Oil & Fuel Lose of hydraulic fluid when removing connections

/ Lose of hydraulic fluid when removing connections #1  

azop

Bronze Member
First time CUT owner, and first time dealing with hydraulic fluid...so ignore my ignorance.

I removed my FEL for the first time today, and when I disconnected the hoses about 1/4 of a cup of fluid came out before I could put the rubber boots on. I ended up having to hang the hoses from the FEL straight up, so they wouldn't leak either.

Is this normal? Did I do something wrong? Should I have vented the system somehow before removing the hoses?

/ Lose of hydraulic fluid when removing connections #2  
No, not normal at all. The caps are just to keep them clean-not stop them from dripping. Contact your dealer...

/ Lose of hydraulic fluid when removing connections #3  
Sounds like the check valves in the couplers are defective.

/ Lose of hydraulic fluid when removing connections
Blah. Thanks, I'll ask the dealer and see what line of BS I get. The tractor already has rust spots popping out, so I'm sure it'll be one of those "It happens" lines

/ Lose of hydraulic fluid when removing connections #5  
Hi Azop
I know what you mean by "one of those things". My hydraulic cooler in front of the rad is weeping oil. The ct235 is only 18 months old with less that 250 hours on it and they told me that it was not concidered part of the power train therefore not under warrenty. I still can't figure out how the the oil cooler on a hydrostatic transmission is not part of the power train. Go figure. Hope you make out better than I did.
VE6IAZ

/ Lose of hydraulic fluid when removing connections #6  
Is the unit new? I wouldn't stand for rust

Usually if the spring and ball don't keep all but a few drops of liquid from escaping it means there is some contamination in the oil. If it is a new unit I would get very concerned and make the dealer flush the whole system. If it is used I would do it myself.

/ Lose of hydraulic fluid when removing connections #7  
Hi Azop
I know what you mean by "one of those things". My hydraulic cooler in front of the rad is weeping oil. The ct235 is only 18 months old with less that 250 hours on it and they told me that it was not concidered part of the power train therefore not under warrenty. I still can't figure out how the the oil cooler on a hydrostatic transmission is not part of the power train. Go figure. Hope you make out better than I did.
VE6IAZ

I have the Kioti CK30hst, twin of the CT230. My cooler leaked at @100 hours and was covered under warranty. I'd do some checking because they should replace it. I had to replace it again, out of warranty and at my cost, at @250 hours because it leaked again. If I remember right it's around $150 for the part. I tried to find some other cooler that would fit but had no luck. The Kioti guys have been rubber mounting them where it's held on with the two bolts at the top. I drilled the mounting holes slightly larger, installed rubber grommets and remounted which gives it a little flex. I'm at 375 hours now with no problems.

/ Lose of hydraulic fluid when removing connections #8  
I have the Kioti CK30hst, twin of the CT230. My cooler leaked at @100 hours and was covered under warranty. I'd do some checking because they should replace it. I had to replace it again, out of warranty and at my cost, at @250 hours because it leaked again. If I remember right it's around $150 for the part. I tried to find some other cooler that would fit but had no luck. The Kioti guys have been rubber mounting them where it's held on with the two bolts at the top. I drilled the mounting holes slightly larger, installed rubber grommets and remounted which gives it a little flex. I'm at 375 hours now with no problems.

Hi Victor W
I like your idea of using the larger holes and placing rubber on the back side of the mounts and on the front. I will do this. As to the dealer, they can take a hike because I won't darken their door step again and you can rest assured that I am telling anyone who askes about their attitude.
Thanks VE6IAZ

/ Lose of hydraulic fluid when removing connections #9  
I agree that you either have defective couplers or your system is contaminated. If that much fluid is coming out, that much air is going in. It's going to give you headaches, plus you're more likely to get contaminants into the system, especially with the couplers pointed up to catch everything that falls on them.

As for the oil cooler, I just had mine replaced under warranty (CT225) this winter when it split. (I lost 2 1/2 gallons before I got it shut down).

-rus-

/ Lose of hydraulic fluid when removing connections