Loader Loader lift pressure gauge

/ Loader lift pressure gauge
Well Mr. Smokeydog....

First: I happen to have two "nose weights" that go under my loader backhoe. If I recall, I think they are combined right at 500 lbs. There IS a weight (in Kg) stamped on them. I don't recall what it is but it's a known quantity.

Second: I live in Greenback so I'm not terribly far from you

If you want to know and have the means to either bring your tractor here or come here and carry them back (and of course, return them! HA!) You're more than welcome to borrow them.

I'm in process of bolting them back to the underside of the backhoe however, the "washers" that keep them held up were machined for me and are slightly too large so they need some more fabricating before they'll fit into their spot so these can be bolted back on.

Meanwhile, they're just sitting here as dead weight.

Let me know if interested. If you DO have interest and ability to transport your tractor, there is plenty of room here to load/unload and move it around.

Thank you for your generous offer. Always good to have fellow TBN members near. I’ll pass for now. I was able to use the crane scale to measure the counterweight, grapple and land plane. The land plane weight confirmed by EA website.

After lifting the various know weights using the torque tube of the QA to center the center of gravity over bucket pivot and similar height. The gauge is consistent. Figuring a formula for weight not so much.

Agree the relationship is some sort of mathematical curve. Published specs shows higher lifting capacities at lower position not higher. Been my experience with other loaders being able to lift something but not load a truck. There is geometric travel component and changing moment arms that influence too.

Without a front implement attached 340psi.
I can push down and lift the tractor front end off the ground and the gauge goes to zero. Gauge capable of reading a vacuum.
Stored overnight, morning reading 500-600psi. Can relive pressure using joystick before starting and get zero. Backlight is nice.

The Means of using a loader pressure gauge as a weight scale is elusive so far. Several variables have to be considered and controlled. It is interesting seeing how this function does work. Never know till you try.

I would think that if you lift to the same point all the time the calibrating should give consistent results. For me the same point would be something like when the crossbar on the loader is inline with my eyes and the hood of the tractor.

What little I have lifted known weights from the same point the gauge is consistent.
Given enough objects like hay bales, weighing with crane scale, lifting consistently, recording pressures, develop a chart might be fairly accurate. But would be different for logs or buckets of gravel.
The lift pressure gauge is an interesting puzzle piece and trying to see how it fits in the big picture the challenge.

/ Loader lift pressure gauge #13  
But would be different for logs or buckets of gravel.

I would think that the bucket would need to be curled to the same position every time in order for the results to be consistent. Therefor you would need different charts for say a set of pallet forks etc.

I don't think that different materials would change the charts too much. If a load of logs was completely within the bucket I think the gauge would be as accurate as a bucket with gravel. I would think that if the logs were sticking over the sides the accuracy would still be ok. If the logs were sticking out a fair ways over the lip of the bucket though that might change the accuracy. It's an interesting question.

/ Loader lift pressure gauge #14  
If you ever watch the loaders at most quarries, they have a weight scale built into them, you'll see them take a scoop then bring the loader to arms to a set height. Because of the geometry of the loader its easier to calibrate it to one set height.

Typically loader arms horrizontal and bucket curled all the way back from the ones at my quarries.

/ Loader lift pressure gauge #15  
If you ever watch the loaders at most quarries, they have a weight scale built into them, you'll see them take a scoop then bring the loader to arms to a set height. Because of the geometry of the loader its easier to calibrate it to one set height.

Typically loader arms horrizontal and bucket curled all the way back from the ones at my quarries.

They only work with the bucket all the way back and the arms at a predetermined height. Using hydraulic pressure to weigh varying size and position objects with any degree of accuracy is about impossible.

/ Loader lift pressure gauge #16  
They only work with the bucket all the way back and the arms at a predetermined height. Using hydraulic pressure to weigh varying size and position objects with any degree of accuracy is about impossible.
Yup, like I said.

They are surprisingly accurate though, most loads are within 20lbs on a 10k load of gravel when I'm picking up material.

The pressure gauge accuracy is without question. Interpreting the results is the question.

Quarry end loaders not only weigh with the bucket curled back but more importantly when curling forward dispensing their product. I’m sure they use a more elaborate mechanism and expensive gauge setup.

I was hoping with such a large knowledge and experience base others might have tried this with better success. Not given up just not as simple as I first thought. I have some logs I can weigh individually and lift in groups and see if I can find a meaningful curve.

Part of the variable component influencing pressure is wide variety of attachments and materials being lifted.

There maybe other useful information gleaned from monitoring the loader pressure during operation also.

/ Loader lift pressure gauge #18  
Thanks for the pics. so your bladder PSI settings are probably a little on the high side since they are designed for a larger loader. but they are lower than I would have expected.

I think the geometry of the load will have a larger effect than we think.

/ Loader lift pressure gauge #19  

Yes - - Change the height, bucket curl or load position in bucket and weight will be way off. Somewhat accurate when used strictly as described above using materials that lay in the bucket nicely.