Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,951  
I have the new to me Seppi SMO 200 mower in the shop now. I thought the first thing to do was drain the gearbox....simple thing to do right?

I think I found a drain plug, though it is not at the lowest point of the housing. So I got out the old suction gun, which apparently the suction gasket is so old it won't pull vacuum anymore.

Also not evident is a level plug. Oh, and the PDF manual I have does not include anything about the gearbox, except to make sure there is 80/90 weight in it before using.

Does anyone have experience with this gearbox? I have removed belt driven gear boxes from my John Deere belly motors to drain, so maybe that is how this box is meant to be drained? Gearbox images:

IMG_0372.jpeg

IMG_0373.jpeg
I am not sure, but this is maybe the drain plug?

Thanks again,
Doug

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,952  
You need a 12 point box end wrench.

The oil seal looks to be damaged. I guess for now you could use corn picker grease.

The gearbox vent should be checked to make sure its open as it looks like it was walloped at some point.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,953  
You need a 12 point box end wrench.

The oil seal looks to be damaged. I guess for now you could use corn picker grease.

The gearbox vent should be checked to make sure it’s open as it looks like it was walloped at some point.
I have plenty of 12 point box wrenches. You seem to imply removing a bolt to drain the gear lube. Are you suggesting removal of the bolt on the bottom of the housing?

During the demo, oil vented from the vent, I suppose indicating over full. I pulled the fill/vent plug, and it sure looked overfull to me. I assume roughly half full, or maybe a little over half full would be plenty of gear lube. I could use a piece of wire for a dipstick i guess.

Also, the plug was loose, and the gear lube was the color of butterscotch. I assume water ingress due to the loose plug. That is the main reason i want to change the gear lube ASAP.

Thanks for the input,
Doug

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,954  
I am starting another thread concerning my Seppi SMO 200. Check it out if you like.

Doug

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,955  
I got my Mott 72" fine cut out to use and found one of the bearings in the roller had gone south. It is an older style with the bearings inside the roller that unfortunately Flail Masters is not carrying anymore. So now the search begins to find replacements, FAFNIR 1106KPPB Z. Yeah I will replace both sides to be safe. BUT the problem is the only ones I have been able to locate so far are priced at nearly $500 for two bearings that should be, IMHO, around $100 each and the spacer for the side with the bad bearing is $125 which is nothing but an extra thick washer.

At these prices I will have more in a hand full of parts than I paid for the whole thing. I may decide just to scrap it, if I cannot find better prices, since I have NEVER been happy with the cut. Here is a pic (before I put the belt shield back on) of it after I replaced the seals in the gear box, replaced the knives and painted it a while back.
Alamo Mott painted 008.resized.jpg

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,956  
I got my Mott 72" fine cut out to use and found one of the bearings in the roller had gone south. It is an older style with the bearings inside the roller that unfortunately Flail Masters is not carrying anymore. So now the search begins to find replacements, FAFNIR 1106KPPB Z. Yeah I will replace both sides to be safe. BUT the problem is the only ones I have been able to locate so far are priced at nearly $500 for two bearings that should be, IMHO, around $100 each and the spacer for the side with the bad bearing is $125 which is nothing but an extra thick washer.

At these prices I will have more in a hand full of parts than I paid for the whole thing. I may decide just to scrap it, if I cannot find better prices, since I have NEVER been happy with the cut. Here is a pic (before I put the belt shield back on) of it after I replaced the seals in the gear box, replaced the knives and painted it a while back.
View attachment 862719
1713280409827.png

and here is $55
1713280628262.png

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,957  
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a bit of advice, any recommendations for a flail mover that would suit 35HP (CK3520SE)? I'm in Canada (Alberta specifically) and I'm having a hard time finding much - I was leaning towards a TMG Industrial 60” Flail Mower but having read a few threads on here about them it seems like a should stay clear.

I won't be using it a great deal, maybe once every 2 months, clean up around an orchard and then knocking down a wildflower meadow twice a season.

Thanks.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,958  
Thanks for the info. Google found the $174 bearing this afternoon when I had time to search, I like the price of the KRRB bearing much better. The dimensions appear to be identical but I have not been able to determine if it is lubed though the inner race same as the KPPB. Still researching...

Well after several hours I finally figured out the KRRB lubes though the outer race so while it will fit there will be no way to lubricate it. Makes no sense to me there is that much difference between the pricing simply because one lubes though the outer race and the other though the inner race.

Last edited:
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,959  
Want to give a big (y) to Carrie at Flail Master, she called me this morning to say she had located the bearings (10 actually) and at a better price point than I had found so far. She expects to have them in hand by weeks end and to me next week.

She went out of her way to help where many others would have said it was obsolete and dropped it. Highly recommend you check with them if you need parts.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,960  
Want to give a big (y) to Carrie at Flail Master, she called me this morning to say she had located the bearings (10 actually) and at a better price point than I had found so far. She expects to have them in hand by weeks end and to me next week.

She went out of her way to help where many others would have said it was obsolete and dropped it. Highly recommend you check with them if you need parts.
I too have had very good service from Flail Master. I believe too that it was Carrie that was so much help.

I replaced the rear roller bearings on my Caroni last year. I wound up getting the bearings from Agri Supply to ensure a proper fit. $104 each. Having no experience replacing bearings it was frustrating. Getting the old outer races out 😤😤😤 PITA. The freezer trick installing the new ones was great! They dropped right in. 👍