Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,131  
Well, that's not good...

20210520_201535.jpg

The roller was old and quite beat up already, and it finally gave way last night. I don't recall hitting anything, but it could have been when I was mowing the ditch it wasn't sitting on a flat surface and the weight with a bounce was enough to do it in. It could also have been when I ran over a stump that was level with the grass, but there was a sudden bump when I went over it. There must have already been a crack there and last night was the final straw. Because the roller was so beat up I bought new roller ends back when Flailmaster was clearancing everything out for their restructure plan. Now I just need to get the tube. I'll likely go with a thicker wall tube than factory as weight is not an issue for me with this tractor.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,132  
OY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can buy thick tube steel locally that would be best.
Do you have new rear roller bearings??

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,133  
3D3391E6-DF0A-472A-B738-8DBBCA849B8B.jpg

View attachment 699412

Became a member of FMN. I am impressed! Went this way because the swing of a rotary mower would not have fit through my trails.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,135  
OY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can buy thick tube steel locally that would be best.
Do you have new rear roller bearings??

I have new bearings, purchased when I bought the roller ends. I'll need to do some measuring and order the tubing through one of my vendors where I work.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,136  
So guys, I have been trying to read through this thread but I jumped in at the end here because I ran across a Nova ditch mower for sale at a golf course near me. The claim they did not use it a lot because the angle and length of their ditches were to steep. They are ordering a RC on a boom. $1200 so I jumped on it. Hopefully a good purchase and should work well with the grass at my place (I hope) I'm so new at this I know I am going to make a mistake or 2 and this may or may not be one :)

PXL_20210521_153317009.jpg

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,137  
So guys, I have been trying to read through this thread but I jumped in at the end here because I ran across a Nova ditch mower for sale at a golf course near me. The claim they did not use it a lot because the angle and length of their ditches were to steep. They are ordering a RC on a boom. $1200 so I jumped on it. Hopefully a good purchase and should work well with the grass at my place (I hope) I'm so new at this I know I am going to make a mistake or 2 and this may or may not be one :)

View attachment 699419

Great buy and sure to be handy. If it doesn’t work out let me know. Trying to decide between a side shift or ditchbank model.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,138  
Hi I'm wondering if anyone has or is using a flail or brush mower on a mini excavator under 6k lbs with less than 10 gpm hydro flow rate? It wouldn't be used for extensive deforestation or brush removal. Mostly weed control and maintenance around ponds, planted xmas trees, and ditch banks.
Thanks J
btw accidentally posted in wrong category.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,139  
Hello Momower,

I want to welcome you as the newest resident member of The Flail Mower Nations the the Keystone state.

Happy mowing.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,140  
Hello Jeff,

The excavator size you describe has too little a flow rate for a hydraulic drive flail shredder mower.

How difficult/time consuming would it be to cut slopes less than 15 degrees around these areas?

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Sany SY50 MP Hydraulic Thumb (A34573)
Sany SY50 MP...
CAT EXCAVATOR BUCKET... (A34808)
CAT EXCAVATOR...
1047 SIDE MOUNT BLADE (A34733)
1047 SIDE MOUNT...
Deere 17G (A34126)
Deere 17G (A34126)
1997 FORD SUPERDUTY SERVICE TRUCK, S/N 3FELF47F4VMA14329, PWR STROKE ENG, 5 SPD TRANS, OD READS (A34808)
1997 FORD...
SET OF 20' ENTRY GATES W/ DEER DESIGN (A34808)
SET OF 20' ENTRY...