Long driveway and home appraisals?

/ Long driveway and home appraisals? #11  
TMR said:
Jeremy...just a thought. How many actual current land owners either use or abut the common portion of the total 5000' road? If the land is mostly owned by two or three owners that may have common interests with you...perhaps you could ask/suggest having a simple "road maintenance" agreement drafted for the "common" portions of the road? Might be valuable years down the road if more land has been sold in parcels and there are more owners on the road?? I don't think it would cost too much to get a knowledgeable attorney to set up such an agreement. Food for thought...TMR

Jeremy, this recommendation is absolutely critical in my opinion. Look ahead 10 years and you get a wash out in the road any you have different neighbors who could careless and on and on...you will have a problem if you don't have a maintenance agreement and how to fix, who pays, etc. you need this to sell your property also.

/ Long driveway and home appraisals?
Originally Posted by TMR said:
Jeremy...just a thought. How many actual current land owners either use or abut the common portion of the total 5000' road? If the land is mostly owned by two or three owners that may have common interests with you...perhaps you could ask/suggest having a simple "road maintenance" agreement drafted for the "common" portions of the road? Might be valuable years down the road if more land has been sold in parcels and there are more owners on the road?? I don't think it would cost too much to get a knowledgeable attorney to set up such an agreement. Food for thought...TMR
Jeremy, this recommendation is absolutely critical in my opinion. Look ahead 10 years and you get a wash out in the road any you have different neighbors who could careless and on and on...you will have a problem if you don't have a maintenance agreement and how to fix, who pays, etc. you need this to sell your property also.

Good info and food for thought guys. Thanks. We own the property from the hwy all the way back to where our home would be. The easement sits on our property. The adjacent land owner put the road in out of his own pocket. There would be three total landowners along this road including us. There is only a verbal agreement at this point that I would share the maintenance cost of the road with him if we decide to build. I have the equipment and means to maintain the road myself if needed, however I can see your point about a formal agreement being important if we decided to sell at some point.

My initial posts was out of concern of the home not appraising enough to qualify for a fixed rate after it was finished due to the road but some additional points made are very helpful.

Jeremy

/ Long driveway and home appraisals? #13  
I have a long driveway, the appraisers and banks don't care. The main issue I run into is with the insurance company. Lots of questions about how close to a fire hydrant we are, how accessible is the house to emergency vehicles etc.

These issues are further compounded by the fact that the house is on top of a very steep hill. Funny thing is my driveway is much better maintained and accessible than the county road.

/ Long driveway and home appraisals? #14  
Thanks guys. The home will be a timber frame home so that in itself along with the location will make it unique

That's probably going to work against you on the appraisal. The house we're building now is a mountain/craftsman style, with a lot of exterior trim details (beams, brackets, rafter tails, etc) along with exposed beams on the inside. All of that cost $$ of course, but buys no favor with the appraisor. So as a result, our house is expensive per square foot, and we had problems with the appraisal. They just don't value anything that deviates from "standard" for other homes (comparables) in the area that have sold recently. I hope you have better luck with the appraisor than we did!

/ Long driveway and home appraisals? #15  
Couple of thoughts. I don't think your appraisal will be affected unless the road is such that emergency vehicles can't easily get up it. As Catfish says your insurance company will be the bigger problem. As far as homeowner associations and road maintenance agreement go, I own a place with about a mile of private gravel road and there is a road maintenance agreement in the covenants. About 90% of the lots (5 to 10 acres each) are unoccupied and the owners are non participants when it comes to maintenance. Based on what an attorney told us the only way to enforce those covenants is to individually sue each non participating landowner and the cost would not make it practical. If your moving onto that much private drive I would recommend you do so with the thought that it could all end up being your problem. Gravel is expensive, grading and snow removal is very time consuming with that much drive. Privacy is priceless.

MarkV

If your moving onto that much private drive I would recommend you do so with the thought that it could all end up being your problem. Gravel is expensive, grading and snow removal is very time consuming with that much drive.
MarkV

My only real concern is with the appraisal and making sure the home appraises for enough that it doesn't effect our ability to get into a fixed rate. On the other hand, the land is free and clear so I guess we could partition off as much or as little of the land with the house to bring the appraisal up if needed.

As far as the our neighbor kicking in or helping out I'm sure he will but would not be upset if he didn't. He did all of the initial work including laying over 4,000 feet of gravel and bringing power all the way back. I'm sure there were several hundred hours of dirt work that went into the road as well. Thanks to our neighbor we are now able to build in a place on the property that we never thought possible.

Privacy is priceless.
MarkV
We are really looking forward to it. We started our business about 13 years ago. At the time we built our building, we decided to build a house on the upper level of the building. It will be really nice to actually leave work at the end of the day and walk into a regular home.

Jeremy

/ Long driveway and home appraisals? #17  
Bad idea in my opinion. We live at the end of a one mile long township road in southeast Minnesota. There are five houses on this road including us. I can't imagine having to plow, grade and mow roadside on this road. We get excellent service from our township who contracts for all this work.

I hope you are independently wealthy. I understand the desire for privacy and your spot looks beautiful. But there are way to many things that could ruin it for you. You're so young I am sure you just don't think they can happen to you. No offense but as you get older and see different scenarios play out over the years it opens your eyes.

When you decide to sell this place, whether it's two years from now due to a divorce or 40 years from now due to health reasons the pool of possible buyers will be very small. You will have no negotiating power.

My advice is to rethink. Build a weekend place out in the woods and build your home in a more accessible place. Another thing. Woman like to hang around with other women. Going shopping. Out for lunch etc. You're going to make that very hard by living at the edge of the universe.

But best wishes to you.

frankroberts

/ Long driveway and home appraisals? #18  
Power is another consideration. I can't recall the details, but I think my power easement agreement with the local utility allows me to recoup some of the cost of the initial installation if it is extended to another customer. Just another detail to check on.

FrankRoberts post is food for thought. If this is to be a long-time home, it will pay to think ahead to a time when everything is a little more difficult than it used to be. :laughing: If you are concerned about finances, then don't over build beyond what the local conditions/market will support, or if you do, then be willing to walk away from that and put it down to enjoying life.

I don't know how much snow removal is a concern in your area, but a single axle dump truck with a snow plow will make quick work of a mile long driveway and the truck would be useful for driveway maintenance and other chores.

/ Long driveway and home appraisals? #19  
Here in my part of CA any single property owner on a private, unmaintained, road can petition the other owners to start a road co-op. If not everyone agrees, that same person can take it to the county who assigns a judge to force a road co-op by court order. The cost is set proportionally by how far your property is from the public road. Those property owners at the back end of the road pay more of the cost and those up by the public road pay less. Whether you live there or not. Doesn't make a difference if there is a building or not on your property. The county's interest in all of this is to have roads wide enough and maintained enough for emergency vehicle access.

Power is another consideration. I can't recall the details, but I think my power easement agreement with the local utility allows me to recoup some of the cost of the initial installation if it is extended to another customer. Just another detail to check on.

Power is taken care of. We allowed our neighbor to bring the power along the county road frontage across our land, did all of the tree removal for him to save him some money from the utility and split the cost of the power run. It was actually surprisingly cheap for how long the run was.

Bad idea in my opinion. We live at the end of a one mile long township road in southeast Minnesota. There are five houses on this road including us. I can't imagine having to plow, grade and mow roadside on this road. We get excellent service from our township who contracts for all this work.

I hope you are independently wealthy. I understand the desire for privacy and your spot looks beautiful. But there are way to many things that could ruin it for you. You're so young I am sure you just don't think they can happen to you. No offense but as you get older and see different scenarios play out over the years it opens your eyes.

When you decide to sell this place, whether it's two years from now due to a divorce or 40 years from now due to health reasons the pool of possible buyers will be very small. You will have no negotiating power.

My advice is to rethink. Build a weekend place out in the woods and build your home in a more accessible place. Another thing. Woman like to hang around with other women. Going shopping. Out for lunch etc. You're going to make that very hard by living at the edge of the universe.

But best wishes to you.

frankroberts

Wow - I can feel my dreams crashing down around me. lol. Regardless a very good post with good advise. Thanks Frank. I am not independently wealthy but wish I was. I've been maintaining the road since it was put in two years ago since the back of the property is also my hunting place. Right now its not a big deal. An 8 foot brush hog takes care of the mowing easily. One pass down and one pass back up. Would I be able to take care of it in 30 years, 40 years, not sure and something to think about.

One thing we are set on is a timber frame home. After touring several homes in the region I just cant see myself settling for a traditional stick built home. There is just no comparison.

Another thing. Woman like to hang around with other women. Going shopping. Out for lunch etc. You're going to make that very hard by living at the edge of the universe.
frankroberts

This is one of the things that I really like about the property, it feels like we are at the edge but we really are not. It takes as long to drive our road as it does to get town. Even though our closest neighbor would be about 2,000 feet away, we are 5 minutes to the grocery store and 15 minutes to the mall and movie theater. The property is 2 miles outside of the city limits.

Jeremy