Laundry - GE washer suspension fix needed

/ Laundry - GE washer suspension fix needed #11  
Our last washer had the shocks go bad so I replaced them. Then the drum mount broke so I had to buy a new washer. A couple years after I bought it the darn thing started making the same banging sound that the previous washer was making. I was mad that a two year old washer needed shocks already but I bought a set for about 60 bucks. When they arrived I took the washer apart and it wasn't bad shocks. It was bad assembly. A bracket that holds a valve had come loose and the drum was banging into it. I put it back securely and still have 4 new shocks sitting on a shelf. So I would advise making quite sure it is the shocks making the noise before buying new ones.
Eric

/ Laundry - GE washer suspension fix needed
They have inexpensive $100 or less for 4 replacement suspension spring assemblies on Amazon.

I would say if you can get a clone/replacement for under $200 for 4, go for it.

But $200 seems like a lot when the problem could be the drum bearing etc as others have indicated.
They seem to have a ton of the assemblies for whirlpool, maytag, etc. all for about $100 for 4, but I only found 1 on Amazon for GE, at ~$100 for all 4. And again, I opened up the washer and can see that it is the spring making noise.
But I can't predict what MAY fail next, and when.

Last edited:
   / Laundry - GE washer suspension fix needed #15  
@newbury I agree that Speed Queens are definitely built like tanks. They aren't the most efficient, but absolutely solid.
Our Speed Queen has a High Efficiency mode. We don't use it. No water restrictions here, and anything we use goes right back into the aquifer, so very little waste.

If we put it on heavy, large load, with extra rinse, it'll use 66 gallons of water in one cycle. 😮

/ Laundry - GE washer suspension fix needed
With the cost of water and electricity ($0.11/KwH) in NE Mississippi compared to the cost of a washing machine efficiency is triumphed by reliability and longevity.

/ Laundry - GE washer suspension fix needed #17  
They seem to have a ton of the assemblies for whirlpool, maytag, etc. all for about $100 for 4, but I only found 1 on Amazon for GE, at ~$100 for all 4. And again, I opened up the washer and can see that it is the spring making noise.
But I can't predict what MAY fail next, and when.
I read in your previous post about the item making noise. It seems that you determined the part making the noise was because it was in time with the drum movement. Of course whatever is making the noise is going to be in time with the drum movement. But that doesn't necessarily mean that whatever you are looking at is the thing making the noise. You are probably right though. Still, it may be a good idea to try to isolate the noise with a tube running from your ear to the part in question. Please understand I'm not trying to say you are wrong, because you probably aren't. I'm just trying to save you some money in case you are.
Eric

/ Laundry - GE washer suspension fix needed #18  
Our Speed Queen has a High Efficiency mode. We don't use it. No water restrictions here, and anything we use goes right back into the aquifer, so very little waste.

If we put it on heavy, large load, with extra rinse, it'll use 66 gallons of water in one cycle. 😮

😲 66 gallons. Wow! That's five loads for our machine, though given my recollection of the size of a Speed Queen load, that is definitely not the same size load. So not quite apples to apples. What I like best about ours is how dry the final spin gets the clothes, much drier than the Speed Queens that I have used in the past. That really saves energy and dollars on the dry cycle. ($0.32-$0.60/kWh)

Like your water, our water is in theory recycled in to an aquifer; what is not clear to me, given the rather complex geology around here, is whether it is the same aquifer that our well is on. I do know that our three nearest neighbors have different water quality from us, and from each other. Around here, it is not like the big, broad aquifers of the Midwest, but since we might be recycling our water, I do try not to put persistent chemical contaminants in to the aquifer. (No chlorinated, or fluorinated organic chemicals on the property, other than Teflon pans and pipe tape, recycle all machine fluids and items at the local hazardous waste center, etc.)

Side story on aquifers: When we were looking at properties, way back when, and we looked at lots of them, we looked at one ranch property that had a well in an aquifer that was perhaps an acre in size and perhaps 40' thick. We passed. The property has an unbelievable view of the whole San Francisco area, while nestled in a wooded mesa of a sort, surrounded by open space. I noticed that the current owner had to put in a pond (on a hillside!) for fire protection. My suspicion is that they have to truck water in. The property is in an area that is known for the mercury deposits and the smelters that ran 24x7 during the gold rush, and into the 1920s. I knew a mining engineer who wanted to mine the stream at the bottom of the valley as he believed it had on the order of a billion ounces of spilled mercury in it. So, yes, there were more than a few issues, real, and potential, with the property.

All the best,

Peter

/ Laundry - GE washer suspension fix needed #19  
Yep. Ours is all sand. So we're very careful to not spill chemicals, oil, etc. or we or our neighbors might be drinking it! :unsure:

/ Laundry - GE washer suspension fix needed #20  
We had a maytag but the tub was bouncing like
crazy so I purchased a Speed Queen wished that
I would have purchased the front loader instead of
the top loader. 5 year warranty and you will their
equipment is the laundrymats and they have been
in business since 1908

willy