid flows when the engine is running. In fact there is a rattle in the pump that was not there before. Is there a hydraulic filter on the tractor some where I would need to check? Can the pump be rebuilt at my local hydraulic shop? I know that some of the power steering lines on the tractor are British fittings. Did they also change the pump around so the internal parts are hard to find? I call my Mahindra dealer and they want $800 for a new one. (Does this sound reasonable?) They told me that they don’t offer a rebuild kit. My last question would be is there anything I should look out for when pull in the old pump off or putting the new or rebuilt one back on? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

/ Mahindra 575 DI tractor #2  
I had a pump put on my 5005DI. I didn't bother checking around for rebuilds but labor and all was about $1800.00 (Bear in mind they had to take the front cover off my engine as the pump had locked up and shaved off a few gears on the front of the engine.)
I do not remember how much the pump itself was but that sounds about right. If it is the same style pump as my 5005 then you will be getting the power steering pump as well since it is a tandem pump. Main hyd. is in front and the power steering is tacked onto the back. Once again, all of this info is IF your pump is similar to my 5005DI.

/ Mahindra 575 DI tractor
Hudr, You are correct mine has the power steering pump attached on behind, That is what is bothering me so much about changing it out. The power steering is still working fine. Thats why I had asked about the filter thinking it may be it was clogged. I was kind of hoping that a expert here my tell me to check X or Y before I tore it all apart. I have had the tractor for about 3-4 years now and one time before about a year and half ago it all quit working the 3-point and fronted loader. I broke the line lose feeding the fronted end control wobble stick than fluid started flowing again than it started working again like it should. At the time I just had figured it had gotten air locked.

Thanks for your reply and any other thoughts or advise!!!!

/ Mahindra 575 DI tractor #4  
Tim,
Air in the system being sucked in from a pin hole, a dirty of clogged strainer or low fluid would cause it to do that too. I would check those to be sure you have not overlooked something in that respect.
After doing that if it still does not pump and there is that noise in the pump like it's broken, you could take the pump off and check it yourself.

I had to check mine when I had similar symptoms on my KM554... I thought the pump might be bad.

I took it off and ran it using a hand drill connected to the pump shaft using a rubber hose and hose clamp. I connected the inlet (suction via a hose to a bucket of hydraulic fluid and an exit hose back into the bucket. The drill motor spun the hydraulic motor enough to check the flow.

It flowed just fine. Turned out my strainer was plugged.

/ Mahindra 575 DI tractor
3RRL,THANK YOU for your detailed response. I worked on it again today, For the second time I removed the pump output line feeding the front end control wobble stick at the wobble stick (just like you did in your pics). I had the tractor sitting idling with the hose off hanging lose in a 5 gallon bucket and to my surprise after about 2-3 minutes of the tractor running the fluid started flowing again. I was totally shocked !!! I bet I let it run 15-20 minutes the first time with no fluid flowing. I than shut it down and topped the hydraulic fluid back off from a new can of hydraulic fluid that I had. I than went out and worked the tractor for about a hour moving some lose dirt that I had piled from digging a pond on my place. I only moved about 6-8 yards of dirt. The loader still had the lifting capacity but it worked in supper slow motion so I shut the tractor down not wanting do any more harm . I am thinking my strainer may be plugged reducing my flow? Do you or anybody else know where my strainer would be on my tractor? I have looked around and just don't see where it would be.

/ Mahindra 575 DI tractor #6  
Do you have a manual for the tractor or can you call the dealer? I am not familiar with your Mahindra at all so I can't help you locate it. Some tractors like mine have an external strainer container or spin on filter. Not only that, but my hydraulic system is separate from my transmission, being that it is a gear driven tranny. Some have the strainer inside the hydraulic oil reservoir. Changing or cleaning the strainer is a good start if you haven't done that yet. Also re-check the hydraulic fluid level, it may still be low now that you got fluid back into the working cylinders.

/ Mahindra 575 DI tractor #7  
And make sure all the suction line fittings are tight. It is far easier to suck air in thru a leak than to suck the fluid along the pipe.

/ Mahindra 575 DI tractor #8  
On my mahindra (6500) the strainer is located where the resivoir and low pressure return meet. You have to remove the low pressure pipe and clean the strainer. The resivoir is under the seat on mine. Hope this helps!

/ Mahindra 575 DI tractor #9  
Sorry I didn't address the strainer. On my 5005 it is in the reservoir where the return line is that goes back to the pump. There is a joint that has to be split on the right side of the tranny. The reservoir is also under the seat.
BTW what happened to my pump: The rubber hose that is clamped around the hard line (at the split) had a piece come loose from the inside of the hose (probably cut loose during assembly) and clog the return and starved the pump for fluid. So if/when you crack that open check both sections before putting it back together and look inside the rubber hose part for any loose pieces.