Mahindra 3525 decisions?

/ Mahindra 3525 decisions?
Brian,

Did you say you used to bale with your 8N, if so did you use a haybine and what size?

Mark

/ Mahindra 3525 decisions? #12  
I can't remember but it conditioned a swath of hay cut by a New Idea pull behind mower.

Don

Last edited:
   / Mahindra 3525 decisions? #13  
I bought my 3525 in March 2008 and the price was $15,500 w/loader.
mine was to replace my tired 2N and it seems to pull the 5ft brush hog just fine in 3rd or 4th low... probably could go faster but I have a lot of trees and rough ground.

/ Mahindra 3525 decisions? #14  
PetersonQH said:
Brian,

Did you say you used to bale with your 8N, if so did you use a haybine and what size?

Mark
No, I've never had my 8N or 3525 on a baler yet. But, when I was growing up on the farm, we ran our JD 24T baler with a Farmall 300, which I think is about 35hp on the engine, same as the 3525. I'd think the 3525 would do OK running a baler, horsepower-wise, as long as the windrows aren't too heavy. Rake them single, or maybe even double if they're light, and it will do OK. Heavy windrows raked double may be a little more than it wants. I used to help my other uncle put up clover hay, and he ran his 24T with a JD 60. When the windrows were heavy, the baler would make that old 60 snort pretty good ;). That's about all the experience I have with running balers with small tractors. As I got older and we got more tractors, the old 300 was relegated to rake duty and we put bigger tractors on the baler.

We used to have a JD 1209 mower-conditioner (haybine), and while it probably would be a little big for the 3525, it was light as a feather compared to the NH 14' haybine that we had. I'd imagine that a JD1207 or 1217 mo-co would not be a problem for a 3525. Again, haven't tried it, but I don't think you'd have any problems with one cutting hay/alfalfa. Now if you go trying to cut heavy stuff like sudangrass, etc, all bets are off. And, I think the NH haybines are built a lot heavier than the JD's... so if you have any hills, you might want a little more lead in your britches with the NH's. Morning dew and the first downhill pass could get a little exciting :)

I'm not saying that I think the 3525 would be the optimum tractor for all of these activities, but with a small hayfield like 8 acres, I think it can get the job done if that's all the budget will allow. It's not like you're going to be haying with it 5-6 days a week like we did on the dairy farm.

Last edited:
Brian,

Thanks for the reply you have been very helpful, I have been thinking the same. I only have 8 acres that I would try to get 3 cuttings of Timothy/Orchard/Alfalfa mix off of. Our property has a gentle roll to it, so I don't believe that would be an issue. I will still have someone cut for me until I can find the right cutting equipment, and I dont believe a conventional square baler of any kind, with my hay mix, would cause any problems with the tractor. I don't like to get too big a windrow anyway, for me they keep too much moisture in them, which can cause other problems and concerns.

Thanks again,
Mark

/ Mahindra 3525 decisions? #16  
I agree the 3525 should handle the baler well. The plunger will rock the tractor some but it should have enough hp to run the baler. We had a 14T when we farmed and ran it with a John Deere A or a AC WD-45. You might need to slow the tractor down some. I would think 2nd high or 3rd low would be as fast as I would go.

Don

/ Mahindra 3525 decisions? #17  
DonWorrell said:
I agree the 3525 should handle the baler well. The plunger will rock the tractor some but it should have enough hp to run the baler. We had a 14T when we farmed and ran it with a John Deere A or a AC WD-45. You might need to slow the tractor down some. I would think 2nd high or 3rd low would be as fast as I would go.

Don
Don,

Do you mean 2nd Low or 3rd Low? 2nd High is a little fast... probably faster than the fingers on the pickup can come around and pick up the windrow, at least with a JD 14 or 24. Now with some of the newer high capacity balers, it may be possible! Those things can pack away some hay! But, not with a 3525 leading the charge:p

/ Mahindra 3525 decisions? #18  
xlr82v2 said:
Don,

Do you mean 2nd Low or 3rd Low? 2nd High is a little fast... probably faster than the fingers on the pickup can come around and pick up the windrow, at least with a JD 14 or 24. Now with some of the newer high capacity balers, it may be possible! Those things can pack away some hay! But, not with a 3525 leading the charge:p

Yes you are probably correct.

Don

To all,

Thank you for your input, I finally pulled the trigger and am going to be taking delivery of a 5525 today. I figured for the price difference I was being quoted ($1100) I would go with the 5525 rather than the 3525. This will for sure run any hay equipment I may need and I will not have to doubt whether I got a big enough tractor, although it may be too much tractor...NAH! I will try to get pics later.

Thanks again,
Mark

/ Mahindra 3525 decisions? #20  
Good deal. Congrats on your purchase! You're right, no doubt that the 5525 will be enough.

How low did you finally get them down to on the 3525?