Logging

/ Logging #1  

Lloyd_E

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 Kioti DK 45 sc
Helped my good friend do some logging yesterday. Harvested locust trees.
He will mill them into posts and building material at a later date. Some of the longs were over 50'+ long. We also helped his neighbor place some long pine logs into position for a slip way to haul his floating wharf out after the boating season. First time on the beach with tractor was a little worried about getting stuck with a rising tide.

The 3pt hitch worked flawlessly - lifting everything we threw at it! We figured some logs to be close to a 1000lbs.

Last image is of him. We had a great evening - first night able to sit outside by the fire.
The wives enjoyed the evening too!

Lloyd

Attachments

• IMG_1359.JPG
    IMG_1359.JPG
    432 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_1358.JPG
    IMG_1358.JPG
    544.1 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_1360.JPG
    IMG_1360.JPG
    681.9 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_1361.JPG
    IMG_1361.JPG
    645.1 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_1364.jpg
    IMG_1364.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1373.JPG
    IMG_1373.JPG
    485.4 KB · Views: 364
   / Logging
egon, You're right - about the only good use. I guess in its time it was better than a fireplace with open hearth cooking. I guess the next best use would be a mooring - incasing it in concrete of course!

lloyd

Last edited:
   / Logging #4  
I'd say by the pictures a few of those logs were way over 1000lbs? locust is a dense wood and can be heavy as heck. Works great for building wish I could come up with some more.

/ Logging
Thanks 2020.

You guess is more accurate than mine. Is there a formula for figuring it out?

Most of the trees came off his property. But there are many more in the area to be collected. His neighbours are more than happy to let him cut them down and haul them away.

lloyd

/ Logging #7  
some people don't realize that locust is one of the best firewoods out there so if people are happy to let you cut it down - get it.

/ Logging
dking,

My buddy is intent on building something with it. Knowing his schedule - and this is not to negate him, he is an extremely busy guy - I keep telling him I see a pile of firewood. He says it is locust and will keep for a long time as a log and will eventually get around to dealing with it:) :) :)!!!!

I am taking all of the limbs and twigs to make twig furniture - eventually!!!!

lloyd

/ Logging #9  
Lloyd, it's kinda a long drive, but I would have loaned you my grapple to handle those logs.;) Nice job! What was the temperature? That's what I'm the most jealous of.:rolleyes:

/ Logging #10  
Thanks 2020.

You guess is more accurate than mine. Is there a formula for figuring it out?

Most of the trees came off his property. But there are many more in the area to be collected. His neighbours are more than happy to let him cut them down and haul them away.

lloyd

Here's one someone posted here some time back, easy to use, but don't know if it figures green or seasoned.

Log Weight Calculator at WOODWEB