Leaking steering knuckle

/ Leaking steering knuckle #1  

blondee

Tractor
2210 john deere
Leaking steering knuckle seal on a 2210 john deere tractor. Anybody ever done one before. Any help would be appreciated.

/ Leaking steering knuckle #2  
Do you have the service tech manual for the JD 2210? That would help.

/ Leaking steering knuckle
Yes I have the technical service manual but it doesn't have anything on replacing the steering knuckle seal.

/ Leaking steering knuckle #4  
Not familiar but.. If the seal is leaking, it usually means either the through pin or the bushings are shot and sometimes both. Once the knuckle gets enough slop in it, the seal won't keep the gear oil in anymore. The easiest way to ascertain if it is sloppy is, jack up the front axle, remove the wheel and tire and grab the outboard and try to wiggle it up and down and if there is any appreciable slop, either the through rod or the bushings are shot and need renewed. Usually the bushings as they are made from babbit material and wear before the through rod does.

Taking it apart is easy and so is re assembly but you need to be very careful replacing the seal and make sure the seal surface it contacts is very clean.

On my Kubota's at least, bushing removal and replacement is fairly easy but you need a suitable bushing driver to remove and replace them.

Once they start leaking, bushing or through rod replacement is required and be apprised, the outer assembly is heavy so it takes 2 guys or a cherry picker to remove it.

Pretty common on tractors with front loaders or tractors that are used to farm with.

If you are uncomfortable with it, have your local dealer replace it.

Your tech manual will call out the wear limits for the bushings and rod/pin. If either are not within those wear limits, they are shot.

/ Leaking steering knuckle #5  
the outer assembly is heavy so it takes 2 guys or a cherry picker to remove it.
The 2210 is the same size as the 2305, 1023, 1025. While this is certainly true of larger tractors, the 2210 is one size up from the larger X series garden tractors and the hubs are relatively small. But yes they are heavier than they look and a dropped/broken casting is expensive

/ Leaking steering knuckle #6  
Like I said, not familiar with a JD but they all share the same internal components and bushings. Mine are heavy however. Again, first thing to do is remove the wheel with the axle lifted and ascertain how much vertical slop there is. I suspect quite a bit because the lip seals are capable of overcoming some slop but once it becomes excessive, they will leak and it only gets worse, never better.

/ Leaking steering knuckle
Ok thanks for your help.