Machine for trail clearing?

/ Machine for trail clearing? #1  

Olympus

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS R3039
Guys I’m trying to decide if it’s worth buying some kind of cheap dozer or something for doing some trail clearing on my 100 acre property. I’m part of a state program and federal EQIP program to do some prescribed burns in certain sections of my property. Putting in the trails will serve as fire lines and I can divide off sections and do burns in different sections each year. There is a small amount of cost share up front to out the fire lines in, but there’s even more money after you do the burns. I’d be looking at around $1500 a year to do the burns. At that rate, I could help offset the cost of buying a small dozer or some other kind of machine.

The trails don’t have to be straight and they can weave in and out of the bigger trees and go through the smaller stuff. Trees that are too big for a brush hog, but take too long to do by hand with a chainsaw.

My grandpa says an old JD 350 would be good for this kind of work. Anyone have any thoughts? Can I find anything for say under $10k?

/ Machine for trail clearing? #2  
I burn my timber every 3 or 4 years. Driving trails are the best fire line.

Problem with the dozer or any earth moving equipment is every Winter Mother Nature is going to restock the paths with burnable material. So you'd have to re-doze them each year. Pretty soon you have a mess.

I originally cut my trails by hand, dodging large trees. I burn when it burns slow. Can always control the fires by policing the trails with my RTV and water tank/sprayer. For me slow burns better accomplish my goal.

As to the money situation. I don't see enough money here to ever justify a $10K dozer. Unless you can find a lot more work for it to do. Might be better spent buying a good brush cutter to use on the tractor?

/ Machine for trail clearing?
Well I thought I could use the dozer to maintain the trails. Or I could use my tractor and blade or landscape rake.

I’ve got a good brush hog, but the trees are bigger than the shear pin can take. It was select cut logged like 7 or 8 years ago, so I have a lot of 7 or 8 year old saplings. Too much for a brush cutter.

/ Machine for trail clearing? #4  
I guess it depends upon what you mean by 'trails'. My trails are 8-10 feet wide and I have about two miles of them on my 53 acres. Most of these were made with a mini excavator. The mini ex does minimal ground damage and is affordable enough for me to own and operate. I also have a mower for it that is handy for trimming branches, etc.

If a 'trail' to you is more of a 30-foot wide fire break, that is a different story and I think the dozer would work better. I think a 10k dozer would be more heartache than help. Same with a 10k excavator...

/ Machine for trail clearing? #5  
After reading on here for a few years a "$10K dozer" often requires a lot of maintenance.

If you've only got 100 acres and just want to make trails (ones that don't require a lot of earth movement) through 8 year old growth a skidsteer with a mulching head might be better.

Or a tractor with a mulching head

/ Machine for trail clearing? #6  
Well I thought I could use the dozer to maintain the trails. Or I could use my tractor and blade or landscape rake.

I’ve got a good brush hog, but the trees are bigger than the shear pin can take. It was select cut logged like 7 or 8 years ago, so I have a lot of 7 or 8 year old saplings. Too much for a brush cutter.

I had to chainsaw a lot of small trees to make my trails.

Unless you intend to move a LOT of dirt, it will be very hard to get them with the dozer. I think you'll still end up walking the trails with a chainsaw to get the ones you miss. For the dozer to get a 4" tree it has to get under the surface.

Future trail maintenance won't require the dozer unless you have steep hills that erode badly.

Anxious to see your project move forward though!!!

/ Machine for trail clearing? #7  
I don't have anything to add other than what's already been said. My only advice is to make them as wide as you can while the getting is good. It is amazing how trails narrow/close in over the years. That is especially important if you are trying to stop/slow down fire.:fire:

/ Machine for trail clearing? #8  
I hired a skid-steer with a forestry head;best money I spent on my property.

/ Machine for trail clearing?
I hired a skid-steer with a forestry head;best money I spent on my property.

I’d love to, but nobody in my area has one or uses one. Wished they weren’t so expensive or I’d buy one and get a nice side business! I’ve looked into renting a skid steer and mulching head. It’s like $1500 a day to rent one!

/ Machine for trail clearing? #10  
I wouldn't bother with that small of a machine. I have a 550 JD Dozer and I honestly wouldn't want anything smaller for clearing trails. Its pretty shy of 18k but its amazing how small it feels when you want some pushing power. I have also spent several grand putting an new undercarriage and did did every bushing and pin on the machine. Man what a difference that makes!