Price Check Looking for selling price advice for a B21 that needs a new rear axle

/ Looking for selling price advice for a B21 that needs a new rear axle
Thanks for the thoughts. According to the shop, the tractor is still usable and would just need to keep the fluid topped off. It drips but doesn't pour out of there so someone looking at could get a better idea that it's not a piece of junk. They are also going to get a salesman to give me a value on it both fixed and not. If he comes back with a price in the ballpark of what you all are thinking then I'm probably going to get it fixed. I figured it would be easier to sell fixed but don't really want to part with money I don't have...

/ Looking for selling price advice for a B21 that needs a new rear axle #13  
Selling to buy another? If so you may want to trade it to the dealer, who will be more willing to spend on repairing it, since for them everything is cost price, and they have tractor history and have investigated the repair. That might close up the gap somewhat.

/ Looking for selling price advice for a B21 that needs a new rear axle #14  
For 5k..I'm a buyer.

/ Looking for selling price advice for a B21 that needs a new rear axle #15  
Thanks for the thoughts. According to the shop, the tractor is still usable and would just need to keep the fluid topped off. It drips but doesn't pour out of there so someone looking at could get a better idea that it's not a piece of junk. They are also going to get a salesman to give me a value on it both fixed and not. If he comes back with a price in the ballpark of what you all are thinking then I'm probably going to get it fixed. I figured it would be easier to sell fixed but don't really want to part with money I don't have...

That's exactly what I would do, but being a mechanic I would also want to know more details on exactly what the dealer is expecting to repair. That includes a educated guess on why it got that way in the first place. So get him to show you what he thinks it is, and maybe take a look at the parts and shop manual too.

I would also get a second opinion on the repairs needed.

rScotty

That's exactly what I would do, but being a mechanic I would also want to know more details on exactly what the dealer is expecting to repair. That includes a educated guess on why it got that way in the first place. So get him to show you what he thinks it is, and maybe take a look at the parts and shop manual too.

I would also get a second opinion on the repairs needed.

rScotty

Thanks rScotty.

I was definitely thinking of getting a second opinion. There's a tractor repair place fairly close that may be able to do the work.

When they went to examine the leak they said that they were able to move the axle up and down and it appeared the housing was worn. Looking at the quote they list replacing both gears as well as both axle shafts, all spendy parts, and no listing of the housing itself. I realize they're making their best educated guess but I'm a bit nervous they will just replace everything even if it doesn't need it.

Selling to buy another? If so you may want to trade it to the dealer, who will be more willing to spend on repairing it, since for them everything is cost price, and they have tractor history and have investigated the repair. That might close up the gap somewhat.

Good point, thanks. I think I may buy another, unfortunately I won't be able to get close to the same TLB. I've been looking at the BX series with the financing they have on them I'd be roughly at the same monthly payment.

/ Looking for selling price advice for a B21 that needs a new rear axle #18  
$5000 and get a new one. Things wear out and need to be replaced

/ Looking for selling price advice for a B21 that needs a new rear axle #19  
Good point, thanks. I think I may buy another, unfortunately I won't be able to get close to the same TLB. I've been looking at the BX series with the financing they have on them I'd be roughly at the same monthly payment.

Still may be enough that they'd trade what you have against it, which takes away the risk in selling it. They then spend their own money fixing it and put it on the lot.

/ Looking for selling price advice for a B21 that needs a new rear axle #20  
$5000 and get a new one. Things wear out and need to be replaced

True, but finding wear in that area would be unusual in any tractor. I wouldn't expect the rear axle & bearing to show significant wear in 50 years. The housing, never.
rScotty