Learn Me About JD 5E Series

/ Learn Me About JD 5E Series #31  
1682971857428.png

1682971917807.png

1682972039777.png

That's all I have to say about that.

/ Learn Me About JD 5E Series #32  
The 5Ms are now also built entirely in India as of the FY23 refresh according to Deere's website. The larger 5Es are now assembled in Saltillo, Mexico, I assume using Indian components, while the smaller ones are still assembled in Georgia.

/ Learn Me About JD 5E Series #33  
Deere's trim level letters are noted by Deere to be that the earlier the letter in the alphabet, the simpler the tractor, and the later the letter in the alphabet, the more deluxe. "E" comes before "M" so an "E" tractor in the same series is going to be more basic than the "M" model. There is really no great comparator to the 3 cylinder 5E anywhere else in Deere's lineup. The 3 cylinder 5E uses a noticeably shorter wheelbase than the 4 cylinder 5E but is also a full-sized machine with only geared transmissions and a planetary MFWD unlike the 4 series compacts. The 4 cylinder 5E would be much better comparator to the 5M as they are basically the same size and with the exception of the 5075M (which uses the same engine as the 5075E), use the same engine.

The cabbed 5Es have all offered buddy seats since MY18 if I remember correctly.

The 5Ds were based on a different chassis and used a different transmission than any 5E did. They were basically just the 2WD 5105 and 5205 with the "new" naming scheme. They were an India-market tractor that Deere decided to briefly bring here.

For some reason people compare the 5M to the 3 cylinder 5E, which makes little sense as the 3 cylinder 5E is made on a noticeably smaller chassis. I suspect it comes from the 5075M, which is the 5075E's 3029H turbocharged and aftercooled engine in the 5M chassis in order to give Deere an option in that chassis size but not require DEF. The 4 cylinder 5E has the same wheelbase as the 5M and is really a better comparator for all other purposes.

All of the common-rail engines Deere makes are turbocharged and at least aftercooled, including the 2.9. I believe the larger sequential turbocharged units are also intercooled, but those are in far larger tractors than a 5 series, which are all single turbocharger. Deere quit making non-aftercooled turbocharged diesels when they quit making mechanically-injected engines.

The 75 HP units from all makers regardless of chassis size are really popular since they are the largest ones that don't require DEF. It seems that based on what I see on dealer lots and showing up as lease returns that DEF made anything larger than 75 HP but under about 100-110 HP pretty unappealing. The 85 and 90 HP machines are the smallest ones that require DEF and most who would have gotten one either went with a 75 HP machine or got a machine that was noticeably larger (usually 120+ HP) if they needed more than 75 HP and knew they'd have to muck with DEF. I suspect this is why the 5085E/5090E are not that much more on the used market than a 5075E and why few discuss a 3 cylinder vs. 4 cylinder 5E. Around here, the jump is from a 5075E to a 6120M or 6130M for the most part.

The current MY2023 3 cylinder 5Es are available with optional tires the same size as the 4 cylinder 5Es, although putting the 11.2-24 or 12.4-24 fronts on really widens up the turning radius compared to the 9.5-24s as the steering stops have to be set pretty far out to prevent rubbing against the side cowling. If you need a really maneuverable 3 cylinder 5E, the 2WD units will turn a whole lot tighter than any MFWD 5E (either 3 or 4 cylinder) and use the same front axle as the 2WD 5Ms.
I somewhat surmised the first hp size to require def was the reason for the close pricing. Having to use Def really isn’t much bother now that I’ve gotten use to it and for me to get so much more tractor for so little difference in price was well worth the trade off. Question, if I understand you correctly the 5075E does have a aftercooler? (Aftercooler not intercooler which I should of called it previously) . The JD website only listed the 5090E as turbocharged and aftercooled but the 5075E only turbocharged 🤔. I will say so far I really like the 5E , someways more than the 5M

/ Learn Me About JD 5E Series #34  
I somewhat surmised the first hp size to require def was the reason for the close pricing. Having to use Def really isn’t much bother now that I’ve gotten use to it and for me to get so much more tractor for so little difference in price was well worth the trade off. Question, if I understand you correctly the 5075E does have a aftercooler? (Aftercooler not intercooler which I should of called it previously) . The JD website only listed the 5090E as turbocharged and aftercooled but the 5075E only turbocharged 🤔. I will say so far I really like the 5E , someways more than the 5M

All of the 5 series machines, regardless if they are 3 or 4 cylinder, 5E, 5M, or 5R, are turbocharged and aftercooled. It wasn't until you went back to the Tier 2 units that you had turbocharged but not aftercooled engines. My Final Tier 4 5075E certainly has one, it sits right ahead of the radiator.

Deere's website is generally pretty good but it does have more than a few errors in the technical specifications.

/ Learn Me About JD 5E Series #35  
I see , yeah every now and then I find obvious mistakes on other mfgs specs also. Aftercooler is a nice feature performance booster , glad Deere does it . I’m a little new to the JD’s , so far so good 🤞.