Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #21  
You can use Mystery oil.. 4 ounces to 10 gallons of fuel.. Same for atf or 2 stroke oil would be fine...
An old mechanic told me years ago that if you added MMO or ATF every other time that you filled your tractor up that you would never have to worry about rebuilding the injector pump, don't know if that is fact but it probably doesn't hurt by adding either of them for lubrication and he was a good diesel mechanic.

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #22  
No problem with me. You purchased it. You paid for it. You maintain it. This gives you the right to do with it what you want to.

That is why Howard Johnson's used to sell 26 different flavors of Ice Cream. Every one could get the flavor they wanted.
I miss the deep fried clam dinners....

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #24  
An old mechanic told me years ago that if you added MMO or ATF every other time that you filled your tractor up that you would never have to worry about rebuilding the injector pump
Never rebuilt one on my tractors and never seen one rebuilt or replaced in the Western Star shop I retired from and I worked there for over 28 years.
Replaced injectors, turbo's, did in frames, pulled engines and had out of frames done, rebuilt rear ends, did brakes, rolled in rod and cam bearings but never touched any pumps other than shimming them up for more power and torque rise. Forgot water pumps and radiators too. Cat owners love to crank them up and we worked almost 100% on Cat engines.

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #25  
The red dye is the problem used in on road vehicles it will
turn the inside of your tail pipe RED and if that happens you
get caught someone said that's automatic a $10,000 fine
I have used the PS white plastic container and so far after
many years of use no problems

willy
I've worked on or around off road diesels for several decades.(road pavers, chippers, skid loaders, front loaders, rock trucks, tractors, excavators, Etc. Etc.)

They all run off road fuel.
I have NEVER seen a red tail pipe from off road fuel

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #26  
The red dye is the problem used in on road vehicles it will
turn the inside of your tail pipe RED and if that happens you
get caught someone said that's automatic a $10,000 fine
I have used the PS white plastic container and so far after
many years of use no problems

willy

The exhaust pipe in my skid steer and mini x that have DPFs isn’t red and the exhaust in my old cat without that emissions stuff isn’t red either.

Last edited:
   / Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #27  
I had 1800 hours on my previous compact tractor, and 2500 hours on my current 35 hp tractor.
Dyed Off road fuel is all I have ever put in them. No red anywhere in or around the tail pipe

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #28  
I use additives & have since about 2010. Partly for lubricity and partly for anti-gel protection and partly because I don't know any better.
I've no knowledge how much difference in lubricity that the addities make, but I now know for a fact that even good commercial fuel doesn't always have enough anti-gel protection.

Times change. Fuel isn't as dependably good as it used to be.
So I use both lubricity and anti-gel winter additives - probably ought to use biocide too.

As I see it, the only downside to additives is the slight increase in fuel cost. The cost of not treating fuel and then dealing with sub-standard fuel is much higher. It's just insurance,

Here is a real good technical manual on diesel fuel that I ran across online. Chevron explains in great detail how they make diesel and what each step does .

The section on additives is at the end. It goes into many additives and why they are used.

Attachments

• Chevron's diesel-fuel-technical-review.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 74
   / Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #29  
Never rebuilt one on my tractors and never seen one rebuilt or replaced in the Western Star shop I retired from and I worked there for over 28 years.
Replaced injectors, turbo's, did in frames, pulled engines and had out of frames done, rebuilt rear ends, did brakes, rolled in rod and cam bearings but never touched any pumps other than shimming them up for more power and torque rise. Forgot water pumps and radiators too. Cat owners love to crank them up and we worked almost 100% on Cat engines.
There is a shop about 40 miles South of where I live and that's all they did until about 2009 and then they started cleaning/baking those regeneration cannisters on diesel machinery and trucks and they were able to stay open for 20 or so years doing nothing but injector pumps, so I bet there is somebody up around your neck of the woods that does it.