M4700 not charging

/ M4700 not charging #1  

RickB

Super Star Member
Tractor
Just a Scag
Not charging, no indicator lamp lit. Battery voltage at the alternator output terminal. Switched power at the smaller red wire in the two terminal plug at the alternator. No power at the white wire at the same two terminal plug. Fuses OK. Where does the white wire lead to/from? Could the problem just be a blown indicator lamp bulb? Not a Kubota guy. Thanks for any help, RickB.

/ M4700 not charging #2  
RickB said:
Not charging, no indicator lamp lit. Battery voltage at the alternator output terminal. Switched power at the smaller red wire in the two terminal plug at the alternator. No power at the white wire at the same two terminal plug. Fuses OK. Where does the white wire lead to/from? Could the problem just be a blown indicator lamp bulb? Not a Kubota guy. Thanks for any help, RickB.

Does the indicator lamp come on with the key? If not it's probably blown or disconnected. Without it the alternator may not get exciting voltage.

The two small wires bring exciting voltage to the alternator. You can do a no-load test by separately powering the small wires and then measuring the voltage at the big terminal as you speed up the engine (big red wire disconnected at alternator). The voltage should go up to about 14. If it's only 12v or less the alternator has a problem.

I recently replaced the alternator on my L3600 - got a new Nippondenso (same as on M4700) for under $100 shipped - check out this link

Last edited:
   / M4700 not charging #3  
Get that alternator warning light working first, I've known more than one vehicle where this is vital to the alternator charging.