Lug nuts/bolts doing a Peter Pan

/ Lug nuts/bolts doing a Peter Pan #1  

MinnesotaEric

Tractor
Kioti NX6010
I parked my tractor near the entrance of the property I'm slowly turning into a park and one of my neighbors happened to stop and look at my tractor and noticed one wheel had lost bolts and is working loose. The part book says the bolts are M16x1.5 but not how long. Does anybody happen to know the correct length?

Thanks!

48810377812_78fa070367_k.jpg

/ Lug nuts/bolts doing a Peter Pan #2  
Take the last one out and measure? Or any bolt from the other wheel. Or just measure the thickness of the rim, plus the lock washer and flange where it mounts and a add about an 1/8" extra.

Interesting that Kioti only uses 6 bolts on the rear wheels of a tractor that size.

On my much smaller 35hp Branson, they use 8 M14 fine threaded bolts or 2 stugs plus 6 bolts.

/ Lug nuts/bolts doing a Peter Pan #3  
So odd. I had the same thing happen on my zero turn this year, except I thought I had lost some air in my tire and that I just needed to go slow and get it back to the shop to fill it up. That was a huge mistake on my part because I lost another lug going there and then rounded out the holes in the rim, which I had to replace. $180 later I was able to mow again.

/ Lug nuts/bolts doing a Peter Pan
Apparently the size is M16x1.5x30mm and I'm guessing that it is grade 10.9.

Going to check my local Napas next time they're open.

Ordered 10 of them through BH16X1.5X3YLW - Hex Bolt Yellow Zinc 1.9 [BH16X1.5X3YLW] - $3.46 : Bel-Metric, Metric Hardware, Metric Fasteners, Metric Bolts, Metric Nuts & Time-Sert Thread Repair

And a box of 25 M16 lock washers through Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/SHORPIOEN-Metric-Split-Washer-BC-M16D127B-25/dp/B07S382K53/

I see from the photo the holes are egged out a little. Hopefully I won't need to weld in filler and drill because I don't have a jig to accurately hold a drill and by hand it'll be a PITA (if not good YouTube fodder).

Last edited:
Take the last one out and measure? Or any bolt from the other wheel. Or just measure the thickness of the rim, plus the lock washer and flange where it mounts and a add about an 1/8" extra.

Interesting that Kioti only uses 6 bolts on the rear wheels of a tractor that size.

On my much smaller 35hp Branson, they use 8 M14 fine threaded bolts or 2 stugs plus 6 bolts.

Sadly, the tractor isn't in the yard to puzzle thing out. Internet looks like it is 30mm long (which seems short without having one in hand).

/ Lug nuts/bolts doing a Peter Pan #6  
30mm long looks just about right to me.

/ Lug nuts/bolts doing a Peter Pan #7  
What did you torque the rims to?

/ Lug nuts/bolts doing a Peter Pan #8  
This is why I'm not a fan of a flat bolt/nut surface vs a tapered nut/bolt seat system. It can still happen with the tapered but I find it is less often.

/ Lug nuts/bolts doing a Peter Pan #9  
This is why I'm not a fan of a flat bolt/nut surface vs a tapered nut/bolt seat system. It can still happen with the tapered but I find it is less often.

A piloted hub with flat nuts is the is the work of almost every medium and heavy duty trucks. They can’t be that bad.

Here is how things played out on the repair. Torque specs front and rear are 203-234 foot-pounds. I went with 210 foot-pounds.