Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon

/ Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #1  

cobracnvt

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320 and 345
I ran across a deal for the Lotos LT5000D from Amazon for $244.07 if you buy it from Amazon. Amazon is out of stock right now, but they still let you order it at the lower price.

I know that it doesn't have a pilot arc and is obviously cheap.

Is this plasma cutter any good for very limited use for light cutting? I am thinking about cutting sheet metal and 16 gauge 3/4" square tubing as examples of what I would be cutting the most and limited cutting of anything else up to 1/4".

Amazon.com: LT5000D Lotos LT5000D 50A Air Inverter Plasma Cutter Dual Voltage 110/220VAC 1/2" clean Cut: Industrial & Scientific

What is the general thought on this? A waste of time or worth giving it a shot.

/ Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #2  
Be concerned about the warranty. Go directly to their site to read the terms of their warranty. Pilot arc is important. I find that people always end up using the units for more than they ever thought they would, especially plasma cutters. So "very limited use" means different things to different people. It's hard to tell.

/ Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #3  
I like pilot arc, but my Esab which will cut up to 5/8" steel and zips through aluminum like butter is lift arc. Takes a bit of getting used to, but after a while I can cut as smoothly as anyone using a Miller or Hypertherm with pilot. Read all the reviews. If you have Amazon Prime you're covered.

/ Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon
Thanks for the replies Mark and Fawken.

For me, limited use is literally a couple of times per year at a hobbyist level. I use cutoff wheels now and was wondering how much of an improvement this low cost plasma cutter would be. I personally can't justify spending a lot of money for a nice plasma cutter based on how little I expect to use it.

I'm thinking about welding up a basic cab frame for my tractor for the upcoming winter and getting a new tool to use for it would make the project more fun.

It's a pretty big discount for it as Amazon has had it for around $400 since it came out. This web site tracks Amazon pricing and shows the big price drop in the graph: LT5000D Lotos LT5000D 50A Air Inverter Plasma Cutter Dual Voltage 110/220VAC 1/2" clean Cut (B004VFJL14) | Amazon price tracker / tracking, Amazon price history charts, Amazon price watches, Amazon price drop alerts | camelcamelcamel.com

I was just wondering if anyone on TBN had used this specific plasma cutter and had any positive or negative feedback for it.

/ Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #5  
Cobracnvt, I'm unable comment on the plasma you are considering. However it is my experience that whichever brand you end up with, you will probably find your grinder and cut off wheel will be quicker and more efficient for the 3/4" and 1" square tube you are using for your cab build.

I have a plasma cutter but use an abrasive chop saw or bandsaw for square tube under 6".

Terry

/ Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #6  
Do not buy this piece of crap... The one I had never cut right and the distributor would not make good on it because I did not buy it from them, I bought from Amazon. I ended up buying the Everlast and no problems after a year.

/ Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #7  
Do not buy this piece of crap... The one I had never cut right and the distributor would not make good on it because I did not buy it from them, I bought from Amazon. I ended up buying the Everlast and no problems after a year.

I don't know anything about a Lotos, but when you say, "...never cut right...." what do you mean by that? I've used Millers, Hypertherm, Eastwood, along with the Esab I currently own and they either arc or they don't. Torches can be changed out or perhaps your air was dirty or set too high? I love it when people say nondescript stuff like "...piece of crap," "...don't buy..." etc. I would never tell a person not to buy a mass produced item based upon my one, singular experience with said product. I'm happy to share my impressions and experiences, but a person's decision to buy or not should not hinge upon hyperbole and generality.

/ Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #8  
When the mfg refuses to honor a warranty then IMHO it is crap...hope you feel great on your high horse

/ Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #9  
I was merely asking for more details. Didn't cut right, how. Arc not stable? Too weak for the metal being cut? No arc at all? Don't plan on buying another Plasma, but you never know. BTW, how much did you pay for the Lotos?

/ Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #10  
Read up on MOSFET vs IGBT. The good ones are all IGBT these days.

I had my eye on the good plasma Harbor Freight had for years wanting one and when I finally went to pull the trigger and get one I discovered they discontinued it and replaced it with one all the smart folks said wasn't as good as the previous model (but for the same money).

I then started looking at other brands. I ended up ordering an Everlast SuperCut 50 but didn't realize at the time it was MOSFET based so the next day I discovered that detail and called and canceled that order before it shipped and upgraded to the Everlast Power Plasma 50. I've been very happy with it so far and it has a 5yr. warranty. All the new PP50's (March 2015) come with the new Trafimet/Innotech upgraded 60Amp torch (IPT-60).

Last edited: