Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year
Yes, I moved it around. Put it on the other fruit tree, on a pole near the trees, and on the roof over looking the trees. I know the tree produced, cause I saw all the green immature cherry starts after the blossoms fell off.
Two weeks later, I noticed all of the starts were gone.
I want to blame this on birds, but as I'm thinking about it, I've never seen a bird take a cherry off the tree. I have seen plenty of birds around the base of the tree.
I just read that some cherry varieties will produce a "pod," immature fruit, with out pollination. These non-pollinated pods never mature and just fall off the tree. I never knew that.
That maybe what is going on here.

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #22  
Yes, I moved it around. Put it on the other fruit tree, on a pole near the trees, and on the roof over looking the trees. I know the tree produced, cause I saw all the green immature cherry starts after the blossoms fell off.
Two weeks later, I noticed all of the starts were gone.
I want to blame this on birds, but as I'm thinking about it, I've never seen a bird take a cherry off the tree. I have seen plenty of birds around the base of the tree.
I just read that some cherry varieties will produce a "pod," immature fruit, with out pollination. These non-pollinated pods never mature and just fall off the tree. I never knew that.
That maybe what is going on here.
It could be that they never got pollinated. It could also be a disease. Or weather. We’ve had years with bumper crops, and years where everything fell off the tree. If I knew more and was willing to use more chemicals, I’m sure I’d have much better results.

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #23  
If the birds dont get the, the wasps and yellow jackets take a bite out of every ripe obe.

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #24  
Never tried cherries here. Had peaches and 'cots. Like grsthegreat - the birds and yellow jackets just WOULD NOT share. I get my fresh fruit from the farmers up at Green Bluff. Let them solve these problems.

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #25  
Never tried cherries here. Had peaches and 'cots. Like grsthegreat - the birds and yellow jackets just WOULD NOT share. I get my fresh fruit from the farmers up at Green Bluff. Let them solve these problems.
The bird gard device that I posted actually works. I use it in my orchard.

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #26  
Mid-Missouri zone 6A . Last year and this year, we picked 4 1/2 gallons of cherries from our Juliet Bush Cherry. I used 6 pieces of 1/2 inch pvc electrical conduit to make 3 arches over the bush, then stretched a bird net over it. Worked great. we love the cherries from the Juliet Bush; the cherries are slightly larger than sour (pie) cherries and sweeter. The catalogs say the bushes get 8 feet tall and wide, but ours may be a little larger. No more needing a ladder to pick cherries.

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #27  
In March this year I had blossoms on all my trees, apple, cherry, peach, plum, and pear. We got a unexpected freeze overnight and lost every blossom. I am preparing a few covers for 2024.

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #28  
I had a couple of olive trees and a few varieties of grape I tried to keep covered. I got tired of taking the birds out of the nets too. The last straw was when a Cardinal was stuck going for the grapes. Those beaks look huge when you're up close. I ran and got my heavy welding gloves to try and get him out. He was able to pinch a finger very hard through the thick leather. I got him out and free, but he was still holding onto the glove and my finder. I had to shake my hand to get him off. After that, I took down all the netting.

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #29  
IMG_1676.jpeg

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #30  
I tried the netting over the tree and almost ruined the tree trying to get it off. I just finished this cage that seems to keep away the birds, deer, and javelina. I’ll probably build 5 more, for the cherry trees, peach, pear, etc.