Looking at a '97 5300

/ Looking at a '97 5300 #1  

SgtSluggo

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4105, Ford 1700
We are looking to upgrade our tractor soon and have been looking at a 1997 JD 5300 for around 25k.

It is 4wd, about 2000 hrs with a loader.

It's been on the lot at our local equipment dealer for a while and I was wondering why.
Does this seem like the right price? Are there things I should look for on this tractor? Any other thoughts?

Thanks for your help

/ Looking at a '97 5300 #2  
Two suggestions.... three actually.

Post some pictures and maybe a video so that on TBN we know some more. It's close enough to the right ballpark in hours, model, and price to consider.

Then you need another set of eyes. I would have an independent local mechanic go over it too. Let him decide where to go from there. I'm experienced at mechanical things, but I still do that on big purchases.

Finally, did you local dealer know the owner and do the work? Are there records or referrals?
rScotty

/ Looking at a '97 5300 #4  
Looks well taken care of. I’m going to say it has done a fair amount of 3pt work. If you are using hydraulics and plan on keeping loader on you are going to need a splitter. I don’t track those Tractors or prices. I will say those had their shortcomings. For a weekender or light duty and the ability to fix yourself shouldn’t be a bad purchase

/ Looking at a '97 5300 #5  
I have a friend with a 5310, I’m not sure what them difference is with what your looking at but very similar. His is about the same age. His has been a solid tractor and he has done nothing but minor repairs and maintenance.