Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts?

/ Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #141  
The problem with ANY warranty repair is the company (not the dealer) sets the time and billed cost of the repair.

If I was a dealer, I would also be hesitant to repair a non purchased unit under warranty because it's usually a screw job for the dealer.

Interestingly, I don't have that issue with my dealer, he maintains all my tractors whether I purchased them from him or not but I'm also a good (and paying) customer who prefers to buy from him anyway. the one used unit I bought, he didn't have and I was looking for a specific model in a specific tear of manufacture.

Neither of mine are under warranty anyway so I pay the shop rate plus parts. Only ever had one warranty claim and he provided the parts and I installed them myself and that was years ago.

Have one going in shortly for a tune up and spray test on the injectors. They do top tier work and I'm never in a hurry anyway as I own and use multiple tractors. Just bought a new 45 grand round bailer from him.

/ Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #142  
Always keep in mind that with ANY and ALL warranty work, the dealer is compensated by the manufacturer on what is called the 'Flat Rate Manual' so if it takes an additional 2 hours over that paid rate, the dealer eats it. Not every technician is a whizz bang and can keep to the maunfacturers published time and rate paid.

How it works and far as I'm concerned, the dealer on here is well within the scope of business to act like he does.

/ Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #143  
^ Yeah I've hear that sentiment a lot, that OEMs pay too low for warranty work to be worth doing, so you only do it if you have to (IE to support your purchasing customers). Seems to apply in the auto industry also.

In my case, my local dealer was not slammed. He surely pays his mechanics to be on site and working full time anyway, so my warranty job is a chance for additional revenue if you can fit the job in, not less. Right?

/ Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #144  
Manufacturers generally require dealers to perform warranty repairs regardless of the point of purchase, I don't expect Kioti is any different. Dealers can and do prioritize repairs at their discretion and that can make a difference. When I worked for a Kioti dealer we did repairs on many tractors sold by the former Kioti dealer in our trade area, both warranty and non-warranty.
But what customer in their right mind would press the issue with a dealer that refused to take on a warranty job and risk a sub par repair or unnecessary down time?

/ Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #145  
Always keep in mind that with ANY and ALL warranty work, the dealer is compensated by the manufacturer on what is called the 'Flat Rate Manual' so if it takes an additional 2 hours over that paid rate, the dealer eats it. Not every technician is a whizz bang and can keep to the maunfacturers published time and rate paid.

How it works and far as I'm concerned, the dealer on here is well within the scope of business to act like he does.
I wonder if there is ever a case where the "Flat Rate Manual" gives a 2 hour rate and the job actually only takes a few minutes?
:unsure:
Nah... probably not...

/ Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #146  

Actually he is very likely in violation of his dealer contract if he in fact is refusing to perform warranty repairs.

/ Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #147  
Correct, but don't ever expect a dealer to move you to the top of the repair list for a warranty repair. Not gonna happen unless the dealer is especially slow.

Like my used unit that needed extensive repairs. it sat in the corner of the shop all winter and my tech used it for 'make work' when he was slow. I expect that and had no issue with it. I only have one tech that works on my units there anyway and we happen yo be friends outside of work.

it wasn't a wreck but it needed some involved repairs and I didn't have the specialized tools to effectuate it. Some items require specialized tools and my comment to them was, 'fix everything that needed attention and make it 100%, which they did and that included some sheet metal restoration as well. After 3 months what I got back was a beautifully fully restored and 100% mechanically correct unit and a bill for over 5 grand which I also fully expected. To me, it's the price of doing business and being a bona fide ag operation, I wrote it off as a business expense anyway.

You tell me... I'm 100% happy with the results... Sure as heck don't look like or run like a unit with over 6000 meter hours on it that was used in a dairy operation to move cow manure around.

Needs new shoes this year (5 grand) but that is it.

Just as nice under the hood and under the sheet metal as what you can see.

No, it's not for sale and neither is the other identical one that I bought new from this dealer in 2004. Other one has a cab however. This one is a 2002.

Attachments

• 100_0013 (1).JPG
    100_0013 (1).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 71
   / Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #149  
I wonder if there is ever a case where the "Flat Rate Manual" gives a 2 hour rate and the job actually only takes a few minutes?
:unsure:
Nah... probably not...
Maybe but most likely not. manufacturers base their flat rate on their own employees repairing different issues. None of it is pie in the sky rates. All of them are carefully rated.

I retired from Freightliner dealership working on Class 8 trucks and I never saw any warranted repair take a lot less time than not. In fact, most times, the allowed rate was not enough to cover the repair labor.

They ate it anyway. Has to do with 'goodwill' and repeat purchases. With class 8 diesels, you cannot go to the local auto parts emporium and purchase a part and install it in your driveway. Don't work that way, never has. Sure you can change the oil and filters (provided you have a large enough drain pan) as most Class 8 diesels hold around 40 quarts of oil and the oil filter(s) are large as well and cumbersome to remove and install as well. 10 gallons of dirty oil is also a PITA to dispose of and that don't include the gearbox or the differentials either.

Try taking a pair of 5 gallon pails yo your local discount auto parts store for recycling. They will most likely tell you to get lost.

/ Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #150  
Maybe but most likely not. manufacturers base their flat rate on their own employees repairing different issues. None of it is pie in the sky rates. All of them are carefully rated.
I get that, my point was that there may be cases where warranty repairs are approved and once the tech gets into it may find that it was something much simpler. I imagine some dealers will notify corp that it was a simple repair, I imagine some will not. Especially if they recently ate a 4 hour repair that was only approved for 2 hours. Things usually have a way of working out. ;)