Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #11  
I have recently had reason to start some research on getting some security cameras installed on my place. 40 acres mostly woods, house in center of property.
I have extensive experience in this area.

First, if you have no experience with surveillance cameras, prepare to be very disappointed. I'm not saying they are not worthwhile-- I have many of them deployed. But they are not anywhere close to the capacity of the human eye.

My opinion is that Reolink cameras are terrible-- with the exception of the new Reolink video doorbell. Their low light capability (after dark) is far below industry average. Many people start with them because they are cheap, but then abandon them later.

Doing cameras over a wifi signal is considered to be a poor approach. Many, including me, won't do it. I do have a wireless bridge to connect my residence and barn together, but that is a more robust method compared to a camera with a wifi signal.

I would suggest a few things. First, get some initial experience with deploying wired cameras around your residence where the internet connection is. Most people use a POE connection since the video signal and power both go through the same Cat5/Cat6 cable. That in itself has many challenges but will let you get some practical experience.

Next, depending on your terrain, consider using "trail cameras" to keep an eye on remote areas. If you need more immediate access to images, you can pay the extra $$ to have a cell-equipped trail camera.

For consumer grade cameras, I have heard the Arlo system is pretty simple and works reasonably well. But it also includes an on-going subscription cost.

You also might consider getting some quotes from local security companies. The biggest factor, in my opinion, is your lack of experience. Overcoming that would be very good. This is a venture where it is very easy to get started and start buying equipment, but also very easy for that equipment you bought to not perform well.

Finally, beware of chasing "megapixel" (MP) size with your cameras. The common models now are 8MP / 4K cameras, but the cheap consumer grade models come with a 1 / 2.8 sensor which is a mismatch. A much better performing camera would be a 4MP with 1 / 1.8 sensor. There are a lot of technical reasons for this which I would not delve into here. But fyi I recently changed one of my cameras from the 8MP model to the 4MP model for much improved night performance and less blur with motion. Even though it has "fewer pixels."

Also, if there is much distance involved, you are much better off with fewer megapixels with an optical zoom, compared to more megapixels with no zoom. Cameras with optical zoom from 2.8 to 12mm are very common. And I'd suggest you pretty much forget digital zoom-- it sounds tremendous but in reality doesn't work very well and not nearly as well as having optical zoom.

Good luck-- this can be a very fun project to pursue, but beware of the many banana peels to possibly slip on! 😃

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #12  
Following since I'm interested in what everyone has to say.
Following also. I’ve looked at or tried app based cameras but was not pleased. I‘d like a dedicated monitor or cheap TV with multiple camera views running 24/7. I have a buried Dakota driveway alarm that works very well but I‘d like ‘see’ who the visitor is without peering out windows.

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #13  
I have no desire for security camera's on our farm. All we need is our Aussie to tell us when someone is around. People are getting way to **** today and for me, the best alternative besides the Aussie is my always loaded firearms and a nice no trespassing sign by the main drive. People around here know I'm a firearm nut with a short fuse.

I do use wireless game cams on our hunting property that I can access on my cell phone but that is it.

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #14  
I set up Reolink POE cameras with wireless bridges all off Amazon for my property/shop. I had zero prior experience.

As mentioned security cameras aren't as good as the human eye. That being said I am more that satisfied with the results for the money invested. No subscriptions/monthly fees or cloud based stuff.

For my set up the wireless bridges were the key component.

System has been up about 3 years with no issues.

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #15  
I do have one Reolink POE camera on my porch, and it does well, even at night. The Reolink I sent back was their cellular one. In addition to the Spypoint cell camera i previously mentioned, I have a Reconyx cell camera. It's very pricy, but takes good daytime pictures, but I'm not as impressed with it's night view as I am the Spypoint which is 1/6th the cost. However, I have the Reconyx camera that will read a license plate at night, and it does it pretty good. It's on the driveway and gets every vehicle coming and going.

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #16  
If the barn has power to it, you can send an internet signal over the electrical line and then have WiFi at the barn for the cameras. My buddy has done this to have access to the Internet when working on something. It also works for his POE cameras.

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #17  
Hey guys-

I have recently had reason to start some research on getting some security cameras installed on my place. 40 acres mostly woods, house in center of property. I am looking for anyone's experiences with setting up multiple security cameras on their property. Specific obstacles we have to accomplishing this is the distance from my house to our gate at the road, which is around 600ft and our barn which is around 500ft the other direction. Seems like WIFI would not work due to distances and at this point I feel like I might be limited to LTE sim card cameras. I have been looking at Reolink cameras but there are so many to pick from- I figured there may be others on here that have tackled this problem and may have some suggestions. Ideally I would like to set up 4-8 cameras around the place but I am not sure what data plans of that many cameras would cost and if that is even the best option.

Thanks in advance.
Sorry that the need has arisen.

Are you trying for cameras around the house and barn 360, or are there specific places that you want to watch. If you have power at both the gate and the barn, I would suggest a high power wireless bridge to get your computer network to wired cameras in both locations, but get ones that are highly directional to compensate for your trees, and take the time to orient them and tune the signal. Through trees, nothing is going to be perfect until you put in fiber. Your distances are too far for any wired Ethernet, especially at the data rates that you want.

I tend to think of cameras both in terms of overlapping horizontal zones, but also various vertical viewpoints. For many applications, getting a face level high resolution image is important. I'm also a fan of having cameras watching cameras in case someone tries to get smart about avoiding or disabling an "obvious" camera.

Good luck!

Peter

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm
I have no desire for security camera's on our farm. All we need is our Aussie to tell us when someone is around. People are getting way to **** today and for me, the best alternative besides the Aussie is my always loaded firearms and a nice no trespassing sign by the main drive. People around here know I'm a firearm nut with a short fuse.

I do use wireless game cams on our hunting property that I can access on my cell phone but that is it.
Understood. We have a large Kangol and Pit, locked gate, posted and are armed as well. However I would like cameras for evidence as those don't lie and when you need a witness, video is better than words.

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm
Sorry that the need has arisen.

Are you trying for cameras around the house and barn 360, or are there specific places that you want to watch. If you have power at both the gate and the barn, I would suggest a high power wireless bridge to get your computer network to wired cameras in both locations, but get ones that are highly directional to compensate for your trees, and take the time to orient them and tune the signal. Through trees, nothing is going to be perfect until you put in fiber. Your distances are too far for any wired Ethernet, especially at the data rates that you want.

I tend to think of cameras both in terms of overlapping horizontal zones, but also various vertical viewpoints. For many applications, getting a face level high resolution image is important. I'm also a fan of having cameras watching cameras in case someone tries to get smart about avoiding or disabling an "obvious" camera.

Good luck!

Peter

There are specific places we would like to watch around the property. Obvious front gate but also other locations on the property and we also have a second gate I want monitored as well. None of these locations have power currently. That is something I plan to address for the Barn at least in the future but now it would have to be wired power run by me and that cost considered or battery/solar.

Thank for the replies so far from everyone. Lot of great information and links. Its obvious to me that I am going to have to really spend some time understanding the technology out there and its limitations that might be a problem for my specific property.

Last edited:
   / Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #20  
I’m no expert but my son works for the local phone company and they install them. He put one in our house that looks out the front. It has an infra red light and work decent in low light and night. It records and stores several weeks of data before it overwrites. It’s hard wired in with Ethernet or Cat 5, I’m not sure which.

It’s made by Alibi and cost roughly $400. It also has an app you put on your phone and you can view real time or playback from anywhere. The truth is you need more than one to cover a property but that can add up in a hurry.

My son says the camera is hard wired up with Ethernet cable if that makes any difference.

Last edited: