Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,521  
The rear casters/gauge wheels are for higher cutting heights than the rest roller is capable of cutting and rougher terrain due to the larger diameter.
This ^^^^

Also typically you only see rear wheels on crop shredders. For normal use as a flail mower the rear roller works better.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,522  
Yes, it does have a standard roller like most flails. I’m going to try and get some gauge wheels for it. The blades are toast and will require a good sharpening before I use it next. I love not having windrows and I can’t wait to see the quality of cut with sharp blades
Do you have a source for new blades? I've found new knives for my antiquated Alamo flail are very inexpensive. If yours are too, it might pay to replace them rather than to try to sharpen them. That way the whole batch would represent a full set of spares for you which could be sharpened as needed.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,523  
Do you have a source for new blades? I've found new knives for my antiquated Alamo flail are very inexpensive. If yours are too, it might pay to replace them rather than to try to sharpen them. That way the whole batch would represent a full set of spares for you which could be sharpened as needed.

No source yet. I can’t find anything that resembles them anywhere. Looks almost like one side of a Y blade.
I can reverse these when one side goes dull. The biggest hurdle will be removing them, which is why I’m gonna sharpen first while they are still on the mower.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,524  
No source yet. I can’t find anything that resembles them anywhere. Looks almost like one side of a Y blade.
I can reverse these when one side goes dull. The biggest hurdle will be removing them, which is why I’m gonna sharpen first while they are still on the mower.
Surely the "rod" that holds each row must be removable, loosening them one row at a time. I'd be most concerned about figuring out how it goes back together first before pulling the rods ! Cannot tell much from the pictures. That is really quite a "relic" though undoubtedly still very functional. Hopefully someone else who owns one will see your posts and speak up here.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,525  
Through an unrelated search, I happened across a photo that lead me to the JD site, and you might check out Models 10, 15, 15A, and 972. They all seem to use that sickle style blade. I can't imagine they made a bunch of different blades like that without just reusing what they already had.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,526  
My guess would be a 25a. Never seems that blade arrangement though. Not a Deere expert though they do interest me. Someone way more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly. Congrats
That doesn't look like any 25A I've ever seen. It also looks to be built heavier than a 25A.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,527  
That doesn't look like any 25A I've ever seen. It also looks to be built heavier than a 25A.

I have a 25a that was a project which I never finished and I eventually It’s definitely much heavier than my 25a. I’m going to hunt for a plate this afternoon and measure for gauge wheels

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,528  
Actually, check out a John Deere 26.

The shadow of "26" is on the sheet metal in your second picture.