Let's discuss deer fencing...

/ Let's discuss deer fencing...
I've spent a hour or so looking on the web for a device that could extend the height of an existing wood post by 3' foot... and I found nada... This seems to me to be an item that "should" exist, but darn if I can find it. My thought was to use shorter CCA wooden posts to cut down on the expense, then suppliment the height with a simple brace that extends the post height by three foot, then add high tensile wire (3 strands) to the extensions to create a fence that is 7' tall. This would also allow me to use existing fence already in place. Anyone know where I could find such an extension? One could also use the same extender on a taller post to create a fence height the deer could not leap.

/ Let's discuss deer fencing... #22  
The key is not how high it is that the deer know it hurts, we ran a one barbwire fence around our gardens and even though there were many deer in the hay field that circled the garden no deer came in the garden. My sister did the same thing and it did not work until she wiped the whole thing down with syrup. No more deer in the garden. I just wish I could have seen the deer when they licked the fence. :shocked:

/ Let's discuss deer fencing... #23  
I've spent a hour or so looking on the web for a device that could extend the height of an existing wood post by 3' foot... and I found nada... This seems to me to be an item that "should" exist, but darn if I can find it. My thought was to use shorter CCA wooden posts to cut down on the expense, then suppliment the height with a simple brace that extends the post height by three foot, then add high tensile wire (3 strands) to the extensions to create a fence that is 7' tall. This would also allow me to use existing fence already in place. Anyone know where I could find such an extension? One could also use the same extender on a taller post to create a fence height the deer could not leap.

What about angle iron? How nice it looks is up to the how much work you want to do. I put my extension posts every 30'.

/ Let's discuss deer fencing... #24  
What I have experienced---
Deer just love hostas, seems like it is desert to them. They chomp all my hostas all the time.
Now we also have a number of wind chimes and (I think ) being curious deer come to see and then taste the hostas.
Last year all the chimes got damaged from an ice storm and I did not repair them however the neighbor installed many chimes and coincidentally I had no hosta chomping but the neighbor just about cried as all hers were chomped down to nothing!
I'll add that my wife scatters sachets of scented soap (irish spring) as she read that repels deer.
Coincidence ? or an actual , either way we will continue doing this as it seems to work.(and encourage the neighbor to add more chimes)

And the population is not down, if anything way up as I see does and fawns every day. Even saw my first piebald deer last fall.
(A piebald kinda looks like a spotted pinto pony.)

/ Let's discuss deer fencing... #25  

I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for, but where I can't use a mature tree to hang my deer fence from, I use some of these 4' fence posts, then screw an 8', 1.5"x2" PT post into it to give me 8' of above ground clearance. The PT posts were cut down from 2x4's on my table saw. Found it much easier to pound in 4' posts than 8 footers while standing on a ladder. The 4' metal posts have holes in them just about perfect for a wood screw.

4 ft. x 3-1/2 in. x 1-1/2 in. Steel Post-901154A at The Home Depot

/ Let's discuss deer fencing...
I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for, but where I can't use a mature tree to hang my deer fence from, I use some of these 4' fence posts, then screw an 8', 1.5"x2" PT post into it to give me 8' of above ground clearance. The PT posts were cut down from 2x4's on my table saw. Found it much easier to pound in 4' posts than 8 footers while standing on a ladder. The 4' metal posts have holes in them just about perfect for a wood screw.

4 ft. x 3-1/2 in. x 1-1/2 in. Steel Post-901154A at The Home Depot
That might just work in a reverse fashion. I could attached these to the existing 5" round CCA posts to get the extra height I'm looking for... :scratchchin:

/ Let's discuss deer fencing... #27  
That might just work in a reverse fashion. I could attached these to the existing 5" round CCA posts to get the extra height I'm looking for... :scratchchin:

You might to get the step in electric fencing post and drill a hole in the top your wood post. Looking at Tractor supply it looked like some of the post might lend themselves to working this way. Or maybe screw or staple a fiberglass one to the side of the post.

/ Let's discuss deer fencing... #28  
I lived in a zoo, consequently I only know how to keep animals in.
but I should think 8' chain link topped with 3 strands of barb leaning outwards, all set on a gentle downhill approach, that should do it.

/ Let's discuss deer fencing... #29  
2012-08-30_15-11-55_673.jpgForumRunner_20120209_140843.png

You can see our fence in the background of this picture. 12' long post, 8' tall deer fence. It will keep deer in or out depending on your use. Fence is around $450-$500 a roll now (330 foot rolls) but it will last a long time and will take a lot of abuse.

/ Let's discuss deer fencing... #30  
I'd like to know the answer to this question myself. I have fenced off about a quarter acre of my front yard for years to protect our ornamental shrubs from them deer, but the last two years they've been getting in somehow and it's driving me crazy. Been using the 7' heavy black plastic deer fencing. This year I raised it up to 8' or so in most places by putting eye bolts into trees then running clothes line through the eye bolts, then zip tie the fencing to the line every 4' or so. Used nails at the base of the tree to hook the fence and hold it down. If they're jumping it, I can't find an obvious marks in the snow where they're doing it. They come at night or early morning when we're sleeping, so haven't been able to "witness" it firsthand. Even looked into one of those motion activated cameras but it's a crap shoot where to place it, plus too much money.

I will say this - worked like a charm for years. I think we've got some smart-arsed deer that's evolved to figure out how to get in. Maybe I only need to get rid of that one deer? Arggg!

Deer will go under a fence. We have a divider fence and there is a low spot where the deer wore it out. One deer found if she put her head under the chain link there she could push herself through. once she did it all the other deer soon learned how to go under a heavy gauge chain link fence. All of our exterior fences are staked to the ground every 5'.