Leaks are Driving me ....

/ Leaks are Driving me .... #1  

Oldtoad

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4310, Bolens-Isiki
Old faithful woodsplitter is a workhorse, processed many cords of wood.
'90's MTD tiltable I-beam, 8hp B&S original motor, everything hydraulic has been replaced.
But it leaks, fix one thing, another squirter erupts, drips go postal.
Thinking of going to a hydraulic shop. Nothing close by, means a hike...
Ideas?

/ Leaks are Driving me .... #3  
Depends on the connection type. If they're NPT threads, thread sealant. If they're JIC, just snugging them should work, absolutely no sealant. If they're ORB fittings, no sealant, and just tighten them. If still leaking, replace the O-Ring. I never use teflon tape on hydraulics. Something like Oatey's Great White or similar.
If it's leaking someplace else, obviously you've got another issue, but usually it's just a fitting someplace that vibrated loose.

/ Leaks are Driving me .... #5  
Also, I don't know your machine specifically, but I've got rubber shock mounts on my splitter. They were a combination of rock hard, or missing after 40 years. I replaced all of them, and the vibrations away from the engine mounting plate calmed down nicely. Could be a cause for connections getting loose on you.

/ Leaks are Driving me .... #6  
I'm also curious what's leaking specifically. Makes a big difference in trouble shooting/repairing. If stuff is randomly blowing (like a hose) I'd look at your valves since it's an older unit and maybe service that and make sure your over pressure bypass is functioning.

/ Leaks are Driving me ....
Where is it leaking from? Hose fittings? Cylinder or pump seals?
All fittings have leaked since the hydraulic rebuild.
New cylinder, pump and control.
Have been going over them, taping and tightening.
Had the mechanic over, he taped and tightened, stopped the leaks, but a squirter came back the next day of usage.
Thinking maybe replace all the fittings and lines if need be. Weak link perhaps.

Loctite?
At first dismissed this, on second thought, a little dab might do it.

Last edited:
   / Leaks are Driving me .... #9  
Have been going over them, taping and tightening.
Had the mechanic over, he taped and tightened, stopped the leaks, but a squirter came back the next day of usage.

Try a real thread sealant. You'll be surprised. I hate working with it as it's messy, but it works so much better than tape, it is well worth that slight headache. If it happens to be Loctite brand, fine, but you don't need/want a threadlocker.

/ Leaks are Driving me ....
Depends on the connection type. If they're NPT threads, thread sealant. If they're JIC, just snugging them should work, absolutely no sealant. If they're ORB fittings, no sealant, and just tighten them. If still leaking, replace the O-Ring. I never use teflon tape on hydraulics. Something like Oatey's Great White or similar.
If it's leaking someplace else, obviously you've got another issue, but usually it's just a fitting someplace that vibrated loose.
Had to look up the fittings and the Oatey's, thanks.
Old stuff likely vibrates loose.
Going out and give the rig a look over before I ship it off.