Logging winch and why I bought Igland - Norse 4501

/ Logging winch and why I bought Igland - Norse 4501 #11  
I use this for the end of the working line.

Attachments

• 846918D0-49A7-4D35-9EB4-75D9ABB98806.png
    846918D0-49A7-4D35-9EB4-75D9ABB98806.png
    531.5 KB · Views: 112
   / Logging winch and why I bought Igland - Norse 4501 #12  
That's what I use as well.
It allows for cutting off the end of the cable that catches all the he!! and is easy to attach any of the other style chain hook on 4 links of chain, think "adapter" for whatever you might need to hook to.👍

/ Logging winch and why I bought Igland - Norse 4501 #13  
I use this for the end of the working line.
thanks... does this pull on the existing crimped ferrel or does it clamp or crimp to the cable and ferrel gets cut off?

/ Logging winch and why I bought Igland - Norse 4501 #14  
It's a compression wedge fit on the bare tag end of the cable.

/ Logging winch and why I bought Igland - Norse 4501 #15  
That was quite an assessment... it appears that you really did your homework. I concur that they all seem to work well.

/ Logging winch and why I bought Igland - Norse 4501
As far as the hook, I like the one that came with the winch. I attached a pic that I had in my computer (sorry for the wide view but I think you can enlarge and see it). The hook has a deep throat to slide through the brush when retrieving it and not wanting it to catch on roots and branches, yet keeps a chain in place.

Attachments

• Resized_20211120_113045.jpg
    Resized_20211120_113045.jpg
    643.4 KB · Views: 100
   / Logging winch and why I bought Igland - Norse 4501 #17  
As far as the hook, I like the one that came with the winch. I attached a pic that I had in my computer (sorry for the wide view but I think you can enlarge and see it). The hook has a deep throat to slide through the brush when retrieving it and not wanting it to catch on roots and branches, yet keeps a chain in place.
That looks handy as well.

/ Logging winch and why I bought Igland - Norse 4501 #18  
My Uniforest 35M came with one of these:

Swivel-End-Fitter-T3small.png

If I need a hook on the end I can just make one with a short length of chain.

OTOH having the cable end be a cable choker is mighty convenient, at the cost of a bit of reach. There's limited places to pull from on my land so I wanted to maximize reach. That was one of the reasons I went with the Uniforest, it's got the most cable in that size winch. I think the Krpan is a similar design with a similar cable capacity.

/ Logging winch and why I bought Igland - Norse 4501 #19  
My Uniforest 35M came with one of these:

Swivel-End-Fitter-T3small.png

If I need a hook on the end I can just make one with a short length of chain.

OTOH having the cable end be a cable choker is mighty convenient, at the cost of a bit of reach. There's limited places to pull from on my land so I wanted to maximize reach. That was one of the reasons I went with the Uniforest, it's got the most cable in that size winch. I think the Krpan is a similar design with a similar cable capacity.
I really really liked the 35m especially the built in storage trays.... not having the trays is biggest dislike on my FX85. I just had to choose the FX as it is so common around here parts and service trumped it.
Unfortunately no Uniforest dealers near me :( If there was I would have had a yellow winch in my machine shed instead of orange.

/ Logging winch and why I bought Igland - Norse 4501 #20  
I've got the smaller Norse 250 on my 25-horse Bobcat, and am very happy to have gone with this make and model. Easily pulls anything I've needed it to so far. Granted, I'm thinning a plantation and skidded material is small diameter, but I'm bunching several at a time thru lots of slash and whatnot. I like the rugged build and simplicity of this unit.

I do need to add some hooks. There's not enough means to store stuff, just one little box. I put saws, gas/oil crate, other odds and ends in tractor bucket, which is fine. But in addition to 3 or 4 choker chains, I like to keep 2 different lengths of choker cables on the winch too. That's the only thing-some means to store more of this stuff, but not a biggie in my opinion.

Now quick question for all you winch owners....do you lube the chain, and if so, how? My skimpy Norse manual says to do, but somewhere I've seen mention that one must be very careful not to get oil on the clutch pads/face. Any views on this? I mostly using mine in winter, so no real hope of everything staying dry, cable itself, etc.

Thinking of painting all my choker chains different bright colors. Might've gotten the idea from someone on this board. In any case, might make life easier.