Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,601  
Here are the pics. The irony is when it threw the belt it was working very well. I agree that this unit for sure has its quirks. It runs in reverse to my understanding. When I use it the grass clippings is thrown all over the back of the tractor. However I did put all new blades on the flail. It does chop the grass very well. If someone has this model and can post pics of their belt setup? thanks a ton guys.

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 100
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,602  
even with the idler pulley off the belt is too tight. Seems strange that it would be this tough.
That means it is the wrong belt.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,604  
Hi all, New flail owner. After reading almost all this thread, I bought a Titan fl165. Not impressed with cut I'm getting. It has the hammer blades on it and I'm trying to cut heavy clover and hay that hasn't been mowed this season. It will bog my L3800 hst unless I just crawl. I'm wondering if the included y grass blades would work better. They are not as sharp like the hammers are. Hammers are packing full of hay and not cleaning out. Running at 540, level and in 2nd hole from highest setting. Ground is rough but not terrible was planted in oats with grass seed mix last season.
Yes, switch to the Y-blades, hammers are for brush.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,605  
Yes, switch to the Y-blades, hammers are for brush.
You will notice a huge difference with the Y knives.

Generally speaking you'll hit your area up with the hammer knives to clear it out of brush and saplings. Then you mow it with the Y knives thereafter or as needed.

Think of it as hammer knives as a bush hog, and Y knives as a finish mower.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,606  
They did sell toe guards for the reverse rotation machines to keep that debris from hitting the back of the tractor. I doubt you'll find an OEM unit now, but you might be able to knock one out if you're decent at fabrication...

So yea, looks like the idler should be inside the belt on your unit. Still think that's a higher input RPM gearbox, but if it works for you otherwise, have at it once you get the belt on.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,607  
Last edited:
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,608  
Thanks toolslinger. I think what you are saying makes good sense.
Thanks Xfaxman: agreed that the belt seems short. Thanks for the picture.

Cheers guys

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,609  
Hi all, New flail owner. After reading almost all this thread, I bought a Titan fl165. Not impressed with cut I'm getting. It has the hammer blades on it and I'm trying to cut heavy clover and hay that hasn't been mowed this season. It will bog my L3800 hst unless I just crawl. I'm wondering if the included y grass blades would work better. They are not as sharp like the hammers are. Hammers are packing full of hay and not cleaning out. Running at 540, level and in 2nd hole from highest setting. Ground is rough but not terrible was planted in oats with grass seed mix last season.

Hello and good morning ColdRider,

I want to welcome you as the newest resident member of the "Flail Mower Nations" from
The Great State of MAINE.

Heavy brush mowing/shredding will bog down a flail mower and or burn up the V belts unless
you operate at a crawl or have massive horsepower available to use.

The side slicer knives will cut/clip the heavy grass more effectively for you and recut it to make
the clippings smaller to allow them to dissolve into the soil faster for compost.

A properly sharpened side slicer knife will have a cutting edge with a 37 degree cutting edge on it.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,610  
Thanks for the replies. I'll try the y blades. No cutting today, first real rain in a long time.