Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #1  

Bmantel

Tractor
Kubota BX24 / G2160 / JCB JS300LC-Stage 4
Happy New Year!

The wife wants to kill me as I made a 'small' purchase at the local auction house.... Just a little excavator. Nothing new to see here!

I tried to hide it, put it behind the garage and all such, but I got caught...
blake JS300LC4F.jpg

Now, unfortunately, it needs a hydraulic fluid change - like over 55 gallons worth.

Any recommendations on an inexpensive source of hydraulic fluid with some actual specific approvals?

The cheapest I found is Service Pro (see PDF) in 55gal Drums - about $550/ea. or so. Looking to replace JCB's AW46 oil.

Thanks everyone,
Blake
JCB AW46 Hyd oil.jpg

Attachments

• PDHYDROLICOILS.PDF
    116.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
   / Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #3  
Looks like a nice hoe. Wives always get worked up when we bring hoes home. Especially good looking ones like yours. Something about a hoe that sets them off. I saw a pallet of AW46 go off on a local farm auction a month or so ago. I came so close to buying it. I think the price was 10 bucks a bucket, maybe a bit less.

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #4  
Looks like a nice hoe. Wives always get worked up when we bring hoes home. Especially good looking ones like yours. Something about a hoe that sets them off. I saw a pallet of AW46 go off on a local farm auction a month or so ago. I came so close to buying it. I think the price was 10 bucks a bucket, maybe a bit less.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #6  
Now, unfortunately, it needs a hydraulic fluid change - like over 55 gallons worth.
Any recommendations on an inexpensive source of hydraulic fluid with some actual specific approvals?
The cheapest I found is Service Pro (see PDF) in 55gal Drums - about $550/ea. or so. Looking to replace JCB's AW46 oil.

That's a nice looking hoe. Congratulations.

Hydraulic Oil specs always confuse me. I'm not sure that it is even possible to find the specific approvals that you are looking for in a hydraulic oil. What does JCB use? Their saying "HP46" doesn't tell us much.
SAE and ASTM standards don't seem to cover hydraulic oils well, and AW46 is just another way of saying standard viscosity at 40 degrees is roughly the same as 20 wt engine oil. That is a viscosity standard sure enough, but not very complete. Nothing about what happens at different temperatures, additives, aging, or especially seal compatibility.

The Service Pro spec for their fluid just claims "highly refined base oils"... whatever that is. It might not even be a mineral oil; there are lots of other chemical oils. Glycols, esters, and glycerides are all oils that are used in hydraulic, too. About half that spec is abut viscosity...and sure enough, it is close to 20 weight by the way that engine oils are measured. Unfortunately nothing in there about seal compatibility, aging, or friction and wear standards. To be fair, that lack of reporting any testing or in-house standards seems to be par for the hydraulic oil industry. So it isn't a knock on Service Pro. The whole industry is secretive when it comes to their own hydraulic oils.

No reason not to ask around varioius JCB dealers to see what they run in them. When I asked, I was surprised to find that my Kubota dealer used New Holland multi-G for all his hydraulic work. It's an AMBRA product blended by Petronas. And the JD dealer doesn't use their own hydraulic oil exclusively either. Some of JD's commercial hoes run multiweight engine oil in the hydraulics.

If I couldn't get an answer from JCB, I'd probably lean toward a known brand like Mobil, Chevron, or Shell.
I might use a less well known brand as a flushing oil, but wouldn't leave it in there long term.
Keep us posted as you decide on an oil.

always curious about hydraulics,
rScotty

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #7  
Might want to replace any old hoses also, keep in mind when it leaks, you usually get to replace all that fluid again. And there’s probably only 96 different areas that can leak on that thing

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #8  

That's a nice looking hoe. Congratulations.

Hydraulic Oil specs always confuse me. I'm not sure that it is even possible to find the specific approvals that you are looking for in a hydraulic oil. What does JCB use? Their saying "HP46" doesn't tell us much.
SAE and ASTM standards don't seem to cover hydraulic oils well, and AW46 is just another way of saying standard viscosity at 40 degrees is roughly the same as 20 wt engine oil. That is a viscosity standard sure enough, but not very complete. Nothing about what happens at different temperatures, additives, aging, or especially seal compatibility.

The Service Pro spec for their fluid just claims "highly refined base oils"... whatever that is. It might not even be a mineral oil; there are lots of other chemical oils. Glycols, esters, and glycerides are all oils that are used in hydraulic, too. About half that spec is abut viscosity...and sure enough, it is close to 20 weight by the way that engine oils are measured. Unfortunately nothing in there about seal compatibility, aging, or friction and wear standards. To be fair, that lack of reporting any testing or in-house standards seems to be par for the hydraulic oil industry. So it isn't a knock on Service Pro. The whole industry is secretive when it comes to their own hydraulic oils.

No reason not to ask around varioius JCB dealers to see what they run in them. When I asked, I was surprised to find that my Kubota dealer used New Holland multi-G for all his hydraulic work. It's an AMBRA product blended by Petronas. And the JD dealer doesn't use their own hydraulic oil exclusively either. Some of JD's commercial hoes run multiweight engine oil in the hydraulics.

If I couldn't get an answer from JCB, I'd probably lean toward a known brand like Mobil, Chevron, or Shell.
I might use a less well known brand as a flushing oil, but wouldn't leave it in there long term.
Keep us posted as you decide on an oil.

always curious about hydraulics,
rScotty
Same here.... When considering hydraulic fluid change in my MF and after a front axle seal change was trying to get some idea what fluids were a acceptable fluid and purchase locally... Out of frustration and lack of good information I went with the manufacturer's suggested fluid that was a 10W30 and semi synthetic blend.. Ironically it was touted to it was also a replacement for many fluids that were listed as manufacturers replacement fluid for many big manufacturers of off road/agriculture/mining equipment.... Ironically the ISO (10-30-46-68-100 (or whatever the numbers)) designations for fluids has little information as to what was is a compatible fluid for any given machine....And ironically I was restoring a 30 year old log splitter that had some problems I found a manual saying it uses DEXRON II auto transmission fluid.... Guess what DEXRON II was not available to me locally so when with DEXRON III ( but label on jug stated it was replacement for DEXRON II) .... Go figure....

PERMATRANS.jpg

Last edited:
   / Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #9  
This is what "chatGPT" has to say...

"""
You
What is break down of AW 46 hydraulic oil

ChatGPT
AW 46 hydraulic oil is a type of hydraulic fluid that falls under the ISO viscosity grade 46 classification. The "AW" in AW 46 stands for "anti-wear," indicating that this hydraulic oil is formulated to reduce wear on hydraulic components, such as pumps, motors, and valves. The ISO viscosity grade 46 means that the oil has a kinematic viscosity of approximately 46 centistokes at 40 degrees Celsius.
Hydraulic oils like AW 46 are used in hydraulic systems to transmit power, lubricate components, and provide heat dissipation. The anti-wear properties are crucial for protecting components in high-pressure systems where metal-to-metal contact is common.
It's important to note that the specific formulation of hydraulic oils can vary between manufacturers, and AW 46 is just one example of hydraulic oil with anti-wear properties and a viscosity grade of 46. Users should always refer to the manufacturer's recommendations and specifications to ensure compatibility and performance in their specific hydraulic systems.

"""

You
help me with understanding SAE Viscosity Grade

ChatGPT
Certainly! The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) viscosity grade is a measure used to classify motor oils based on their viscosity, which is a fluid's resistance to flow. The SAE viscosity grade is a standardized system that helps consumers and manufacturers understand how an oil will perform under different temperature conditions.
Here are some key points to understand about SAE viscosity grades:
  1. Viscosity Definition: Viscosity refers to a fluid's thickness or resistance to flow. A high-viscosity fluid is thicker and flows more slowly, while a low-viscosity fluid is thinner and flows more easily.
  2. Temperature Sensitivity:The SAE viscosity grade provides information about how the oil's viscosity changes with temperature. It is a two-number system, such as 10W-30 or 5W-20, where the "W" stands for winter.
    • The first number (before the "W") indicates the oil's viscosity in cold temperatures (e.g., during winter). The lower the number, the thinner the oil, making it easier to flow in cold conditions.
    • The second number (after the "W") represents the oil's viscosity at operating temperatures, which are typically higher. Higher numbers indicate thicker oils that provide better lubrication at high temperatures.
  3. Single-Grade vs. Multi-Grade Oils:
    • Single-Grade Oils: These oils have a single viscosity rating and are designed for specific temperature ranges. For example, SAE 30 is a single-grade oil suitable for warmer temperatures.
    • Multi-Grade Oils: These oils have two viscosity grades separated by a "W" (e.g., 10W-40). They offer a balance, providing good flow characteristics in both cold and hot temperatures. Multi-grade oils are more versatile and commonly used in modern engines.
  4. Choosing the Right Viscosity Grade:
    • The manufacturer of your vehicle will typically recommend a specific viscosity grade in the owner's manual. It's crucial to follow these recommendations for optimal engine performance and protection.
    • Factors such as climate, driving conditions, and the engine's design may influence the choice of viscosity grade.
In summary, the SAE viscosity grade helps consumers choose the right motor oil for their vehicles based on the expected temperature conditions. It provides information about the oil's ability to flow at different temperatures, ensuring proper lubrication and protection for the engine.

"""

You
help me to understand what ISO grades are for hydraulic fluids

ChatGPT
ISO grades for hydraulic fluids are a standardized system developed by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) to categorize and classify hydraulic oils based on their viscosity. These ISO viscosity grades help ensure compatibility and performance consistency across different hydraulic systems. Understanding ISO grades is essential for selecting the right hydraulic fluid for specific applications. Here are key points to help you understand ISO grades for hydraulic fluids:
  1. Viscosity Classification:
    • ISO viscosity grades are represented by a number, such as ISO 32, ISO 46, ISO 68, etc.
    • The number corresponds to the fluid's kinematic viscosity in centistokes (cSt) at 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit). For example, ISO 32 indicates a hydraulic fluid with a viscosity of approximately 32 cSt at 40°C.
  2. Temperature Sensitivity:
    • ISO viscosity grades consider the fluid's performance at different temperatures. While the ISO viscosity number provides information about the fluid's viscosity at 40°C, additional information may be needed for high-temperature performance.
    • Some hydraulic fluids may have additional labeling, such as "HV" for high viscosity, to indicate enhanced high-temperature stability.
  3. Application Considerations:
    • ISO viscosity grades help users select hydraulic fluids based on the operating conditions of their equipment.
    • Lower viscosity grades (e.g., ISO 22, ISO 32) are suitable for applications where low-temperature start-up and fluid flow are crucial, such as in cold climates.
    • Higher viscosity grades (e.g., ISO 46, ISO 68) are used in applications with higher operating temperatures and heavier loads.
  4. Equipment Compatibility:
    • Manufacturers of hydraulic equipment often specify the recommended ISO viscosity grade for optimal performance and longevity.
    • Using the correct ISO grade is important to ensure proper lubrication, reduce wear and tear, and maintain the efficiency of hydraulic systems.
  5. Multi-Viscosity Hydraulic Fluids:
    • Similar to motor oils, some hydraulic fluids are multi-viscosity, meaning they cover a range of ISO grades. For example, an ISO 46/68 hydraulic fluid can provide both low-temperature flow characteristics and high-temperature stability.
  6. ISO Cleanliness Code:
    • In addition to viscosity grades, hydraulic fluids may have an ISO cleanliness code that indicates the fluid's cleanliness level. Clean hydraulic fluids are essential to prevent contamination and maintain the efficiency of hydraulic systems.
In summary, ISO viscosity grades for hydraulic fluids provide a standardized way to classify these fluids based on their viscosity at 40°C. Choosing the right ISO grade is crucial for proper lubrication and performance of hydraulic systems, and it often involves considering factors such as temperature conditions, equipment specifications, and cleanliness requirements.

"""

You
What is the breakdown of the different ISO designations of hydraulic fluids

ChatGPT
ISO viscosity grades for hydraulic fluids are classified based on their kinematic viscosity at 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit). The ISO viscosity grade system ranges from ISO 10 to ISO 1000, and each grade corresponds to a specific viscosity range. Below is a breakdown of the different ISO viscosity grades commonly used for hydraulic fluids:
  1. ISO 10 to ISO 46:
    • ISO 10
    • ISO 15
    • ISO 22
    • ISO 32
    • ISO 46
    • These lower viscosity grades are suitable for applications where low-temperature fluid flow is essential. They are commonly used in hydraulic systems operating in colder climates.
  2. ISO 68 to ISO 150:
    • ISO 68
    • ISO 100
    • ISO 150
    • These mid-range viscosity grades are suitable for a broad range of hydraulic applications and are often used in systems operating at moderate temperatures and loads.
  3. ISO 220 to ISO 680:
    • ISO 220
    • ISO 320
    • ISO 460
    • ISO 680
    • These higher viscosity grades are used in hydraulic systems that operate under higher temperatures and heavier loads. They provide better lubrication for components subjected to increased stress.
  4. ISO 1000:
    • ISO 1000
    • ISO 1000 is a high viscosity grade suitable for extremely demanding hydraulic systems operating under severe conditions, such as high temperatures and heavy loads.
It's important to note that the ISO viscosity grade alone does not provide a complete picture of a hydraulic fluid's performance. Additional specifications, such as anti-wear properties, oxidation resistance, and compatibility with specific hydraulic system components, should also be considered when selecting a hydraulic fluid for a particular application.
Additionally, some hydraulic fluids may be labeled with a multi-viscosity grade, indicating that they cover a range of ISO grades. For example, a hydraulic fluid labeled ISO 32/46 may provide performance characteristics of both ISO 32 and ISO 46 fluids, making it suitable for a wider range of operating conditions. Always refer to the manufacturer's recommendations and specifications for the specific hydraulic equipment being used.

""""

Don't expect a lot of information/help here, this is all AI generated...

Last edited:
   / Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #10