Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #62  
Happy New Year!

The wife wants to kill me as I made a 'small' purchase at the local auction house.... Just a little excavator. Nothing new to see here!

I tried to hide it, put it behind the garage and all such, but I got caught...View attachment 842175

Now, unfortunately, it needs a hydraulic fluid change - like over 55 gallons worth.

Any recommendations on an inexpensive source of hydraulic fluid with some actual specific approvals?

The cheapest I found is Service Pro (see PDF) in 55gal Drums - about $550/ea. or so. Looking to replace JCB's AW46 oil.

Thanks everyone,
BlakeView attachment 842173
I didn't read through all 7 pages - my fault if this has been covered already. So I ask: how do you know that the hydraulic oil needs to be changed out esp since this is a new to you rig? Obviously since its new to you is one reason as with any other fluid. But is the hydraulic off color or some other obvious reason? Did you get a manual that had receipts or records (gasp, congratulations)? Did you pull a sample for testing?

But really the first thing that comes to mind is the rig itself. If you had to do a repair on that unit the hydraulic oil would all of a sudden seem really cheap. And of course you want a good deal on a drum. When I last serviced my Kubota I didn't flinch and used full synthetic hyd/gearbox fluid. On the 410j I couldn't do that. But the system only holds an bit over half of yours. So I bought the best available. Screw the price (I am far remote so there aren't a lot of choices). Also, if I have a failure no lowboy is gonna get in and out so that's a major problem just to get the unit to a loading location.

But bottom line is now you can start from scratch with maintenance and records. Oil samples to a lab are your friend. If a problem develops and shows up in an analysis that report can even give you an idea what and where the problem may be.

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #63  
Online, my local Tractor Supply only lists Stens AW46 for $160 for 5 gal. Walmart will deliver Sinopec AW46 for $47.49 for 5 gal. I also buy from the local Chevron jobber.

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #64  
I'm on a budget here on the little ridgetop farm. Got 2 old Fords with big diesels that take lots of 15W40 motor oil, three old tractors (1948, '68, and '74), and a 1968 CASE 380 hoe/loader. I buy whatever's on sale at TSC or Rural King, cause I can't afford $95 for 5 gallon at the independent tractor/farm supply store. I stay away from the "yellow bucket," but other than that I use what I can afford. Now what you have there is a lot bigger and newer than anything I have. I'd listen to these guys on this forum and follow their advice. Checking and replacing defective hoses is a must. I do this on my old diesel backhoe loader. Might try listing what you need in your local traders guide or ad bulletin, in the farm equipment section, that you're looking for some hydraulic oil, barrels or buckets. Never know who has some stored away to sell on the cheap. Good luck. BTW. Tell the missus you can make your money back tenfold on your investment. Or name the machine after her. Paint her name on the side.

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #65  
Family Farm and Home just had it on sale $35 for 5 gallons

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #66  
It's been a minute or decade or two since I was a heavy equipment field mechanic. I worked for a fairly large grading contractor that used a wide range of track hoes, dozers, rock trucks, scrapers, tractors, pumps, graders and so on.
Cats, and (ahem...about to date myself) Terex mostly with some Hitachi, and various other brands. I even got to bring a RayGo back from the dead. I don't remember seeing any JCB.

As to the hydraulic oil sourcing, all I know is that we used a lubricant specialty jobber as others here have mentioned. We went through GOBS of oil and fuel with typically 3 or 4 major contracts going at any given time. We kept tanker trucks of diesel on the job sites and the class 8 lube trucks worked day and night to keep em serviced. I don't think I changed oil or greased a whole machine more than a handful of times during my 4 years with them. So I don't have much to offer about purchasing hydraulic or engine oil.

But one thing I do remember was the oil viscosity gauges. The master mechanic insisted that lube oil and hydraulic fluid viscosity be checked during any drain and before any refill and put in the machine's log.
That was to detect any contaminants or incorrect new oil and to identify dilution or contamination in the drain oil.
I still have my old "Saybolt seconds" gauge in my box.
The specification was to check the viscosity at 100°f. So, we would fill the gauge and then put it in our armpit for 45 seconds.
This probably doesn't help the OP but couldn't resist a stroll down viscosity rememberance lane.
I hope your new machine works out for you. Show the wife how to dig with it. She might like it! :)

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #67  
Or name the machine after her. Paint her name on the side.
I don't believe naming that type of machine after the wife would be a good idea. Paint her name on it for neighbors/visitor's to see would be an even worse idea.

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #68  
Can Traveller Premium Anti-Wear Hydraulic Oil ISO 46 be used in place of "Case TCH Fluid"?
I'm new - and purchases a Case 480E.
Manual says to fill the reservoir with Case TCH Fluid. It does not say much else.

• Good Post
Reactions: fc1
   / Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #69  
Can Traveller Premium Anti-Wear Hydraulic Oil ISO 46 be used in place of "Case TCH Fluid"?
I'm new - and purchases a Case 480E.
Manual says to fill the reservoir with Case TCH Fluid. It does not say much else.
NO, TCH is a spl. additive for certain parts in a trans and I don't know of anything cheep that replaces it. Last I checked into it, Hytran is the only replacement for it, but TCH fluid is best.

It doesn't matter that there's cheaper replacements for Hytran/CIH tractors, TCH is a spl. fluid for the industrial line like their dozers and TLB's.

SR

Last edited:
   / Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #70  
I never understood why people spend literally thousands of bucks on a unit and then want to buy the cheapest rot gut fluid they can and the cheapest filters they can find and then when the machine fails, they blame it on everything but themselves.

I never skimp on fluids or filters myself. Case specifies their fluids for a reason. Reason being, the engineers that designed the unit, know far better than the average user, what is required.