Long Shot - looking for color of running light wire L3800

/ Long Shot - looking for color of running light wire L3800 #1  

ctgoldwing

Platinum Member
Tractor
L3800HST
I am planning to use the left rear running light hot lead at the light to power a relay coil. The relay contacts will then switch on my new LED rear work lights. My wiring diagram for the tractor does not call out the colors of the wires :(
Because there is little slack in the wires there it is going to be a minor pia to cut & splice in the new lead. I'll probably end up having to splice in a small extender piece to make this work. I'd rather to this only once. If I'm not sure which wire is which I'll just guess & hope :)
Anyone know?

/ Long Shot - looking for color of running light wire L3800 #2  
I'd tap into the aux plug taped under the left fender. You'd need a switch on the ROPS or something. Which wouldn't be as fancy as putting it off a relay for the dash lights. But I've found enough value on the separate switches for front vs real LED bars on my cab setup. I road my machine a lot. I'll turn off the bars temporarily to avoid blinding oncoming drivers but leave the dim headlights on so I'm still visible.

/ Long Shot - looking for color of running light wire L3800 #3  
I got an install kit from tractor supply I was very happy with, especially the switch. Mounted awesome, inline fuse etc. ready to go. Had it in there maybe 200 hours now?

/ Long Shot - looking for color of running light wire L3800 #4  
This should be super easy to determine with a multimeter. But sounds overcomplicated to me. I'd want a separate switch for the work lights. I ended up putting in two switches, one for front lights and one for rear lights. Rarely do I want them both on at the same time. Not sure I see the advantage of having work lights come on with tail lights. In fact it could be a disadvantage if they are really bright.

/ Long Shot - looking for color of running light wire L3800 #5  
My L2501 already had a worklight connector taped to the harness under the left rear fender. The circuit is fused at ten amps. I got a connector to plug into it, added a switch, and use it to power my light bar. My LED light bar draws five amps so I'm well covered. I do plan to add a relay powered by this circuit later for more accessories but this will carry me until I do that.

/ Long Shot - looking for color of running light wire L3800 #6  
As stated;your machine is already wired for extra lights;just need a switch and connector.

/ Long Shot - looking for color of running light wire L3800 #7  
Under the left rear fender there is I wire that's hot when the tractor is running ,The factory work light has a off/on switch .. This is how I wired mine... l3800 light switch 2.jpg

/ Long Shot - looking for color of running light wire L3800 #8  
I had an extra wire up under the right rear fender. It runs my single rear flood light.

/ Long Shot - looking for color of running light wire L3800
Thanks for the replies. The additional switch was my first thought. I actually cut off the 'work light connector' and wired it to feed a 6 position fuse block. The only things I am powering from that are my new camera installation (draws less than an amp) and the 2 LED work lights (draw a total of just over 3 amps). I was going to use a switch from the fuse block to the lights but the more I thought about it the less I wanted to install the switch (I already bought it). I don't drive the tractor on the road so how bright they are doesn't matter.

S219 you are right on. I'm an idiot and never noticed the plug right there. A multimeter is the answer and as an EE I just happen to have one :)

20201030_124738_resized.jpg

20201030_130242_resized.jpg

Last edited:
   / Long Shot - looking for color of running light wire L3800 #10  
As a reference for others as you already cut of the plug.... Original 2 pin Power connector for VHF/UHF Power cords - Power source side | Powerwerx is the connector under the fender. Don't remember if the tractor side is male or female. But its a common ham radio plug. They have the matching plug at Powerwerx as well if I got the gender wrong.

All the Ls have them. Open station is under the left rear fender. Cabbed Grands have it under the pillar cover behind the left door.