Leaking Battery Acid & Paint Damage

/ Leaking Battery Acid & Paint Damage #1  

gumshu

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 2025R TLB, Kubota L4802 and Can Am Defender HD7
I have a CT235 and I use it on a hillside. I'm suprised Bobcat did not ship this unit with a no maintenance battery. Battery acid all over the lower grill and battery support plate. It ate through the paint on the lower grill and thebattery support plate. It's easy enough to remove the battery and paint the battery support plate, but removing the grill mesh from the lower plastic frame is not so easy.

The metal grill slides over little plastic posts on the grill frame and is held in place with metal locking clamps that only slide in one way. Removing the clamps from the plastic posts is going to be a trick. Has anyone had experiance with this? Thanks

/ Leaking Battery Acid & Paint Damage #2  
I've seen this mentioned a few times here on TBN. The conclusion was that it was the Bobcat batteries that were seeping acid. If you don't replace the battery, I suspect it will come back. I replaced mine with a battery from walmart. The corrosion was a mess.

/ Leaking Battery Acid & Paint Damage #3  
Piece of crap Excide batteries!
This is the same battery Mahindra has with the same result!
Get rid of that battery and put a Interstate in it.

/ Leaking Battery Acid & Paint Damage
Thanks guys. Just to be safe, I'm shopping for sealed battery. I don't wan't any more leaks. What a mess.

Last edited:
   / Leaking Battery Acid & Paint Damage #5  
I put a acidmat (works good) in and painted the area I am not replacing battery untill it is dead

/ Leaking Battery Acid & Paint Damage #6  
I had to clean up my battery and box also. So it is cause from a cheap battery leaking and should be replaced with a sealed one?

I had to clean up my battery and box also. So it is cause from a cheap battery leaking and should be replaced with a sealed one?

Yeap, just bought a sealed P1 Diehard at Sears. They list for $214 on the internet, but the salesman at the store gave it to me for $175 out the door. It has a 4 year replacement and 8 yr warrantee. I didn't really want to spend money on a battery, but I'm not going through this again. A little piece of mind.

/ Leaking Battery Acid & Paint Damage #8  
Did you guys try going back to your dealer? Seems to me should be under warrenty if leaking?

Did you guys try going back to your dealer? Seems to me should be under warrenty if leaking?
The dealer said it wasn't. Even if it was, they'd probably just replace it with the same. I do work on my hillside with my CT235 and don't want to chance this acid damage again.

/ Leaking Battery Acid & Paint Damage #10  
I have the CT235 and use it on hillsides also, only 25 hours on it so far. I guess I should replace with the sealed battery also, don't want to deal with the leaking acid mess!