Leaking PHD Gearbox

/ Leaking PHD Gearbox #1  

lantxinNETX

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035 HST, Bradco 485 Backhoe
I have a County Line PHD that I bought new way back in 2012. Used it a few times in the first few years of ownership then just stored it. For the first 6 years of it's life I stored it hanging upright. No problems. Then in 2018 I moved and the PHD came along. But it layed on its side for the better part of the last three years. A couple of weeks ago I had a need (finally) to use it. Picked it up with the 3Pt and checked the oil level. Filled it up as per the manual. After using it to make a couple of holes, kept it attached to the tractor. Next day I discovered that there is oil leaking out of the gear box down the auger. It is still dripping oil.

I don't use it enough to spend a lot of money on a fix . . . I can deal with the leak and just keep topping it off as needed. But will any of the automotive 'stop leak' type products be of any help with this type of leak?

Thanks

Martin

/ Leaking PHD Gearbox #2  
See if you can pull a manual from their website that shows a parts breakdown. There may (should) be a replaceable oil seal that probably only costs a few bucks. I just replaced one on a finish mower.

/ Leaking PHD Gearbox #3  
Treat it like a gearbox on a bush hog, fill it with Corn Head grease also known as NLGI #0. It is a near fluid grease and it won't leak. I get mine from John Deere plenty cheap enough.

/ Leaking PHD Gearbox #4  
Most any tractor parts dealer will have it (Not TSC). I use it in my Troy Bilt Horse tiller. The tine shaft is worn and it won't hold gear oil. Have the same PHD, same vintage and it leaked as well. Has corn head grease in it now.

/ Leaking PHD Gearbox #5  
Treat it like a gearbox on a bush hog, fill it with Corn Head grease also known as NLGI #0. It is a near fluid grease and it won't leak. I get mine from John Deere plenty cheap enough.
Did that for an old thrashed flail mower. New seals were going to cost more than the mower was worth (not much at all). Ran fine until I replaced it. Wouldn't hesitate to do the same thing for a cheap rarely used PHD either.

It's just a cheap gearbox. A mix of normal grease & gear oil will do you fine for the rest of its lifetime (what, maybe a dozen hours possibly few dozen for most people).

/ Leaking PHD Gearbox #6  
TSC stocks super S cotton picker grease 00viscosity in squeeze quarts . I’ve used it in a leaking seal on a land pride rototiller chain drive case, worked good. I believe it’s comparable to the Deere corn head grease.

/ Leaking PHD Gearbox #7  
TSC stocks super S cotton picker grease 00viscosity in squeeze quarts . I’ve used it in a leaking seal on a land pride rototiller chain drive case, worked good. I believe it’s comparable to the Deere corn head grease.

Yes this. I seem to find it stocked with the drawbars and top links rather than with the oils and grease in my local stores for some reason.

/ Leaking PHD Gearbox #8  
Lucas makes a gear box/axle oil you can add that helps stop leaking seals. I have used it with some success If you dont feel like draining and doing the Deere corn head grease. Just another “tool in the toolbox” of stopping leaks.

/ Leaking PHD Gearbox #9  
JC Whitney sells some engine rebuild pellets in a can. Maybe you can fit some into your fill hole and let the pellets do their work. Or you can go ahead and burn up something that costs over a grand to replace, over a two dollar seal.

/ Leaking PHD Gearbox #10  
JC Whitney sells some engine rebuild pellets in a can. Maybe you can fit some into your fill hole and let the pellets do their work. Or you can go ahead and burn up something that costs over a grand to replace, over a two dollar seal.
Lol, that’s pretty funny.
I think the issue is that it’s an older auger and the $2 seal part price is a little less important than the time needed to replace the seal.