Little Tiller on A Bigger Tractor

/ Little Tiller on A Bigger Tractor #1  

Iowa Hillbilly

Silver Member
Tractor
Case 2590, CIH 685, Case 400
I'd like to get a tiller for turning 36" wide garden beds. Something from about 33-36 inches wide would work well. I'd like to pull it with a tractor with 60hp at the PTO. The few tillers I've found on the market in that size range aren't rated for that much horsepower. I think the max I saw was for 40hp.

Does anyone make a heavier duty tiller in that size range?

If I can't get a heavier duty tiller, will a lighter duty one hold up to a tractor with more horsepower?

The garden beds will have been previously tilled, so there shouldn't be any large rocks or tree roots or such. Part of me thinks that as long as I'm going at a normal tilling speed and there is a slip clutch involved the tiller won't know the difference. The other part of me is suspicious I'll snap something important in no time flat. Anyone else ever tried this?

/ Little Tiller on A Bigger Tractor #2  
Well, I ran a wood chipper that was rated for 35 horsepower maximum on the pto of my 90 horse ag tractor for a few years with no issue. Just put a slip clutch between the pto and the input on the chipper so I don't think you'd have an issue other than the width of the tiller versus your rear tire spacing.

/ Little Tiller on A Bigger Tractor
Well, I ran a wood chipper that was rated for 35 horsepower maximum on the pto of my 90 horse ag tractor for a few years with no issue. Just put a slip clutch between the pto and the input on the chipper so I don't think you'd have an issue other than the width of the tiller versus your rear tire spacing.

The tire spacing isn't an issue, in that I'll be straddling the garden beds. I plan to mulch the aisles in between the beds with wood chips. I don't want to till the chips into the beds, but just till the beds themselves.

/ Little Tiller on A Bigger Tractor #4  
I'd like to get a tiller for turning 36" wide garden beds. Something from about 33-36 inches wide would work well. I'd like to pull it with a tractor with 60hp at the PTO. The few tillers I've found on the market in that size range aren't rated for that much horsepower. I think the max I saw was for 40hp.

Does anyone make a heavier duty tiller in that size range?

If I can't get a heavier duty tiller, will a lighter duty one hold up to a tractor with more horsepower?

The garden beds will have been previously tilled, so there shouldn't be any large rocks or tree roots or such. Part of me thinks that as long as I'm going at a normal tilling speed and there is a slip clutch involved the tiller won't know the difference. The other part of me is suspicious I'll snap something important in no time flat. Anyone else ever tried this?
If a PTO driven tiller for the size you need would not work, then on those existing tilled gardens, snag a compact tractor notched disc harrow.

1678666427374.png

DSCF6033 - Copy.JPG

/ Little Tiller on A Bigger Tractor
More power shouldn't be a problem. I run a 5' tiller behind a 50HP tractor on occasion. Just treat it gently.
Your comment and that of Sawyer Rob give me a bit more confidence. I figured it should work OK, but I definitely didn't want to trash a couple of grand just to learn otherwise.