Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #1  

JasperFrank

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1220
Cherry hawk.jpg

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #2  
I managed to get 3 pies out of our two cherry trees last year. I call that a win! 🤣

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #3  
They do at my house, and i've pretty much given up on getting any of them.

SR

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #4  
I used bird netting a couple years. It works really well. However, you have to make sure it's bound up tight all the way around the trunk or you'll you have to remove the birds that get in from the bottom a couple times a day, or they'll die. They get hung up in the nets, especially if they get inside them. Mostly robins. They love the cherries. I think I get more enjoyment out of watching momma robins poking cherries in their baby's beaks than I do eating the sour cherries, so no more netting.

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #5  
We have what used to be a weeping ornamental which turned out to be a cherry tree (10 years later) and had lots of cherries one or two years but now the frost gets the blooms

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #6  
Between frosts, birds, bears..... We have had a hard time getting more than a couple tea cups of cherries, wild, tame, or of any kind for the last 2-3 years.. But then we are growing zone 2, so it tends to not be easy at best...

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #7  
I have one of these for my fruit orchard. It’s not cheap but works well. It randomly emits calls of hawks and bird distress sounds and it does a pretty good job of greatly reducing bird damage to my orchard.

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year
I've had the Decoy Hawk up for 1 month and two weeks and the birds have already learned to ignore the decoy. :(

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #9  
My cherry tree got some disease and died some time ago. But before that put a net over it. It was a plastic mesh thing that just draped over the tree. PITA to put on and take off, but it worked.