Log splitter - don't laugh

/ Log splitter - don't laugh #1  

smfcpacfp

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
I built this 29 years ago, all from scrap parts. The engine is a Wisconsin single cylinder engine built in the early built in the mid 50's for $75. It needed a new magnito.

A friend of mine gave me the hydraulic pump. I bought the hydraulic cylinder in Denver while visiting my sister. I have no idea where I got the steel. I bought the selector valve, hoses, and fittings.

Since it wasn't an engineered product, it runs how it runs - slowly. Anyway I have split a lot of wood with this ugly beast.

Log-splitter.jpg

Log-splitter-2.jpg

Log-splitter-3.jpg

/ Log splitter - don't laugh #2  
I never laugh at something that works. A friend of mine has one very similar. Ugly but it sure split those 3' dia rounds of Doug Fir!

/ Log splitter - don't laugh #3  
Ive sure seen much more uglier.If it does the job thats all that matters.

/ Log splitter - don't laugh #4  
Steve a little paint and it would look great! (LOL) Sure you have some good memories about working with that machine!

Lot of people talk about how fast their machine splits wood, I typically speak about how will I keep up with my old splitter.

One thing for sure you can see it behind your truck going down the road with the length and size of the tires!

/ Log splitter - don't laugh #5  
Looks identical to my wisconsin that has been running my splitter for the last 30 years since a rebuild...What is wrong with your mag? I had to clean mine, the "points" had corroded and it wouldn't spark. If you aren't inclined to tear in yourself, there are shops that specialize in repairing magnetos. They seems to be hard to find and expensive for these old W's.

/ Log splitter - don't laugh #6  
Mmmmmmm mmmmmmmm mmmmmmmm mmmmmmm !!!! Look at all that delicious firewood ! :)

I say your splitter has lots of character.

/ Log splitter - don't laugh #7  
That's a great looking old machine..Those old Wisconsins are beast. If it isn't lugging too much can you speed it's cycle time by decreasing the pulley size on the engine?
Does the hydraulic fluid get very warm in the tank? The tank on my 34 ton splitter is about 2 times that size.

/ Log splitter - don't laugh #8  
I don't see it as being ugly at all. I don't think you would get 30 years out of new store bought splitter. Thats one heavy looking cylinder what is it off of?

/ Log splitter - don't laugh #9  
It actually looks more road worthy than most splitters I see. Nice big wheels and a decent stance.

/ Log splitter - don't laugh #10  
They don't get any better than that.

In the last picture it appears the woodpile collapsed on the splitter. I assume you will leave it alone and uncover it as you burn the wood this winter!

Or do you use it for a wood trailer too?