Laying a pipe under a driveway

/ Laying a pipe under a driveway #11  
It's more of a loamy soil. Mostly sand.
I would give the air and elbow grease approach a try. If you use water, you run a very real risk of getting carried away, and then you'll have a dip and cracks at the pipe crossing.

/ Laying a pipe under a driveway #12  
My dad bought this house a couple years ago. Put in a new driveway last year. Had a flagpole put in last week. He wants a hardwired light system to light the the flag. Unfortunately the silly driveway is in the way.

What's the best DIY way to pound a pipe under the driveway? Is there a machine we can rent? Trying to save the old man money.
Have a chat with your local rental tool place and ask about "moles" and what they have to rent for getting conduit under a driveway. Around here, there are lots of choices.

You can get a 100' pipe cleaning snake from Amazon that fits onto a pressure washer. I have one that has four jets; one large one forward and three pointing in reverse, and it is quite good at pulling itself along pipe. Thread it through a 3/4 or 1" PVC and push it under, but you need a deep enough feeding pit to guide the pipe level and straight. Lots of videos on YouTube.

Ripping into asphalt would be really low on my personal list. I think that it never looks right again. I would put in some solar panels and a light first before tearing up asphalt.

Just my $0.02...

All the best,

Peter

/ Laying a pipe under a driveway #14  
Get a flag pole that has solar powered light on top.

/ Laying a pipe under a driveway #15  
I had to replace a water line that crossed an asphalt driveway. I elected to route the line next to the garage door. That way I only had to make one cut. It also meant I didn't have a patch in the middle of the drive, which I figured would never be quite right. The patch I did make was the transition from the drive to the concrete garage floor.

Doug in SW IA

/ Laying a pipe under a driveway
I had to replace a water line that crossed an asphalt driveway. I elected to route the line next to the garage door. That way I only had to make one cut. It also meant I didn't have a patch in the middle of the drive, which I figured would never be quite right. The patch I did make was the transition from the drive to the concrete garage floor.

Doug in SW IA
That's an idea. Cut where the asphalt meets the concrete.

I tried to talk him into solar but all the ones he used before don't last long.

/ Laying a pipe under a driveway #17  
That's an idea. Cut where the asphalt meets the concrete.

I tried to talk him into solar but all the ones he used before don't last long.
I would try a bigger set of panels and a large battery. Basically, I oversize the solar side of it to get through the inevitable ten days of grey weather. The cheap solar that I have seen use low efficiency/quality solar panels, low quality batteries, and yes, they don't last worth diddly. We run solar for a few things, and I have found that a 20-50W panel and an automotive battery in a case with the charger to be pretty solid, and low cost. You can use sealed lead acid or lithium, but they are more expensive. If it were me, I would start the plan from the wattage on the light, and your winter sun levels, available at PVWatts

If nothing else, it would buy you a few years to sort out the best route for you under the driveway.

All the best,

Peter

/ Laying a pipe under a driveway #18  
Cutting the asphalt and resurfacing it will never be the same, it will inevitably show, if there is a way around it or above it despite of the distance I would go with that... the slice in front of the garage or along the sealing of the house is a very good idea.

/ Laying a pipe under a driveway #19  
Dig a short trench on each side of the driveway. Hook a garden hose to a lenght of 3/4" pvc and turn water on. Push it under the driveway in trench on one side aiming to the trench on the other side.

/ Laying a pipe under a driveway #20  
I second the vote for solar.
Not a little flagpole unit, but a setup like used for RV’s. They can be had for a couple hundred bucks. Clamp the panel to the pole, or a frame, and set a battery in a plastic battery box next to the pole.
You’ll spend almost that much just in wiring , conduit, not even factoring in the labor.
I’d take the solar, external battery route all day, every day over messing with digging trenches, and messing with a new driveway.