Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #51  
It is my understanding that soybean oil added (biodiesel) is far superior to other options in added lubricity. Your state may be adding bean oil to your diesel. It can be a seasonal additive. Here in MN, they add quite a bit (20%) in summer-delivered fuel, and very little (5%) in winter fuel. In my opinion, this additive is already adding plenty of protective lubricity. I try to keep a blend in my diesel can, of 5% winter and 20% summer. You may want to research my advice. Years ago I'd add lubricity, but in the last 15 years I don't bother since this mandated biodiesel thing.

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #52  
1710164512376.png

^ Not a lubricant

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #53  
What can I add to older (1980’s) Diesel tractor to add lubricity to the fuel.
Have been told that Automobile Transmission Fluid or Two Cycle Oil (used in two cycle engines) can be used but I do not know at what ratio. (How much per gallon of diesel fuel?) Other substitutes?
Lucas oil sells a jug of diesel treatment. I haven't had any issues with it.

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #54  
Have been told that Automobile Transmission Fluid or Two Cycle Oil (used in two cycle engines) can be used but I do not know at what ratio. (How much per gallon of diesel fuel?) Other substitutes?
I add 1 quart to 5 gallons on mine. it helps lube the injection pump and cylinders since the older tractors depend upon the sulfur and more oil in the diesel fuel for lubrication and todays diesel is more climate friendly so it has low sulfur and less oil in it

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #55  
40 years ago it was very common for truck drivers to add a bottle of atf every time they filled their tanks.

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #56  

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #57  
One of these are a possibility for any age of diesel.

Attachments

• diesel-additives-us.jpg
    diesel-additives-us.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 29
   / Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #58  
There is nothing wrong with adding a fuel additive for lubricity. If you can afford it and it gives you peace of mind, then go for it. I worked as a Dodge Diesel tech and as a fleet manager. The only fuel related failures I ever saw was customers running jet fuel in Dodge pickups without adding additional lubricant. Managing a fleet, going through thousands of gallons of diesel fuel every month on new and some very old equipment never saw a fuel related failure. A coupe of vendors tried to convince management to buy diesel additives, but we could never justify spending thousands of dollars a month on additives to prevent a problem that didn't exist.

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #59  
One old time farmer I know swears by 1oz of Marvel Mystery Oil per 5 gallons of diesel. I use Red Line Diesel Additive in all my diesel engines year round and Red Line Diesel Anti Gel in the winter. I am very happy with their products. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but once a year I put a full bottle in my 1980 Dodge truck and by the second tank of fuel it seems to be running smother. I put a bottle of Red Line in my wife's diesel Mercedes without telling her. She wanted to know what I had done to her car. It was running like it was new again. I have a new Branson tractor that I used the Anti Gel in this winter and had no starting problems even if I had forgotten to plug in the block heater. Another friend uses Sea Foam fuel additive in everything from his chainsaw to his tractor. If you look on the labels of most diesel additives you want to see that it is for adding lubrication to Low Sulfur fuel. Most of them do. Hope some of this helps and have a great day!

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #60  
How about adding a little filtered used motor oil to the diesel? It might be a good way to turn waste into something useful.