long time Kubota dealer

/ long time Kubota dealer #1  

kenmac

Tractor
McCormick CX105 Kubota MX 5100 HST, Kubota ZD1021, Kawsaki Mule 4010 trans 4x4
Local Kubota dealer had been the family business for 70 years sold out recently.
It will remain a Kubota dealership just different owner.

I knew the original owner. It was passed down to his son. Then to the grandson

Grandson isn't that old.. I guess he just got tired of the tractor business, or couldn't keep it going due to covid.

I was sure surprised when I went by yesterday and saw the ''Under New Ownership'' sign.

Any other tractor dealers in your area sold out to someone else recently ?

/ long time Kubota dealer #2  
Not that I am aware of, but with the lack of inventory I am surprised there are not. I talked with my Kubota dealer last month and asked how they were making money. He said he was getting some stock of new tractors (had 8 on the lot), but most of the money was coming from parts and service. I hope dealers can stay open.

/ long time Kubota dealer #3  
I was surprised to see that a new dealership has opened up in the nearest big town. Now I only have to drive 55 miles if I need anything.

/ long time Kubota dealer #4  
My dealer was started by the dad and the son took over and the son is now 62 and not slowing down at all. They started as a Case IH dealer and picked up Kubota when Kubota first came here. They have such a reputation and do such a service business, I don't believe lack of inventory impacts them all that much. Mostly into the big stuff but sell little stuff too. Hope they outlast me because they treat my wife and I like family. The owner has offered me a job there. I keep putting him off, don't really want to go back to work anyway. Hell, I'm retired and prefer to stay that way. I do a bit of custom machine work for them. I'm good with that. Only dealership I know of that when I need something, they deliver it to the house.

Know what he wants me to do, he wants me to drive his rollback and deliver units. Only he (owner) has a CDL and he knows I have one as well.

His lead mechanic (technician) and I shoot at the same sportsmens club and have been good friends for years. No one works on my tractors but him. I'm all good with that.

When I bought the open station M9 2 years ago up north, I had it delivered to them and told him to do whatever it needed to make it 100%. Stayed there most of the winter in the corner of the shop, inside and got used as make work when they were slow. Looks like a new unit now and runs like a top too. Hard to believe it's a 2002 with over 6300 hours on the engine meter. Getting new shoes this year.

Attachments

• 100_0013 (1).JPG
    100_0013 (1).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 214
   / long time Kubota dealer #5  
I'm fortunate to live just 5 miles from a Kubota "mega" dealer that's been in business for 50+ years. It was handed down from father to son about 8 years ago. They're still going strong but, like many other dealers, there isn't much stock on the lot right now.

A Kioti dealer opened 10 years ago in a nearby town. It was sold 3 years ago and the new owner switched to Mahindra. Unfortunately, it went out of business last year, likely due to Covid. Local Kioti and Mahindra owners now have to travel almost 50 miles to the closest dealer.

/ long time Kubota dealer #6  
The demise (or sale) of family businesses is fairly rapid after the founder sells (or dies). Only 5% of family businesses are operated by the 3rd generation.
To continue, in a depressed economy (i.e. COVID), businesses need to limit their fixed expenses. Rent is the primary burden. If a business owns it's building, it's easy to continue under adverse conditions. Utility costs can be reduced, labor can be reduced. Interest expenses can be renegotiated (though it would have been better to be operating without debt).
I own outright the facility in which I wanted to open a tractor dealership. Contacted the 2 "also ran's" in which I had interest. One called the next day to explain my area had been 'spoken for' by an existing dealer. The other manufacturer, even after 2 contacts on my part, never called me.
On TBN, i do see a correlation between happy customers and the manufacturer that called me the next day.
And additional correlation between frustrated owners and the manufacturer that never called me.
Why so many tractor brands for sale ? I've been looking on Alibaba Chinese tractors are so-o-o cheap in comparison to American prices. High profit industries attract competition. I'm thinking of bringing in a container. assembling, and selling

/ long time Kubota dealer #7  
Local Kubota dealer was here forever. They used to sell a variety of brands, but then got rid of everything and just focused on Kubota. I never bought anything from them, but I tried several times. I just couldn't justify paying what they wanted and shopped around until I found something that I thought was a better value. Tractor, UTV, and Zero Turn. When they started selling Landpride, I tried to buy from them, but nothing was in stock and I could get it faster and cheaper online through Messicks.

Two years ago, before Covid, the Kubota Dealer 20 minutes South of this one bought them out. One of the first things they did was add excavators and skid steers to their inventory. The previous owners refused to offer them.

I stopped by there a couple months ago to see about buying a new 7060, but didn't feel very welcome. I had to hunt down somebody to talk to, and it was a struggle to get him to give me a price. I liked the tractor, but not the price. So now I've been there twice in 15 years to buy a brand new tractor, with two different owners, and still haven't bought a Kubota.

I'm semi looking for a Landpride 3712 batwing mower, and I saw that they had a few in stock, but I'm not sure of what model they are. I might take a look next week, but I'm not in any rush.

/ long time Kubota dealer #8  
far as Kubota dealers go, I don't believe they have a choice as to what products to offer besides tractors, I believe it's a corporate decision. My dealer sell full line, tractors, mini ex's, skid steers and Land Pride (which is Kubota owned) implements plus the full line of hay tools too. He sells Cub Cadet mowers, snow blowers and tillers too and still services Case IH and CNH equipment. Shop is always full of repairs. They go there far and wide, he has a helluva reputation that comes with being in business for decades I guess. Never heard anyone say anything bad about them, ever.

/ long time Kubota dealer #9  
I'm fortunate to live just 5 miles from a Kubota "mega" dealer that's been in business for 50+ years. It was handed down from father to son about 8 years ago. They're still going strong but, like many other dealers, there isn't much stock on the lot right now.

A Kioti dealer opened 10 years ago in a nearby town. It was sold 3 years ago and the new owner switched to Mahindra. Unfortunately, it went out of business last year, likely due to Covid. Local Kioti and Mahindra owners now have to travel almost 50 miles to the closest dealer.
Has to be Messicks. I've dealt with them in the past but I find Coleman's in Kansas City to be substantially less on shipping on the rare instance I need something my dealer don't have on hand and I cannot wait a week for.

If I can wait, I get it from my local dealer.

/ long time Kubota dealer #10  
I have owned several Kubota tractors and products over many years but very disappointed with Kubota and Messick service department as of late. I have a front mounted snow blower which is only 6 years old and they don't even list it for parts anymore. I tried to get help from a Messicks part person for a hyd. hose and he said you will just have to get it replaced somewhere else as I can't help you as I don't list your blower anymore.I tried to give him the dimensions etc. but he would have no part of it. You will have to bring in the hose to have it replaced. I guess this why people like John Deere you can at least get parts.