Loaded tires or air for a better/smoother ride?

/ Loaded tires or air for a better/smoother ride? #11  
Filled tires keep the tractor more planted. It's not that bouncing. Radial tires is the way to go.

/ Loaded tires or air for a better/smoother ride? #12  
Air filled tires at the needed pressure for the load they are carrying have more give and a better ride then liquid filled tires do.
When half filled with liquid or filled to the level of the valve stem you have reduced the volume of air, it can not have the amount of comprehensibility of a tire with just air.
I prefer cast iron over filled tires, it does cost more initially.

/ Loaded tires or air for a better/smoother ride? #13  
Air filled tires at the needed pressure for the load they are carrying have more give and a better ride then liquid filled tires do.
When half filled with liquid or filled to the level of the valve stem you have reduced the volume of air, it can not have the amount of comprehensibility of a tire with just air.
Right on Lou and so do I. Considering 99% of all tractors have NO suspension in the first place, 'ride is entirely predicated on the roughness of the surface you are driving on, your speed and how good your seat suspension is or isn't.

If you want a tractor with suspension, go buy a JCB or a large ag tractor like a Fendt. Smaller tractors will all have no suspension.

Never had filled tires on any of mine, never will.

As an aside, on most medium sized tractors you can order them with cast centers. Both of my Kubota's came from the factory with cast centers.

/ Loaded tires or air for a better/smoother ride?
Thanks Lou, that’s my thinking. Water doesn’t compress. A softer ride with R-4‘s is what I’m after. It’s a mowing tractor 90% of the time on flat ground. No loader needed in the past four years on an identical open station. Air ride seat is back ordered.

Last edited:
   / Loaded tires or air for a better/smoother ride?
Depends on exactly what tires it has on it.

SR
R-4’s. Left that out. A better softer ride is my #1 goal. Sciatica sucks :(

Thanks.

/ Loaded tires or air for a better/smoother ride? #16  
Usually R4's are a higher ply rating then R1's or turfs.
Yes, Sciatica is a royal pain in the....
Your air ride seat should help a lot.

/ Loaded tires or air for a better/smoother ride? #17  
Pressure is pressure, but volume is volume.
Imagine a tire deflecting 1/2 way to the rim.
With only air, there’s lots of other space to take up the air when the volume decreases when the tire compresses without the pressure increasing much and giving a hard ride.
Even with water in them, the normal deflection is usually so little and the air pressure above the liquid is low enough that you’re not going to notice a difference if filled. How fast are we talking? As noted, tire types are more of a variable.
2 cents, mileage may vary.

/ Loaded tires or air for a better/smoother ride? #18  
I added h2o & rv antifreeze- with a $6 part @ TSC, funnel, & garden hose -same labelled tire pressure- a few months back.
No noticeable ride diff; I do get better traction in wet, pulling, and obvious improved ballast w/ FEL-grapple
How much do they charge for adding water- hourly service $$ ??
It is worth it for performance; I would not think you'd get more comfort; it is a tractor, not a sports car.....but you could spend a pretty penny & get a Lamborghini Tractor, I hear they ride smooth

1662134429881.png
1662134493972.png

Hello all,
Kubota dealer has suggested loading the tires with water (at no charge) on the cabbed L5460 that is to be delivered later this week to improve the ride. This tractor will replace the identical open station I currently have. He knows I have back issues. The air ride seat is on order so it will be installed later. Note I do not intend to have a FEL any time soon. Good thing as loaders are back ordered for 6-8 months o_O. Plain water is standard in this area.

My question to those with experience, which provides a softer ride, loaded tires or air only at a lowered pressure? R-4’s.
Thanks.

edited 8/30 2 pm

/ Loaded tires or air for a better/smoother ride? #19  
Hello all,
Kubota dealer has suggested loading the tires with water (at no charge) on the cabbed L5460 that is to be delivered later this week to improve the ride. This tractor will replace the identical open station I currently have. He knows I have back issues. The air ride seat is on order so it will be installed later. Note I do not intend to have a FEL any time soon. Good thing as loaders are back ordered for 6-8 months o_O. Plain water is standard in this area.

My question to those with experience, which provides a softer ride, loaded tires or air only at a lowered pressure? R-4’s.
Thanks.

edited 8/30 2 pm
Go for the weighted wheels. They will have the same air pressure but the added weight will reduce bounce that will affect your back directly. Weight fluid is heavier than water by the way!

/ Loaded tires or air for a better/smoother ride? #20  
air is compressible, fluid is not