lost nuts!

/ lost nuts! #21  
This has happened so many times to me my wife got tired of hearing me complain.

So, she buys me boxes of small zip lock bags. Tells me each and every bolt, screw, nut, washer or anything I remove goes into the bag. No if, ands or buts.

If I’ll be using them later (v immediately) I write where they came from in a marker on the bag.

Bags go in a box in the barn.

It was difficult at first but now I’m used to it. I feel kind of silly but then again there is never anyone around to see what I’m doing except her!

/ lost nuts! #22  
This has happened so many times to me my wife got tired of hearing me complain.

So, she buys me boxes of small zip lock bags. Tells me each and every bolt, screw, nut, washer or anything I remove goes into the bag. No if, ands or buts.

If I’ll be using them later (v immediately) I write where they came from in a marker on the bag.

Bags go in a box in the barn.

It was difficult at first but now I’m used to it. I feel kind of silly but then again there is never anyone around to see what I’m doing except her!
The only problem is getting them from your hand safely to the bag for storage, that's where the challenge lies, lol.

/ lost nuts! #24  
Agree with the ziplocks for non immediate use -fasteners for each assembly go together, labeled with a sharpie, and blue taped to a major component of the assembly. Helps some with demon fur balls aka cats and random movement events/jarring/rolling aka ghosts, but not so much if before getting it into the bag it drops off the workbench into the vortex of oblivion that is the workshop floor

My buddy uses a bolt "bucket" where every fastener for every assembly goes into a single coffee can and it drives me berserk - takes 3x as long to figure out where anything goes and you are guaranteed to have "extra" hardware when the job is done

/ lost nuts! #25  
Better to lose a couple of nuts than to lose your marbles... Though often one can cause the other to happen....

/ lost nuts! #26  
Had to replace the battery in my whole house generator this morning…..this thread made me cautious,so I put any screws, bolts, fuses, etc in a small plastic food container with a snap on lid while I was working……success!
You have better luck than me. I would have dropped the container upside down in a snow drift while trying to snap the lid on.

/ lost nuts!
I also once changed the cabin air filter in my wiles Buick. But I used one of the magnetic trays to put the screws into. Ain't going to loose them metal screws! Putting things back together, you guessed it. All but one screw. I searched that car ten times, wife looked too. Frustrated I gave up put tools away. Two days later I needed the tray again. Guess what was stuck to the bottom of the tray? You got it. The screw. I traded the Buick in and forgot about the screw.

/ lost nuts!
When I was young, my Dad always blamed me and my brothers for loosing his tools out of his tool box! I have no kids so I guess I blame my wife? She's always using something out of my tools. When I find the tool and ask her about it she says "oh I guess I forgot to put it back"??? Lifes little ups and downs.

/ lost nuts! #30  
My wife is a tool thief too. She knows where I keep them, so they are easy to find. But when I can't find one of my tools, I look in her junk drawer first, and that's usually where she put them.