Like the rk37. Are there any 3rd function options?

/ Like the rk37. Are there any 3rd function options?
I wish someone would show how the grapple works. I only seen the single button. Do you hold the button and use joystick. And if so how could you have all 3 functions. Or is there 2 buttons that work the grapple independently of the joystick. I know it’s probably not a big deal either way I’d just like to know. And absolutely cannot find out.

/ Like the rk37. Are there any 3rd function options? #22  
I wish someone would show how the grapple works. I only seen the single button. Do you hold the button and use joystick. And if so how could you have all 3 functions. Or is there 2 buttons that work the grapple independently of the joystick. I know it’s probably not a big deal either way I’d just like to know. And absolutely cannot find out.

With the third function installed, the raise/lower of the loader arms works the same. Move joystick forward or back, loader arms go up or down.

Move joystick to left or right, bucket or grapple or anything else curls up or down.

When you press the button on the joystick, movement left or right of the joystick changes from curl to opening or closing grapple.

So, let’s say you want to grab a log lying on the ground.

Pull up to it, lower the loader arms to the ground by moving the joystick forward.

Open the grapple jaws up by simultaneously pressing the button on the joystick and moving the joystick to the right.

Drive the tractor forward under the log.

Simultaneously press button and move joystick to the left. This will close the jaws around the log.

Without pressing the button, move joystick to the right. This will curl the grapple up.

Move joystick back to raise the loader arms to get everything off the ground.

/ Like the rk37. Are there any 3rd function options?
With the third function installed, the raise/lower of the loader arms works the same. Move joystick forward or back, loader arms go up or down.

Move joystick to left or right, bucket or grapple or anything else curls up or down.

When you press the button on the joystick, movement left or right of the joystick changes from curl to opening or closing grapple.

So, let’s say you want to grab a log lying on the ground.

Pull up to it, lower the loader arms to the ground by moving the joystick forward.

Open the grapple jaws up by simultaneously pressing the button on the joystick and moving the joystick to the right.

Drive the tractor forward under the log.

Simultaneously press button and move joystick to the left. This will close the jaws around the log.

Without pressing the button, move joystick to the right. This will curl the grapple up.

Move joystick back to raise the loader arms to get everything off the ground.

Thank you. This is exactly how I thought it worked.

/ Like the rk37. Are there any 3rd function options? #24  
Sounds like a diverter valve to me. I thought a true third function you could curl and open and close the grapple at same time. I use the rear remote on mine so correct me if I’m wrong.

/ Like the rk37. Are there any 3rd function options? #25  
Sounds like a diverter valve to me. I thought a true third function you could curl and open and close the grapple at same time. I use the rear remote on mine so correct me if I’m wrong.

You can raise/lower the loader, curl/uncurl the grapple and open/close the grapple all at the same time. A diverter valve you lose the curl function while you push the button to use the grapple. TYM has a multi positional switch ( left, center, right positions) on the joystick. Push it one way to open grapple the other to close it. The switch returns to center when you stop pushing on it. He is talking about the switch being pushed left or right, not the joystick. It’s a true 3rd function.

Last edited:
   / Like the rk37. Are there any 3rd function options? #26  
You can raise/lower the loader, curl/uncurl the grapple and open/close the grapple all at the same time. A diverter valve you lose the curl function while you push the button to use the grapple. TYM has a multi positional switch ( left, center, right positions) on the joystick. Push it one way to open grapple the other to close it. The switch returns to center when you stop pushing on it. He is talking about the switch being pushed left or right, not the joystick. It’s a true 3rd function.

I'm pretty sure it's actually only a button not a button/joystick. Which would mean you can EITHER curl or close/open grapple, not both at the same time. Not sure exactly if that qualifies as a diverter or not, but I'm thinking it is only a press in/release button on the joystick.

/ Like the rk37. Are there any 3rd function options? #27  
He is talking about the switch being pushed left or right, not the joystick. It’s a true 3rd function.

OK, now I'm confused. It sure sounds like he is talking about pushing the loader stick left/right, not the switch.

"Simultaneously press button and move joystick to the left. This will close the jaws around the log.
Without pressing the button, move joystick to the right. This will curl the grapple up."

Can RKTractorGuy confirm if the switch is multi-positional? The RK37 I looked at did not appear to have a multi-positional switch, but it was a quick glance so I could be mistaken.

/ Like the rk37. Are there any 3rd function options? #28  

This is what RK Tractor Guy said... So when you press the button, the joystick changes from curling to opening or closing grapple. So, not both at the same time.
And I believe the second part is the other way around. Moving the joystick (without pressing the button) will curl the grapple down. That should operate the same as the loader.

/ Like the rk37. Are there any 3rd function options? #29  
This comment from Sysop might help:

"Basically, a true third function has two switches; one to extend a cylinder, the other to retract it. When you press one of the two buttons, one of the two solenoids opens a valve to actuate the cylinder.

A diverter is going to have one button. When you press it, it switches the flow path from the "diverted" function to the 3rd function ports. You then move the existing lever one way or the other to activate flow at the 3rd function ports.

The main differences are:
-With a diverter, you are disabling one of the functions when the button is pressed, but you can feather the lever to adjust the flow and pressure. A skilled operator could use a grapple to take hold of someone's hand without crushing it easily. (hush up safety police)
-With a true 3rd function, as long as you are feathering the controls enough to still have flow at the power beyond, you can operate all three functions at once. You have no control over the speed or pressure it operates. There is a high probability even a skilled operator would crush a persons hand if they tried to take hold of it with a grapple. (again, hush up safety police)

For some people, diverters work best, for others, 3rd function. I think the most popular opinion is that a skilled operator can be slowed down with a diverter and there is little downside to a 3rd function. But if you occasionally want to clamp down on pallets or pipes or other things that could be damaged, a diverter is the way to go."

/ Like the rk37. Are there any 3rd function options? #30  
So as Darmstron239 pointed out it would appear to operate as a diverter, if curl and grapple open/close cannot be used simultaneously.

Not a big deal in my opinion. I'm not coordinated enough to open/close/curl at the same time anyway.