Looking at YT359C

/ Looking at YT359C #1  

Pearlsnaps

Tractor
YM2500 now YT 359c
Howdy y'all. Pretty new to the forum. Looking pretty seriously at the YT359C. I have a small farm in north Texas under 20 acres. I'm currently paying somebody to bale 8 acres two or three times a year worth about 60 to 75 round bales each year. Everything is mostly for the cows to eat. Just regular grass trying to slowly improve it from where the previous owner just let it go. It is hilly terrain as in no real level spot except for right around the house and shop. When my wife and family first bought the farm about 5 years ago, it came with a ym 2500. And after quite a bit of work, I got it working enough to be somewhat useful on the farm. The previous owner passed away and his widow did not care for farm work.

I grew up helping my grandpa on his farm, but he mainly did loader work with his dump truck and we used an old Massey Ferguson to just mow his 55 acres. I know it was used for hay at one time, that was long before I was born.
Experience I have for tractors comes from that growing up and a very unfortunate 3 month stint on a Kioti 7320. That's a story for another forum, but needless to say I'm now looking at the Yanmar 359c.
I've done lots of reading, and this is probably an oversized tractor for what I need, but I would like to be able to purchase my own hay equipment if my part-time hay man decides to get out of the hay business. And yes I've read all of those stories about getting into doing your own hay. This will only be for my own usage for my cows and retired rodeo horse.
I've been speaking to a dealer out of Kerens, TX. Watched a couple of their videos and they also sell Massey equipment.
Anything in particular besides normal tractor questions I should be asking?

Sorry for the long post, but after my most recent negative tractor buying experience, I'm trying to get all of the information possible.

Last edited:
   / Looking at YT359C #2  
Howdy y'all. Pretty new to the forum. Looking pretty seriously at the YT359C. I have a small farm in north Texas under 20 acres. I'm currently paying somebody to bail 8 acres two or three times a year worth about 60 to 75 round bales each year. Everything else is for the cows to eat. Just regular grass trying to slowly improve it from where the previous owner just let it go. It is hilly terrain as in no real level spot except for right around the house and shop. When my wife and family first bought the farm about 5 years ago, it came with a ym 2500. And after quite a bit of work, I got it working enough to be somewhat useful on the farm. The previous owner passed away and his widow did not care for farm work.

I grew up helping my grandpa on his farm, but he mainly did loader work with his dump truck and used an old Massey Ferguson to just mow his 55 acres. I know it hey at one time, that was long before I was born.
Experience I have for tractors comes from that growing up and a very unfortunate 3 month stint on a Kioti 7320. That's a story for another forum, but needless to say I'm now looking at them Yanmar 359c.
I've done lots of reading, and this is probably an oversized tractor for what I need, but I would like to be able to purchase my own hay equipment if my part-time hay man decides to get out of the hay business. And yes I've read all of those stories about getting into doing your own pay. This will only be for my own systems for my cows and retired rodeo horse.
I've been speaking to a dealer out of Kerens, TX. Watched a couple of their videos and they also sell Massey equipment.
Anything in particular besides normal tractor questions I should be asking?

Sorry for the long post, but after my most recent negative tractor buying experience, I'm trying to get all of the information possible.
I bought a used 2017 YT359C for my 53 acre TN property (moved from TX about a year ago). Like you describe, our property is hilly, with about the only level ground being the shop and house garage! My 359 came with R1 tires, I really did not like the feel on our terrain, felt very tippy...so I put on some BORA 2.5 spacers and filled the back tires. That made a big difference, but still felt tippy on some areas....so I switched the 2.5 inch spacers for some 5 inch ones...and WOW, feels like a different machine, the added 5 inches (going from the 2.5 to the 5) seems like the sweet spot, I don't feel tippy at all anymore. Works great for my purposes now. Can't speak on how the R4 tires feel, but for hills, I think the R1s provide better traction anyway......

Even without the spacers, the tractor goes up and down hills with no problem, no traction issues and the gears hold it up or down. Going across was causing the butt factor....

I don't have much experience with other tractors as this is my first, probably more tractor than I need, but it has been very useful. It is mechanically solid, and have had no problems with it.

I don't hay, I let someone else do that on the hay field on our property. I did buy an Alamo SHD88 flail mower so I can cut it if ever needed (not for hay)...it handles that with no problem.

I also bought a grapple from Everything Attachments after making the mistake of buying a heavy one first....if you do get a grapple, spend the extra money on a high quality one in the 400 pound range. I bought a beast of a grapple at first that was over 800 pounds and that seemed like too much on the loader....the EA one is perfect.

Very much recommend the Yanmar....I have since added a Brahma (UTV) (new) and Vio17 Excavator (very used) to the stable...Yanmar's are solid machines. I work all of them on a regular basis. Also have a diesel Kubota zero turn, even with 72 inches of cut, still takes almost 4 hours to cut the lawn...only thing I don't like at the moment is the price of diesel!

Best of luck!

/ Looking at YT359C #3  
I think the YT Yanmar’s are the cats meow in terms of performance, technology, reliability, and price point. The iHMT is the most versatile and efficient transmission on the compact tractor market. I’d get a third function on the loader, third rear remote, and top n tilt. Your options would then be limitless as to what you could do on your property. Good choice and good luck!

Last edited:
   / Looking at YT359C
Thank you both for your recommendations. I've looked at grapples, but I don't think I'll ever really need one. There's very few rocks (much less boulders) of any size and my wife and I planted 9 of the 10 trees on the entire property!!
Tractorable, the top tilt is #1 on my list of things needed! I never knew they existed until I started reading these forums.

/ Looking at YT359C #5  
Have the hydro top link, got it here:
Works great!

Here is the hose kit you will need:

Need to add the "tilt" part......let me know what you find that fits.

Last edited:
   / Looking at YT359C #6  
   / Looking at YT359C #7  
The YT359C is an incredible tractor. PR Equipment is a fantastic dealer as well. As mentioned above, the I-HMT transmission is a difference maker. When cutting and bailing hay, the A/B mode will come in handy. The Yanmar Academy YouTube page has a good tutorial for the A/B mode.

/ Looking at YT359C
I didn't even know about that page. Thank you freightboy!!

/ Looking at YT359C
I did go and test drive the tractor this Saturday. Had some family in town visiting and they went with me to give it the once over and donate their $0.02 worth. :)
Didn't have a lot of time to play with the ab mode, but pretty much everything else worked great. I did learn that the front loader is a "live" hydraulic valve. I just always called it a double-acting valve where you can curl the bucket and raise or lower at the same time.
Overall, the fit and finish is way better than the Kioti 7320 I was looking at previously.

/ Looking at YT359C #10  
Get it, you won't regret it!