Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #11  
Howes diesel treat additive

welcome to the forum
Just another 'elixir' designed and marketed to relieve money from your wallet. Was always a bunch of hype about the lack of lubricity in ULSD and 99% of that hype never came to pass anyway. Only thing I use in ULSD is a biocide and nothing more and I rack up way more hours on my tractors that most on here do because I farm with mine. They are not 'hobby' tractors, they are working tractors. Change the oil and filters in a timely manner and use clean diesel fuel and no issues. I do have fuel polishing units on my tractors but that is only to mitigate junk in the diesel fuel and remove emulsified water and nothing else.

I don't buy into the additive hype and never have and I have had zero issues with mine and both have serious hours on them. Just had both in the shop for overhead adjustments and the injectors spray tested and all is just peachy.

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #12  
Technically.. sulfur isn’t the Lubricant. It’s not a very good one.
It’s the manufacturing process required to remove the sulfur, that strips away lubricant values of the remaining liquid

Here’s one explanation

I don't have a degree in Chemical Engineering so I rely on the information provided by the people who manufacture and make diesel fuel, the Refineries and they say, Sulfur, which is a chemical element, is what gives petroleum diesel its lubricating properties.

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #13  
Whatever blows your dress up. Don't blow mine up, at all.

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #14  
Whatever blows your dress up. Don't blow mine up, at all.
No problem with me. You purchased it. You paid for it. You maintain it. This gives you the right to do with it what you want to.

That is why Howard Johnson's used to sell 26 different flavors of Ice Cream. Every one could get the flavor they wanted.

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #15  
Just another 'elixir' designed and marketed to relieve money from your wallet. Was always a bunch of hype about the lack of lubricity in ULSD and 99% of that hype never came to pass anyway. Only thing I use in ULSD is a biocide and nothing more and I rack up way more hours on my tractors that most on here do because I farm with mine. They are not 'hobby' tractors, they are working tractors. Change the oil and filters in a timely manner and use clean diesel fuel and no issues. I do have fuel polishing units on my tractors but that is only to mitigate junk in the diesel fuel and remove emulsified water and nothing else.

I don't buy into the additive hype and never have and I have had zero issues with mine and both have serious hours on them. Just had both in the shop for overhead adjustments and the injectors spray tested and all is just peachy.
luck of the draw my friend based solely on your empirical experience. glad it has worked out for you.

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #16  
I have 7 tractors from 25 to 84 HP and from 1965 to 2021. I am a STO but being 82 and working alone, I use multiple tractors outfitted as the need occurs such that I don't have to keep switching implements often.

I have been user of Power Services products for the last 30 years at least. In addition to their products, when I fill up my fuel containers, I add a quart of ATF to 50 gallons of fuel for lubricity. In the last 30-40 years of using Diesel tractors (which is all I have), I have never had an fuel related problem with one of my tractors other than problems that I encountered with newly purchased vintage tractors.

Its not "snake oil"........Its insurance.

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #17  
Older engines are not immune to damage caused by modern day ULSD because they are old. Neither will running the home heating diesel or off road diesel in the vehicle prevent damage.

"Under Sulphur in Diesel Fuel Regulations (SOR/2002-254), the sulfur content of diesel fuel produced or imported was reduced to 15 ppm after 31 May 2006. This was followed by the reduction of sulfur in diesel fuel sold for use in on-road vehicles after 31 August 2006."

A reduction in Sulfur in Diesel was mandated because, SO2's, are emitted by the burning of fossil fuels or other materials that contain sulfur. Sulfur dioxide can damage trees and plants, inhibit plant growth, and damage sensitive ecosystems and waterways. It also can contribute to respiratory illness and aggravate existing heart and lung conditions.

Fuel producers when processing raw crude oil left the sulfur in the diesel fuel because it acts as a lubricant. Fuel producer today are required by regulation (SOR/2002-254), to refine the sulfur out of the diesel fuel down to 15PPM and place a Red Dye in Home Heating diesel to show that road taxes were not paid on the fuel. Don't ever get caught with Home Heating oil in a diesel vehicle on a highway.

That's felony tax evasion in the US. The government takes a very dim view of stealing from the Treasury.

In most US states, it's up to 5 years and 25 grand. If you're in the construction or farming trade, you will also lose the right to burn untaxed fuel in your equipment.
Farm Diesel contains the same dye because it isn't a "road use" fuel.

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #18  
The red dye is the problem used in on road vehicles it will
turn the inside of your tail pipe RED and if that happens you
get caught someone said that's automatic a $10,000 fine
I have used the PS white plastic container and so far after
many years of use no problems

willy

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #19  
I have 7 tractors from 25 to 84 HP and from 1965 to 2021. I am a STO but being 82 and working alone, I use multiple tractors outfitted as the need occurs such that I don't have to keep switching implements often.

I have been user of Power Services products for the last 30 years at least. In addition to their products, when I fill up my fuel containers, I add a quart of ATF to 50 gallons of fuel for lubricity. In the last 30-40 years of using Diesel tractors (which is all I have), I have never had an fuel related problem with one of my tractors other than problems that I encountered with newly purchased vintage tractors.

Its not "snake oil"........Its insurance.
Good grief you are an old fart...lol I thought I was ancient at 74. Guess I'm still a kid yet. Well, maybe a kid at heart but the body feels ancient.

I will admit I do use PS in cold weather (white bottle) but that's it. That and PS Bio-Kleen biocide always.

I must be fortunate then because with the hours I have on my tractors, 4K+ and 6K+ on them with no lubrication or fuel issues and no pump or injector issues, I've saved a bundle on ATF. I'll turn 7K+ and 5K+ on them this year I suspect and I expect both of them to outlast this old fart.

Like you I also have multiple tractors for the very reason you have yours, the older we get, the more difficult changing implements becomes and especially the tongue heavy hydraulic intensive ones like disc mowers and round bailers, I always dread hooking and unhooking them and it gets worse the more I age and my wife is little help, she's almost as ancient as I am...lol She's a good advice provider, but that is about it.

I think my biggest improvement was the addition of Racor fuel polishing filters to bot the tractors and now my diesel power lawn mower. While those have zip to do with additives, the strip out any water in the fuel and contain any debris, down to 2 microns in size. I'm more worried about debris and water than anything else. Back prior to retirement I drove big trucks for a living and my employer had a fleet of 60 extended hood Western Stars with big Cats in them and they were concerned with the lubricity issues with the then new ULSD fuel and I remember the Cat regional rep coming in ant telling the owners not to add anything to the fuel to increase lubricity because the Bosch pumps on the Cats could handle it and not have issues and far as I can recollect, we never had a pump or injector issue ever. I kind of take credence in that, in as much as my Kubota's both have the Bosch style pumps on them. The saved a bundle on additives as well and I'm here to tell you, those Cats were all cranked up too. I know, I bought one from them used and it's in my barn, hooked to a grain hopper. It's old and runs like a top and has never had any additive in it except PS in cold weather. Got close to a million five on it and I do need to have it in framed but for all I use it, maybe I won't. It's an NZ engine and they are worth a bundle today running or not.

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #20  
The red dye is the problem used in on road vehicles it will
turn the inside of your tail pipe RED and if that happens you
get caught someone said that's automatic a $10,000 fine
I have used the PS white plastic container and so far after
many years of use no problems

willy
Willy, I never looked at the tailpipe on my diesel pickup truck but being a law biding citizen-farmer I do use on road diesel in it and like my previous post, I've never added anything to the fuel in it either.

and.... I do use off road in my tractors but the inside of their exhaust stacks are all sooty black anyway because they do smoke when worked and none are emissions compliant anyway.