Long driveway and home appraisals?

/ Long driveway and home appraisals? #31  
Try Farm Credit of Mid America or Similar bank

/ Long driveway and home appraisals? #32  
I ran into that at the a couple of days from closing... Bank had everything for several weeks and then said they couldn't loan because home is on 6.19 acres...

Trying to do a refi right now and the lot is a 1/4 acre and it is also a problem...

Some I know were able to go to the Farm Bureau of Farm Extension for larger parcels.

/ Long driveway and home appraisals? #33  
My driveway - all on my own property - is 5,300 feet from major highway to my home. It's all gravel, up and down a few respectable hills, has some curves to boot - and is mostly in a forest where ice doesn't melt too quickly. I built it in 1994 for a weekend place, then built my permanent retirement home in 2001. Power and phone are three feet under the road all the way in... The co-op's idea, not my request. But that works for me.

I have had no problems with insurance at all. They know of the road, and I have a pond near the house which is good for a hydrant equivalent. Since I have over 100 acres, I could not get normal bank mortgage anyway. They will not finance anything they can't sell - and they didn't care about the road. So I financed with Farm Credit. They did it easily, promptly and at a reasonable rate.

As for having to be rich to afford a long drive... I'm sure being rich would help, but I get by with only a modest income. With a tractor and box blade, I can smooth out the road regularly, and make gravel last a long time. I add a few loads of gravel every 2 to 3 years - although I went 4 years during the long drought several years back.

I value the privacy of being a half mile from any neighbor. I have dogs and other resources for security, and very few unwanted visitors. It's a great way to live.

/ Long driveway and home appraisals?
Thanks for the replies everyone. We did try Farm Credit Services and qualified however the rate for over 50 acres was 5.5% so that's not really an option. Farmer Mac was about 4.5%. Our second location option is still a great spot to build and saves us about 700 feet of gravel. It still puts us about 4600 feet from the hwy and in the middle of a secluded 50 acre parcel. It also gets us into a traditional fixed at a lower rate.

My driveway - all on my own property - is 5,300 feet from major highway to my home. It's all gravel, up and down a few respectable hills, has some curves to boot - and is mostly in a forest where ice doesn't melt too quickly. I built it in 1994 for a weekend place, then built my permanent retirement home in 2001. Power and phone are three feet under the road all the way in... The co-op's idea, not my request. But that works for me.

I have had no problems with insurance at all. They know of the road, and I have a pond near the house which is good for a hydrant equivalent. Since I have over 100 acres, I could not get normal bank mortgage anyway. They will not finance anything they can't sell - and they didn't care about the road. So I financed with Farm Credit. They did it easily, promptly and at a reasonable rate.

As for having to be rich to afford a long drive... I'm sure being rich would help, but I get by with only a modest income. With a tractor and box blade, I can smooth out the road regularly, and make gravel last a long time. I add a few loads of gravel every 2 to 3 years - although I went 4 years during the long drought several years back.

I value the privacy of being a half mile from any neighbor. I have dogs and other resources for security, and very few unwanted visitors. It's a great way to live.

We are really looking forward to the move. We have 3 kids ages 4, 7, and 8 and are fortunate to be able to build at a time when they can enjoy the home and location as well. As soon as we get the floor plans finalized I'll probably start a thread on our build.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

WOODEN FENCE POST BUNDLE (A32908)
WOODEN FENCE POST...
SEMI FIFTH WHEEL WRECKER BOOM (A32908)
SEMI FIFTH WHEEL...
Stull Feeders Cube Feeder (A33041)
Stull Feeders Cube...
2002 Komatsu D39PX Doser (A33544)
2002 Komatsu D39PX...
Used Milwaukee 7 1/4" Tilt Lock Framing Saw (A33349)
Used Milwaukee 7...
2008 Express T81865 18FT Enclosed Trailer (A32932)
2008 Express...