Log splitter wheels

/ Log splitter wheels #11  
Is this foam something you can buy off the rack?
Find any industrial tire shop that also works on fork lift tires and heavy equipment tires and they'll be able to foam the tires. It isn't particularly cheap, but if you start with good tires, it will last you for a very long time.

They may wish to batch small orders like handtruck tires or garden cart tires. Perhaps also your splitter tires. Give them a call and ask when they would want you to bring in the tires.

As far as your bearings, you could see if you can locate new bearings that are the right size. Are they sealed bearings? Do the old bearings fit in the new wheels? Perhaps get the size from the old ones.

/ Log splitter wheels #12  
OP: again, recommend getting a spare if you plan hauling any distance from home, good luck

/ Log splitter wheels
I bought it about 5 miles away and since then it has only gone across the street to a neighbor who borrows it. But as I said, eventually I will sell it and don't want to sell something that could be a hazard to the buyer

/ Log splitter wheels
Update: I bought 5 of the 3/4"x1" bushings at Lowes for $1.50 each, so about half of TSC. They were 1" to a few thousandths over so I made a jig on my wood lathe that they would slip over and used a file and sandpaper to get them a few thousandths under 1". I have not gotten around to taking the old wheels off yet but am assuming that axles are a bit under 3/4" and bushings will slip over them but I have a 3/4" drill bit in case.

Attachments

• bushing jig.jpg
    bushing jig.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • bushing jig2.jpg
    bushing jig2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8