LS 4047R control arm break

/ LS 4047R control arm break #1  

Hemlock Shakes

Tractor
LS 4047R
Hello all,

Looking for some help here, snapped the control arm on the left wheel assembly yesterday. I have a 2014 LS 4047R. I was in uneven ground doing some road work and the right wheel hit a large rock in the bank I was pulling material from. The control arm snapped right where the tie rod connects. I am going to try and source parts tomorrow from my local dealer but will need to do the fix myself, they are backed up months in the service department. I have everything off on the damaged side. I am curious if I have another issue though, both steering cylinders are extended. There is quite a bit of pressure built up as both cylinders are at, what seems to be, their extent. Is there a way to adjust those cylinders to get them back in time? What would cause that to happen, steering valve / pump failure? Seal failure in one or both of the cylinders?I have attached some pictures of the damage.

Attachments

• IMG_3304.jpeg
    IMG_3304.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3305.jpeg
    IMG_3305.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3306.jpeg
    IMG_3306.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3308.jpeg
    IMG_3308.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 94
  • 70518485572__5171921F-B309-4E92-846D-FE4312D53F18.jpeg
    70518485572__5171921F-B309-4E92-846D-FE4312D53F18.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 83
   / LS 4047R control arm break #2  
The steering cylinders on that tractor are single acting cylinders. This means they will only extend when pressure is applied and won't retract on their own.

By having two opposing single acting cylinders, one will cause the other to retract when steering one way and vice versa. The easiest thing for you is to pull the hydraulic line of one of the cylinders out and retract it by hand. Just be aware that it will probably make a mess of hydraulic oil.

I believe the user @Avenger had the same or a similar issue with his LS tractor. He even have a video or two repairing it if I recall correctly.

/ LS 4047R control arm break
Thank you @ptsg , I wondered if it was a back pressure issue. I didn’t know if the cylinders caused the control arm failure or were a symptom of the control arm failure.

I just found that video and am frustrated I couldn’t find it earlier, I didn’t have to drop the hub or even take the wheel off! Waiting for the dealer to open to see if I can find parts, hoping for the best. I am going to do all the fluids while it is down anyway, good time to get to know the machine a bit better.

/ LS 4047R control arm break #5  
Pulled this of the LS parts catalog site, not sure if helps or not. Make sure it's the right one for you ( Left hand vs right hand) as I may have that messed up.

1683547040884.png

EDIT: Messicks has one in stock for $203 since some New Holland compacts are actually LS with different stickers and paint.

Last edited:
Found that yesterday @ptsg , what a great service that is on the LS website. I will see if Messick’s ship to Canada, doesn’t seem to be many other options here for LS parts than local dealers.

/ LS 4047R control arm break #7  
Thanks @ptsg for mentioning my video. When I saw this thread, I knew exactly what happened and how to fix. Then I saw the photos and started wondering why the entire assembly was removed. So yeah, simple enough fix. As stated in my video, I was wearing chains and I believe they got bound up in the loader bracket while turning on uneven ground. I heard a snap sound and watched the tires turn all the way out in separate directions. The tractor was still under warranty at the time, but the dealer was months out on repairs. So he sent me the parts and I did the repair myself.

I took the top control arm off and inspected the bearing. It seemed to be in good condition. My dealer sent along a replacement bearing and seal, but I didn't use the bearing, only the new seal. The hardest part was the grease zerk threads. They were a bit rough, so I had to chase the threads with a tap.

Getting the tires to point in the same direction was easier than I thought it would be. I lifted the front axle off the ground by using the FEL. Loosened the hydraulic connections at both cylinders, to allow the pressure to bleed off. I then thought I use a ratchet strap to pull the two tires parallel, but after the ratchet got full and wouldnt ratchet any more, I simply grabbed one tires and muscled it over. It went easy enough, don't think I would have needed the ratchet strap.

Here is the video if anyone is still looking. And more, newer videos are coming soon!

Upon further investigation, it looks like taking the hub assembly off was a good idea! The top bearing in the assembly had detonated, found it after draining the oil in the hub. There is a bit of damage to a few of the gears, hopefully that comes through in the pictures. I’ve got the dealer looking into the control arm and a filter set, i’m going to bring the hub to them and hope they can get it apart and find the bearing set / gear assembly.

Attachments

• IMG_3312.jpeg
    IMG_3312.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3313.jpeg
    IMG_3313.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 57
I’ve been on the Messicks website and have found the bulk of what I need, @ptsg, am I right to think that all the bearing assemblies, seals, etc that I find should be drop in fit? I’d rather source all myself than wait months for the dealer to tell me they can’t find parts. Part numbers are the same with the “MT” leading. The only reason I ask: there were a few bearing diameters mentioned in the description on the LS parts lookup that didn’t lineup with the description on the Messicks website, though the PN was the same. I am hoping one or the other mislabeled the description.

/ LS 4047R control arm break #10  
That would be very tough to say, specially if you're getting conflicting info between two different places.

Another possible way would be getting the numbers stamped on your current bearings and source them through a bearing supplier. Probably at a much more reasonable price.