Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,141  
Hello Jeff,

The excavator size you describe has too little a flow rate for a hydraulic drive flail shredder mower.

How difficult/time consuming would it be to cut slopes less than 15 degrees around these areas?
Looking for some justification to buy a smaller mini excavator and get rid of my 3 point bh a small mower attachment helps my justification and would be used fairly extensively. I've used small mini ex's under 6k and was amazed the amount of work you can do with one given time and some experience, plus the smaller size really helps in the tight areas I'll be using it. Don't want or need larger pieces of equipment plus the price puts it out of justification. My question is why don't they make a flail or brush cutter for the smaller mini ex's used for lighter jobs and property maintenance?
Thanks J

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,142  
The forestry/flail mower attachments are heavy and require a huge amount of flow and torque because the forestry flail mower rotor heads are very heavy and require a huge hydraulic motor and flow rate to run the forestry mower.
If that mule in your avatar is the mule you have perhaps you should be looking at a boom mounted orchard and vineyard flail shredder mower as it would work well as long as the rear tires are loaded with liquid ballast.

The Brush Hound 30EX excavator flail mower made by by Valley Tool and Manufacturing weighs 792 pounds and requires 12 gallons per minute to operate the gear type hydraulic motor.
The excavator weight range required for this attachment is 8,000-13,000 pounds to provide enough weight to safely use this specific flail mower attachment.

You need a lot of weight with a cast weight mounted in the frame rails or removable weight plates on the rear of a zero tail swing excavator to counter the load weight of 792 pounds at the end of the standard length upper boom and standard length dipper boom on an excavator with the weight of 8.000-13,000 pounds.

Last edited:
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,143  
So guys, I have been trying to read through this thread but I jumped in at the end here because I ran across a Nova ditch mower for sale at a golf course near me. The claim they did not use it a lot because the angle and length of their ditches were to steep. They are ordering a RC on a boom. $1200 so I jumped on it. Hopefully a good purchase and should work well with the grass at my place (I hope) I'm so new at this I know I am going to make a mistake or 2 and this may or may not be one :)

View attachment 699419

It looks like a deal for $1200, but is that hydraulic cylinder "rod" bent or is the photo deceiving?

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,144  
It looks like a deal for $1200, but is that hydraulic cylinder "rod" bent or is the photo deceiving?
I know the rod end is lower, but it sure looks bent.
I added a straight red line parallel to the cylinder:

bent.JPG

A good hydraulic shop can straighten it (y) .

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,145  
The forestry/flail mower attachments are heavy and require a huge amount of flow and torque because the forestry flail mower rotor heads are very heavy and require a huge hydraulic motor and flow rate to run the forestry mower.
If that mule in your avatar is the mule you have perhaps you should be looking at a boom mounted orchard and vineyard flail shredder mower as it would work well as long as the rear tires are loaded with liquid ballast.

The Brush Hound 30EX excavator flail mower made by by Valley Tool and Manufacturing weighs 792 pounds and requires 12 gallons per minute to operate the gear type hydraulic motor.
The excavator weight range required for this attachment is 8,000-13,000 pounds to provide enough weight to safely use this specific flail mower attachment.

You need a lot of weight with a cast weight mounted in the frame rails or removable weight plates on the rear of a zero tail swing excavator to counter the load weight of 792 pounds at the end of the standard length upper boom and standard length dipper boom on an excavator with the weight of 8.000-13,000 pounds.
Totally understand what your saying but why isn't a smaller lighter duty brush or flail mower manufactured for smaller excavators with lower flow rates using a smaller drum or or brush cutter blade hence being able to use a lower flow smaller hydro motor, and a lighter duty frame, Personally I'd never consider a smaller excavator or light duty mower attachment if my intended purpose was to clear land.
Thanks for the reply J

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,146  
Yes bent. Not to expensive at 169

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,147  
Just received and ran my commercial grade Betstco 48" flail. Took a bit to get it assembled, only because the components weight so much. Man, this thing is built like a tank. Once assembled, I had to cut the PTO shaft by 4" to fit. I also had to get a longer Top link to allow for the Pats quick hitch. First run was nothing short of perfect. 1.5 acres cut in 40 minutes. Cut as good as my Grasshopper, and left no clumps. The grass was about a foot tall, which normally would cause clumping issues with the Grasshopper. Nowhere near as maneuverable as the Grasshopper, but great for getting the majority of the area cut. This mower was listed as requiring 22HP, but my BX23s handled it well. As far as unloading goes, I was able to take it off the truck with the BX, but I couldn't lift it more than 6" off the ground. Not too bad for a 650 lb load extended 4 feet out past the pins. So far, extremely satisfied.

Attachments

• P1050080.jpeg
    P1050080.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 137
  • P1050082.jpeg
    P1050082.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 130
  • P1050073.jpeg
    P1050073.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 125
  • P1050089.jpeg
    P1050089.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 134
  • P1050085c.jpeg
    P1050085c.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 134
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,148  
Hoping you guys can help me identify this flail mower I'm looking at. The seller says he doesn't know anything about it other than it works.
Thanks!
Screenshot_20210523-181115.jpg
Screenshot_20210523-181122.jpg
Screenshot_20210523-181103.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210523-181127.jpg
    Screenshot_20210523-181127.jpg
    740.3 KB · Views: 76
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,149  
I don't know the brand but if it does work, it hasn't in a while. What is the seller asking for it?

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,150  
It looks like a good project and will keep the next owner busy for a week or two while doing an overhaul and spending few hundred bucks on parts.