Little Tiller on A Bigger Tractor

/ Little Tiller on A Bigger Tractor #11  
For years I ran a pto tiller on my tractor to prepare the garden bed, then ended up hoeing by hand between the rows during the growing season. I bought this last year. It is the best walk behind tiller I’ve ever used and built like it will last for years. I like that it can be switched between forward and counter rotation easily, also has forward and reverse drive on the wheels. And the wheels can be power driven without tines operating. Shipping is free if you don’t need a lift gate truck (perfect use for pallet forks).

/ Little Tiller on A Bigger Tractor #12  
I would think the Max HP rating is based on the gearbox rating. With a slip clutch, you should be fine.

/ Little Tiller on A Bigger Tractor
For years I ran a pto tiller on my tractor to prepare the garden bed, then ended up hoeing by hand between the rows during the growing season. I bought this last year. It is the best walk behind tiller I’ve ever used and built like it will last for years. I like that it can be switched between forward and counter rotation easily, also has forward and reverse drive on the wheels. And the wheels can be power driven without tines operating. Shipping is free if you don’t need a lift gate truck (perfect use for pallet forks).

I've got a Cub Cadet branded tiller that I've had for several years now that looks very similar to that DR one. It makes me wonder if they're made in the same factory and just rebranded??

I will say for a walk behind, I'm very pleased with mine. I like the forward and reverse tine rotation options. Still, it's a whole lot easier on my body to use a tractor whenever possible.

/ Little Tiller on A Bigger Tractor #14  
I've got a Cub Cadet branded tiller that I've had for several years now that looks very similar to that DR one. It makes me wonder if they're made in the same factory and just rebranded??

I will say for a walk behind, I'm very pleased with mine. I like the forward and reverse tine rotation options. Still, it's a whole lot easier on my body to use a tractor whenever possible.
When I research the tillers I talked with DR. They insisted that their tiller was entirely made by their company in Wisconsin, even the engine is DR brand and is commercial grade. DR was bought by Generac Corporation several years ago and the engine is basically Generac.

/ Little Tiller on A Bigger Tractor #15  
I don't believe ANYTHING DR sells is "commercial" grade no matter what they say!

SR

/ Little Tiller on A Bigger Tractor #16  
I don't believe ANYTHING DR sells is "commercial" grade no matter what they say!

SR
They are a different company since being bought by Generac. I was comparing my tiller to a friend’s older model. The Generac model seems better built. Definitely much better than the new MTD manufactured Troy Builts. After researching, the only machines that are built more durable cost 4 times the price. Regardless, it had the features I wanted at a reasonable price and seems to do the job with plenty of reserve power.

/ Little Tiller on A Bigger Tractor #17  
I'd like to get a tiller for turning 36" wide garden beds. Something from about 33-36 inches wide would work well. I'd like to pull it with a tractor with 60hp at the PTO. The few tillers I've found on the market in that size range aren't rated for that much horsepower. I think the max I saw was for 40hp.

Does anyone make a heavier duty tiller in that size range?

If I can't get a heavier duty tiller, will a lighter duty one hold up to a tractor with more horsepower?

The garden beds will have been previously tilled, so there shouldn't be any large rocks or tree roots or such. Part of me thinks that as long as I'm going at a normal tilling speed and there is a slip clutch involved the tiller won't know the difference. The other part of me is suspicious I'll snap something important in no time flat. Anyone else ever tried this?

The slip clutch will protect the tiller if it is properly adjusted and not seized. If the slip clutch is seized or improperly adjusted and you hit something solid, you may very well break something in the tiller. I would follow the instructions in the tiller's or driveline's manual about loosening the slip clutch to make sure it slips and is not seized, and then resetting to proper specs. I run a tractor with about the same PTO HP as yours on a 6' tiller that is also rated for 40 HP and it has been perfectly fine, and there are still some rocks in my garden.