Learned a lesson, the hard way

/ Learned a lesson, the hard way #11  
When I was looking for a backhoe, a local contractor tried to sell me a Deere 710 that he had just bought at auction. He said it needed a new engine, and the price was low enough to have me go take a look at it. The more I looked, the less I wanted it. He said it ran great at the Auction, but when he got it home, it had no power. It turned out that somebody had put a BB in the injector lines to hide the dead cylinders. He also said that it came from the Dealer in that area of Houston, and he believes the dealer did that to sell it with a known problem that they where hiding.

When my Case dozer had a hydraulic issue, my dealer said that they don't repair hydraulic pumps, they only install new replacement pumps, which cost $25,000 for the pump, plus labor and other parts that might be needed. They also said that I should turn down the pumps so it isn't an obvious issue and sell it at the auction. I ended up pulling the pump and having a shop rebuild it for $2,000

Auctions scare me

/ Learned a lesson, the hard way
Like I said previously, I've sold implements on Tractor House in the past but I'm always up front and honest about the condition and if there are any issues. I guess not everyone is up front as I found out.

Should have been there and inspected it in person, but then it was 900 miles away. Learned my lesson, the hard way.

/ Learned a lesson, the hard way #13  
Four words fraught with danger: "As is, where is."

Advice always comes after you have made your move (ordering the SC-25). Shaver, who I think manufactures for other brands, makes a larger machine (SC-50) rated for 100HP. I do not know prices. Back in 2013, Piston, a member on this site, raved about his SC-50 that he got used.

Both Quick Attach and Erskine (same Parent company) offer 24” (25-60HP) and 34” (45-90HP) PTO stump grinders. From the advertising videos and parts diagrams I think the same size models are the same machine. I bought the QA 25” in 2021 for around $5K with which I am satisfied. I live on rocky soil and excavate around a stump before grinding. When I took out a 48” oak stump I shaved it with 1/8” -1/4" passes and had to use a pickaxe to dig out many imbedded “pebbles”. I wish you better soil.

No rocks here, just blow sand so the carrbides should go a while plus they are 3 sided. Land Pride builds their own articulated stump grinder btw. Land Pride (Great Plains) uses Green manufacturing carbide teeth btw.

Gave or will give should I say, 5500 for it from my dealer, delivered to the farm. Got some big ones and a bunch of smaller ones once I get it plus I have 3 more storm damaged maples to remove yet. Had a heck of a blow down up here about a month ago. Been sawing and sawing, seems like forever. Sharpening chains too. Even bought an Oregon chain grinder, tired of hand filing.

Looked at the Baumalight articulated stumper but the price was way higher. Least disposal of the wood isn't an issue. All spoken for. We don't heat with wood anyway. Never have. One of my good friends takes it all and spilts it and sells it to local campgrounds, it's his retirement income.

I would have liked to buy a Rayco or Vermeer tracked machine but they are well beyond my price range and all the used ones I looked at looked flogged.

Had excellent luck with Landpride implements, in fact I have one of their bat wing mowers as well as 9 foot wide flat deck shredder.

Already having the neighbors inquiring about grinding their stumps too. I won't do it cheap, count on that.

As an aside, I looked hard at the QA stumper but could not come to terms with them. They wanted 100% payment up front, I don't do that as a rule. I do 50% down and the balance on delivery plus I'm tax exempt and they didn't like that either so I bought it from my local dealer, he knows I'm TE on any farm related equipment and I trust him.. I don't know those people from mud.

100% payment up front leaves you with no recourse from in transit damage or anything else...

And the QA stumper was more than the LP anyway.

It has always seemed to me that unless you’re an arborist using a grinder regularly, it would be cheaper to rent those. Because after grinding your stumps, what do you do with that implement?
Not even here yet and the word is out.. I need to quote a job on the other side of town when I get a chance. Go price one (and not a wimpy push one). How about 2100 bucks for a weekend? Told my Kubota dealer my plan, use it and sell it. He said the work will come, guess it is...

/ Learned a lesson, the hard way #17  
I bought a Baumalight grinder a few months ago, and I've covered about 60% of the grinder cost so far without even trying. In my area it's difficult to get tree companies to handle the stumps period... They just don't seem to want to do it.
I'm charging a flat rate of $200 per hour, or $3 per inch.

/ Learned a lesson, the hard way #18  
There are two reasons I ALWAYS buy brand new implements. 1 - I've yet to find any used implements, of Cat 2 size, in my area. This is after 40+ years of searching. 2 - the experiences of 5030, Eddie Walker and many others.

I'll make my own boo - boos with implements. I don't need to be buying those made by others.