Looking for general info on Bendix, starter, switch, solenoid.

/ Looking for general info on Bendix, starter, switch, solenoid.
Installed new solenoid and still nothing. DIL appeared with her tool kit, butter knife and baby vice grips. Convinced us to wiggle all the wires and the damn thing starts! Put everything back together and the damn thing won't start. Wiggled all the wires and the damn thing starts! So, we have a broken wire or a poor connection. Going to start by checking all the spade connections and then the wiring for continuity. There are only about 30 of them in a place you can't get to! Damn thing!

Thanks for the help, as usual we over thought everything.

/ Looking for general info on Bendix, starter, switch, solenoid. #12  
Installed new solenoid and still nothing. DIL appeared with her tool kit, butter knife and baby vice grips. Convinced us to wiggle all the wires and the damn thing starts! Put everything back together and the damn thing won't start. Wiggled all the wires and the damn thing starts! So, we have a broken wire or a poor connection. Going to start by checking all the spade connections and then the wiring for continuity. There are only about 30 of them in a place you can't get to! Damn thing!

Thanks for the help, as usual we over thought everything.
A love/hate problem. You love the problem might be solved but hate having to find the problem wire.
I would start (LOL) at the solenoid battery positive wire. Since you said you could "jump" the solenoid, and it spun, but did not engage, I am GUESSING low voltage in the battery cable to the starter. Check cable/connections both ends.
Next, I would check the battery negative cable/connections both ends.
Sometimes there will be corrosion under the insulation, near the terminal. Usually the positive, battery end. So, if I were to just replace a cable it would be the battery positive.
Good Luck