Comparison LS XR4145 or TYM T454? Anyone test drive both?

/ LS XR4145 or TYM T454? Anyone test drive both? #41  
I currently am in the process of building a house and went through some of this already so can offer some insight. For digging a basement if it's a full basement like what we have here, then no compact will work for that. It will take you months to dig even a small basement and move that amount of dirt. You're better off having someone with a track loader, full size excavator or whatever it is that is commonly used in your area. Digging a trench for a utility line, any will do however if the distance is very long then it will take a while. For a septic any compact tractor BH will work for that, we have two 1200 gallon tanks and even though we had a mini ex, a compact tractor BH would of worked however you may have issues lifting the tanks and getting them in the hole dug depending on how big and what they are made out of, that's why we used a mini ex. Ours where concrete. Stump removal and will work for that however if you're talking a lot of stumps have who ever is doing the foundation dig take care of that. We had a cat 963 clear out just over an acres worth cedars and stuff, sure a tractor could do it, one at a time at a very slow rate(like months). The cat went through it like it wasn't even there and cleared it all in just over a day.

Any compact or even sub compact will work for what you are wanting to do, I wouldn't get so hung up on the BH thing like you are, if you make a decision on a tractor based on the BH then you are making a decision for the wrong reason. The tractor itself is what you need to make a decision on, the BH is just a compliment to it. You have two tractors that are 2k apart, to me that's minimal and you need to go with not only the tractor that is most comfortable for you to use, but also the dealer you think will serve you and your machine better. Most of these tractors regardless of make/brand are fairly evenly matched when considering the same category, sure somethings are better on others and vice versa. We pretty much did what BlessedMess mentioned, have the experts w/the big toys take care of all the initial heavy lifting and we're going to take care of the rest/finishign work with the 4150hc.

/ LS XR4145 or TYM T454? Anyone test drive both?
Thanks for the insight! Our basement will be walk out, with the yard in front of the walkout being some fill, so I'll be using the FEL for some of it, but if we hit shale, it'll be time to hire an excavator. We'll hopefully be pulling down minimal trees, and I think they're mostly Juniper trees, so they should come out fairly easily. (Or so I hope!!)

I did notice that the Branson seat is noticeably higher in the tractor, and off the ground... that means more getting tossed from side to side on rough terrain... Not ideal for sure...

At this point, it's obvious I need to get on the Branson for a while, and possibly back on an LS again. The Branson dealer is 4 hrs away, while LS is about an hour and a half... LS guy is not wanting to deal much, so if I buy through him, it'll probably cost me a little more than it should...
Actually, what's obvious is that I should open an LS/Branson dealership in Cortez... I bet I'd get a good deal on a tractor that way!! :)

FWIW, the nearest Branson dealer used to be a TYM dealer. He said they stopped selling TYM because getting parts and warranty had become a complete hassle. Not a single parts order from TYM came in correct in the last few years he actually stocked tractors... He did say the tractors were very good, but it just wasn't worth the hassle of dealing with TYM corporate. I've seen that TYM owns Branson, but that's not really correct. They're both owned by the same investment firm, but they're really still two independent companies...

/ LS XR4145 or TYM T454? Anyone test drive both? #43  
Best wishes with your property purchase and tractor decisions... sounds like a really exciting time in your life.

Thanks! It'll be exciting and busy, I'm sure... thanks for all your help!!

Well, I found a way to avoid the decision of which tractor to buy... Just found a MF1455 on CL for what seems like a good deal. Roughly half what either the XR4140 would have cost me... It needs paint, but paint is cheap. 480 hours. With loader.

Loader lift specs are only slightly below the LS and Branson tractors I was looking at, and it has a higher lift than either, which will be good for lifting beams! Not a turbo, but with 55hp, I think I'll be OK. :)

If it doesn't work out, I'll do a bit of fixing up and trade it in or sell it and get myself a nice new tractor, but I think it'll be fine... About the only ding against it is the lack of rear remotes... I called and IF the kits are still available, they're ~1700 for dual and ~1400 for single... Not gonna happen... But perhaps I can order the block and valves for cheaper, and make the hoses and brackets myself, or adapt some other setup if I really want them. Not worried at this point. :)

For your viewing pleasure:
side.jpg

/ LS XR4145 or TYM T454? Anyone test drive both? #46  
Congrats, that's like my machine's grandpa! Let us know how it works in action.

Also, when comparing loader specs, don't forget to take into account the relationship between max lift weight and lift height... there are too many variables to be exact, but consider that if Tractor A can lift 1000 lbs to 80" and Tractor B can lift 900 lbs to 90" and Tractor C can lift 800 lbs to 100" ... It's possible that they are all the same "strength" and also possible that (depending on geometry and a myriad other factors) that Tractor C actually has a much stronger loader. Just food for thought.

Enjoy!

/ LS XR4145 or TYM T454? Anyone test drive both? #47  
I custom installed 3 rear remotes & TnT on my L3200 for under $2k. Mine looks better than factory to boot.

You just need to figure out where you can tap into the power beyond loop & get your own valves mounted somewhere nicely. The rest is just getting & routing hoses. Spend some time reading in the hydraulics forum & you'll get up to speed on what you need to know if you are handy.

Just a post to say that I'm very happy with the Massey Ferguson. It's a bit rough around the edges from sitting out it's whole life, but it works great! I recently discovered that the loader control had been installed wrong, and so what should have been quick dump was quick raise. Fixed that and voila, a much better working loader!!

I also bought a Bradco 609 backhoe for it... Hasn't arrived yet, but it'll kick the snot out of any of the mfg's backhoes. :) I'll have to build it a subframe, but as I got to looking at my tractor, it's obvious that it had a backhoe installed at one time. It has the BH front brackets hanging down off the loader mounts, and there are QD's on the hydraulic hose that goes from the pump to the loader valve... I may revise it some and run the BH off the loader's power beyond, before the 3PH. That way the 3PH can't be used when the BH is mounted, but that's probably a good thing. :)

I've been using it to work around the shop, and to move around a 28' gooseneck trailer frame as I build it. It seems plenty strong!
Tractor thread in my signature below!
To those of you reading this thread because you're interested in an LS or TYM, all I can say is go drive ALL the tractors you think might work. Specs alone do not tell the story, and you may be surprised that a tractor that didn't spec as well actually seems to fit you or work better...

/ LS XR4145 or TYM T454? Anyone test drive both? #49  
Congrats on your M-F and great to hear it has been working out for you. Look forward to reading about and pics of your backhoe project. Again, congrats.

/ LS XR4145 or TYM T454? Anyone test drive both? #50  
Glad it's working out for you, Chris. They do make excellent tractors.

To those of you reading this thread because you're interested in an LS or TYM, all I can say is go drive ALL the tractors you think might work. Specs alone do not tell the story, and you may be surprised that a tractor that didn't spec as well actually seems to fit you or work better...

This is absolutely true. My wife had her heart set on a Kubota, and I was kind of leaning towards an MF or a Mahindra, until we drove an LS. We both found it comfortable.